Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times

Advertisements

After some thought I am thinking instead of the 3 series, I may be better off buying the SUV type instead. We travel back home to see family several times a year and with a kid, dog and luggage this vehicle might be better suited.

I have looked at both and honestly, I am not so sure what makes them different. I have read consumer reviews on both models and there are complaints and horror stories for both. I read a lot of BMW windows just dropping down and needing new motors and such.

So if you own one of these please share your thoughts with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
TBH...neither. SUV's are just not BMW's thing. The X3 is a disaster. It offers little if no more room than a 3-series, is far less reliable and lacks the dynamic feel that makes the 3-series a great car. The X5 is the better of the two by far, but again doesn't offer much more in the way of space than a 5-series. It's also a very thirsty SUV.

If looking for a German SUV, you shoul strongly consider the VW Touareg or the Audi Q5/Q7. The Toureag and Q7 share the platform and can be similarly equipped. Either one in diesel trim is the preferred setup as it's a great engine and gives you solid MPG. Of the two the Q7 is geared more towards onroad driving while the Touareg is a far more capable offroader than the Q7 while maintaining a nice ride. The Q5 is the entry level Audi SUV and offers a lot in a decent sized package. With the 2.oT engine it also gets good fuel economy for a SUV.

IMO, if you think you need a SUV and you want a German one, I would stick to VW/Audi. The Q5 slots in nicely in price versus the 3-series and offers a lot more room.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:42 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
I haven't actually driven the X5, however my friend has, and he loved it, so I'll rely on that and a lot of very good reviews.

I have driven the X3 however, and I hate to admit it, but I was severely disappointed by a BMW. To put this into perspective: I've loved BMW's since childhood,a dn every model I've driven up to this point has been a pure joy.

The X3's suspension is ...stump and hard, without being any sportier (actually less) than a Volvo XC90 which is far nicer to drive. The cabin feels cramped, I don't know the actual sizes but it does feel smaller than a 3-series, and the materials used in the cabin leaves something to be desired.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the X5 over the X3, which honestly, would be very far down on my list, having tried it. I urge you to try a few different ones of both models though and make up your own mind.

EDIT: Oh, and the X5 looks way waaay better. I'd get it with a diesel engine, if it's available Stateside.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
I have a friend that is on her 2nd X5 & loves them... I also prefer the X5. Not sure what the point is of the X3 other than being a smaller X5- overkill on BMW's part IMO.

With the mention of Audi- I do like the Q7 & hear good things about the diesel version.

But hey, what do I know- I drive an Escalade If you are hauling kids, dogs, etc.. like me, I think you will prefer the extra room the X5 has. We make several trips a year between IN & FL & let me tell you, the extra room on a 16 hour trip makes a world of difference!

We have owned several BMW's in the past but none in the SUV line though.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM

22 posts, read 122,734 times
I own a 2005 X3 3.0i and am very happy with it. Before that I owned a 2001 Z3. I will admit that the ride is harsh and you will feel almost every bump. If you are looking for a daily driver with a good ride, you will probably find a more comfortable ride elsewhere. However, if you enjoy driving with some spirt, you will not find a better handling SUV/SAV anywhere in this price range. I am a long time autocrosser and have spent time on the track, and can say that at limit, this vehicle behaves exactly like a real sports car. (although much slower)

The interior volume of the X3 and X5 are very close, so I don't see any advantage in getting the X5 since it weighs almost 1000 pounds more than the X3. If you are buying used, stay away from 2007, there were some transmission issues with that year.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
TBH...neither. SUV's are just not BMW's thing. The X3 is a disaster. It offers little if no more room than a 3-series, is far less reliable and lacks the dynamic feel that makes the 3-series a great car. The X5 is the better of the two by far, but again doesn't offer much more in the way of space than a 5-series. It's also a very thirsty SUV.

If looking for a German SUV, you shoul strongly consider the VW Touareg or the Audi Q5/Q7. The Toureag and Q7 share the platform and can be similarly equipped. Either one in diesel trim is the preferred setup as it's a great engine and gives you solid MPG. Of the two the Q7 is geared more towards onroad driving while the Touareg is a far more capable offroader than the Q7 while maintaining a nice ride. The Q5 is the entry level Audi SUV and offers a lot in a decent sized package. With the 2.oT engine it also gets good fuel economy for a SUV.

IMO, if you think you need a SUV and you want a German one, I would stick to VW/Audi. The Q5 slots in nicely in price versus the 3-series and offers a lot more room.
Agreed - except for the Toureg recommendation. It has consistently been near the bottom of Consumer Reports reliability reports. It is heavy and thirsty. Apparently the Audi version is better.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I had some extensive driving experience for thousands of miles with both of these. Wouldn't recommend either one at all. Very disappointed in both of them.

Why:

1. Overpriced for what you get.

2. Extremely harsh wagon train ride.

3. Slow. Both are slugs.

4. The materials BMW uses in both I find very cheap and flimsy.

5. The I Drive system is a nightmare to use, not intuitive at all.

I'd recommend either an Audi or the Infiniti FX.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Agreed - except for the Toureg recommendation. It has consistently been near the bottom of Consumer Reports reliability reports. It is heavy and thirsty. Apparently the Audi version is better.
The new one is apparently a couple of hundred pounds lighter and better. Haven't got my hands on one though.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Touareg recommendation was based on buying a new one and a diesel at that as they are signigicantly improved. The first gens were pretty bad and the second, better, but not by much. I have a severe soft spot for these especially the old V10 diesel version. I drove one once and fell in love with it. The Touareg is also an incredibly competent off road vehicle, much more so than anything else in it's class. Of course, that doesn't mean much when we are talking about a SUV that will most likely never see a gravel road, much less climb over boulders going down a steep hill.

To the OP - If you are considering a SUV for the extra space, have you also perhaps considered a wagon? Both Audi and BMW make great wagons and while not overly popular in the U.S. they do a lot of things very well.

Also, if looking at a SUV are you open to anything outside of the German brands? The GM Lambda platform (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave) are some of the best crossovers on the road and the Buick Enclave is a very luxurious SUV. Additionally, Subaru offers some interesting options and the new Outback is both roomy and fuel efficient, while maintaining some good driving dynamics.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Thanks for the input. We actually have a SUV right now. A Ford Explorer (which still has a nice ride but we have had issues with it). Its getting up there in age and getting close to the 90k mark. It will be paid off next month (we are a one car payment family) so now its time to retire the other car we have. We are now in the position to spend a bit more for a vehicle.

I was pretty set on a car until I test drove a 3 series and realized the backseat is cramped. I have a teenager that is growing by leaps and bounds so I am wondering is a long drive would become tiresome for the backseaters. I will not be purchasing new whatever it is. Also I test drove a 2005 3 series and something to me was wrong with the car. The sales guy told me I just wasn't used to driving a BMW. The back tires made a lot of road noise which sounded almost like wheel bearings but not for sure. Do BMW's have a lot of road noise? Okay..so all that being said I am going to look at the suggestions made. I am not dead set on BMW completely, just kind of always wanted one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI