Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times

Advertisements

If you sign up on some of the popular BMW forums, they have dealerships that have internet sales with good prices. Worth a little time to check out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 AM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
MSRP's have always been a marketing fiction.
Invoice numbers are actual hard numbers, but they don't count except as a starting point since dealers recognize that both sets of numbers are now available to the shopping public.

So what you have to do is shop! Research.
You can ask people here for opinions, or spend 10-15 man hours researching the net, getting the above numbers, for your exact make and model and factory options, plus any dealer incentives ("trunk money") etc.
Scan the Internet forums for your manufacturer,
for BMW that's:
Bimmerfest and BIMMERPOST
and get an idea of the local pricing.
Check KBB.com Costco's car sales program, and most helpful: edmunds.com

Then contact every dealership within 500 miles, telling them what you want and asking them for their best drive-away price, with all the extra fees spelled out. (Dealer Prep, Documents, Transport, etc).
The only variable should be their profit. They are due and earn a profit, but IMHO, $5k is too much (and $100 too little). Find one that will do an "Internet Deal".

Yes, this takes time and effort. But you are buying a $50k +/- car, not a $50 shirt. Doing the above will save you thousands of dollars. (No exaggeration, as I am telling you EXACTLY what I did, and I calculated I saved almost exactly $4,200 over local best deal).
This sounds like good advice! I did contact one other dealer in Charlotte, I gave them the specs of the car and asked for a price but they just jerked me around. Going to try other dealers and see what happens.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
AAB,
I assume you are dealing with BMW of Asheville, as I read you in the Western NC forum.
Simply imo, that dealership is not my fave, if there is such a thing as a good, fair BMW dealer in western NC/upstate SC...

A tad pricey imo, in terms of not much discount. They/some dealer can do much better, imo.

Shop around on the net, as noted by others. A hour or two drive may save you considerable dough.

You might want to sign up/do some reading/post that potential car in a very specific X5 & X3 forum; I rec'd XOutpost:
Xoutpost

A pricing thread from bimmerfest, also a good source of info on BMWs, Xs specifically:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791347
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 08-23-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 12:00 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
For that, get a new Grand Cherokee Diesel fully loaded to the gills..... stuff you'll never see in a BMW, like cooled seats, remote start that turns on the heated/cooled seats/steering wheel, etc. If you don't want diesel, get a 360HP V8. Still cheaper than the Bimmer.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:14 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
$50K for an X3 and a 4 banger at that? Nuts.

I would have a hard time justifying that as well! I like the size of the X3 but that much???? I see other options as a better value. I guess I am not under the Bimmer spell.

Last edited by Rogarven; 08-23-2014 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
like cooled seats, remote start that turns on the heated/cooled seats/steering wheel, etc.
What is this, the waterbed is coming back?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I would have a hard time justifying that as well! I like the size of the X3 but that much???? I see other options as a better value. I guess I am not under the Bimmer spell.
Not so much under the bimmer spell as I am wanting a luxury car. Looked at Audi Q5 and Infiniti. What sold me on BMW was the free maintenance for four years. Figured that would save me at least 2K.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Not so much under the bimmer spell as I am wanting a luxury car. Looked at Audi Q5 and Infiniti. What sold me on BMW was the free maintenance for four years. Figured that would save me at least 2K.
Is it really free? Isn't it just built into the BMW's price? Lol

Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Is it really free? Isn't it just built into the BMW's price? Lol
This is what I am getting for 50K. I have looked online at many different brands and the prices I'm getting are comparable to this without free maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hey guys, I priced out a 2015 BMW X3. The dealer quoted me a price of $50K even for;

2.0 liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
See all standard features
BASE MSRP
$40,400
Mineral Silver Metallic$550
Black Nevada Leather$0
Fineline Anthracite Trim w/ chrome accent$0
Driver Assistance Package$950
Lighting Package$900
Premium Package$3,200
Technology Package$3,150
Heated front seats$500
Roof rails in Satin Aluminum$0
Harman Kardon surround sound system$875
Surround View$750
Destination & Handling:$950
BMW Ultimate Service®
A suite of premium benefits that are included at no cost with all new BMW Vehicles.
Up to 4 Years/50,000 Miles WarrantyIncluded
Up to 4 Years/50,000 Miles
Maintenance ProgramIncluded
Up to 4 Years/Unlimited Mileage
Roadside AssistanceIncluded

Just want to know if this is a good/bad/ fair price? Thanks for the help!
Also wanted to know if Cilijet exterior coating is worth the added cost?

Old 08-24-2014, 11:15 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
AAB,
Get the car you like...
My only comments on the Cilajet coating is that the dlr is making some dough on markup, I had never heard of the product until I GOOG'd it, and the guy that applies it may not be the area's best detail man.

There are literally thousands of pages of sites, forums and opins on what product(s) to use on a car's exterior.

If you simply want the conveinece of someone doing it and on you go, that is your decision, or have a detail job done by a local detail person after the fact, skipping the dlr's application.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI