Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:59 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
Not to discourage anyone, but I thought I'd give another perspective.

My husband, 4 children and I moved to Boise 2 years ago. I will be very honest and say that there are many things about the area that I really like very much.

Having been born and raised in a coastal community about 90 miles North of Los Angeles, eventually living in the L.A. area for work, Boise has been really great in several ways. One, crime is a lot lower. Two, most of the city is quite clean. Three, the river is awesome, and the Green Belt is one of my family's favorite places in the entire city. Also, we have had pretty good experiences with the schools. On the one hand, one of my children was lucky enough to get THE best teacher that any of my children have ever had, but on the other hand, two of my other children have had teachers that were almost the worst teachers any of my children have ever had.

Now, here's what seems negative, from an "outsiders" point of view. Now I know, most people in the entire country are not exactly in love with Californians in general. Every state kind of has their own "breed" of people, but that is true of Idaho, as well. Some people have been friendly and nice here, but our experience has been that most are quite snooty and rude. Whereas in a place like California, people often say hi as they walk in and out of stores, pass in a parking lot, etc., that has not been our experience here at all. Even when you say hi first, or smile, often you will just get a blank stare, or even a dirty look. So, that's kind of annoying.

Another thing that those coming in from other states, particularly more progressive states such as California will likely notice, is that it is TREMENDOUSLY conservative here. You get the feeling that most would just as soon hang a black person from a tree or drop a gay person into the river tied to cement blocks as they would look at you. People here actually still use the word "n*gg*r". Far from progressive, I'd say. Now, I'm not black, or gay, so it's not just that I'm being overly sensitive. And that's not to say that we don't actually have a black neighbor or two, but it doesn't appear as though they are likely treated all that warmly.

Most Californians would agree that many from California are sharp, quick witted, cynical. Hey, we're from a fast paced environment, and we've adapted. The true is not same here in Boise. Most people are educated, but not necessarily all that sharp. My personal experience has been that the majority of senses of humor are very dry (or nonexistent), the community in general is quite "clique-ish", and the way people drive here will probably have you pulling out tufts of hair in no time.

And then there's the whole "backwoods" population. Now, as I said, most people here come across as educated. However, there are quite a lot of people who remind you of backwoods, hillbillie types....kids totally unattended and running around like goats, the whole "missing-teeth-refusal-to-wear-deodorant" types. You know what I'm saying. These appear to be individuals who came from farming areas throughout Idaho and still think they are on the farm.

If you are at ALL of a liberal frame of mind, even mildly so, Boise will likely not be a good fit. In fact, you may find it to be your own personal "conservative hell".

Another thing I have really noticed, is that you don't run into many "gentlemen". In fact, I think I've come across, one. My entire life, even when walking into a mini-mart or whatever, if there was a door to be opened and a guy around, that guy would even jog up ahead of you to open the door for you. Not because they are creepy, but just because it's the norm. Not here. I've actually had a guy stand there waiting for ME to open the door for HIM! More than once!!

It seems to me, that women in general are not regarded very highly here. My impression (and I admit, I could be wrong, but this has been my perception...) is that there are not many "power women" here...you know, the types that run corporations or are very strong-minded. Several of the women I've spoken with did not seem to "have a mind of their own".

People seem very spoiled here. Not everybody I've come across, some have been really great. Most seem highly materialistic and superficial, though. Everybody complains about Californians being that way, but I've run into much more of it here than I ever did there.

The best analogy that I can produce, is that it is quite "Stepford-wives-ish" here. It's either the Stepford Wives types, or the Clampett's. A few genuine and down to earth people thrown into the mix, but not many.

Also, and don't let anybody tell you different, you will notice that you are treated differently if you are not LDS. Worse, your children will be treated differently. My son was actually told at school, when he ran up to a kid to ask if he wanted to be friends, "No, you are not the right kind of kid to be friends with". WHAT?!! My son is kind, gentle, respectful, clean, well-mannered, and loving. But he's not LDS, and it's clear that some of the parents at the school do not want to socialize with those who are not LDS, and apparently, that goes for their children, too. That was really hurtful, and I had no idea how to explain that to my son, except to teach him the difference between being close-minded and open-minded.

It's very yuppie, so if that's not your cup of tea, keep that in mind. It's a LOT like California in the 80's. Women are perfectly manicured and drive their suburbans, men wear pink polo shirts...that sort of thing.

It's also tough to find good food here. Definitely tough to find good Mexican food. In fact, we've only found one place so far that is pretty good, but still nothing like the fantastic Mexican food you can get in SoCal. There are a couple of good pizza places. I usually love Marie Callendar's but the food from the one here is horrendously salty, as is the case with just about every restaurant we've been to here.

Crime is low, but not super low. There's a huge drug scene here, my high school aged child has been so shocked by the huge drug scene in the schools (when we got here she was in Jr. High). We had problems with excessive drug issues with the teens next door. There's also measurable violent crime. For instance, a little girl across the way was the victim of an attempted rape and likely would-be homicide at the hands of her friend's father. There have already been several murders since we moved here. There are a lot of registered sex offenders.

Teens are just as rude, disrespectful, and problematic here as they are anywhere.

It may be "The city of the trees", but it's basically just a green spot in the middle of the desert. Don't get me wrong, I adore the river, and love all the trees in the area, but you just get outside city limits, and you are totally in the miserable desert again.

There issue of illegal immigrants is not nearly as prevalent as in California, Arizona, or many other parts of the country. However, it does exist, and seems to increase by the week.

Some other things to keep in mind...there are NO amusement parks less than like 9 hours away, and that one is just a dinky little one up North that charges way too much to get in and has really limited hours of operation (although it IS now home of the original "Corkscrew" rollercoaster that used to reside at Knott's Berry Farm). If you like Six Flags or Disneyland, you'll have to drive 2 days to get to one.

The county fair is a pretty good one, albeit small. We enjoy it, though.

The city, surprisingly, doesn't do anything really good for the 4th of July. The fireworks are a total disappointment, very small (and short) display in a crummy part of town. It gets so smoky so fast, that you can't see anything anyway, and then it's heck trying to drive away, due to all of the smoke.

For those with kids, the Chuck E. Cheese here is old and tiny. There's another "fun center" called Pojo's, but it's kind of grimey, some of the people who work there are REALLY rude, and the games are ancient.

The mall is really nice, lots of good stores. They just got a Cheesecake Factory. Also, there's a Thomas Kinkade gallery there.

We've had to use the hospital ER twice since moving here, and both times, our experience was very good. Medical services seem above average here.

Summer is likely hotter than you'd expect, over 100 several days, or even weeks. I think the coldest temp. we've experienced since moving here was somewhere around 3 degrees. Winter lasts a really long time. Fall is pretty. Clean, nice neighborhoods to take your kids trick-or-treating in.

Easter hasn't seemed like Easter for us...since the weather isn't warm and clear for outdoor egg hunts and that sort of thing. Our first Easter here, it snowed.

Well, that's the best I can do in terms of trying to give a prospective new resident the low-down. No reason to avoid the place, as long as you can deal with thier terms. It's so funny (but not)...my whole life, every time I or anyone I was in the presence of, learned that an individual was from somewhere other than California, we'd be like, "Oh, really? That's so cool, what's it like there? What brings you here?", etc. Californians in general, welcome outsiders from other states. Any other state I've lived in (AZ, MI, TX, ID), they are, in general, SO intolerable and hateful towards Californians, it's just ridiculous. Very offensive, too.

Personally, I can't see myself spending my whole life here. I don't want my daughters ending up with men who think women are lower on the food chain, in such a generally intolerant community. I'm also not thrilled about the notion of acclamating to a community that is generally highly accepting in the practice of murdering animals for sport.

But hey, that's just me.
You know it is interesting and I realize that you can't tell a place by spending a week there - but boy, did this comment burst our bubble - No place is perfect - as we would like to believe "perfect" is - however -
my only deepest concern is for the children - no more would I want my child to be "judged", "segregated" from others due to religion - I thought those days where gone - I do not segregate - any child is welcome to my home and encouraged to learn of others - I hope this remark is a biased - one person experience- I am a New Englander originally and with the puritans, catholics, etc - we would never NOT smile in a store for someone, hold a door, and judge because"they are not one of us" - I thought in 2007 we were all passed this and we were bringing our children into the world to love, respect, trust fellow Americans ( religion, ethnic backgrounds aside). To support all business, all people
I surely did not get that negative feel in Boise - so please someone me tell that this lady is exaggerating before we finish packing here and move.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
I think you will find the people quite friendly here. I have to say since we have been here our experience has been different with people. Now I wouldn't walk into Walmart and expect the carpet rolled out for me, but I think you will find most people on the friendly side. I found the above comment a little harsh, but I can't speak for another person I can only share what it's been like for us.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:05 PM

101 posts, read 451,995 times
I understand what you are saying, but it truly isn't an exaggeration.

It's not that I hate it here or anything. As I said, there are a lot of things about it that I do like. But I certainly wouldn't say that people here are generally friendly.

As far as the "Wal-Mart, red carpet" remark, I wasn't referring to the people who work there being unfriendly. In fact, several of the checkers at the Wal-Marts I have been to have actually been pretty nice, lol! Although one worker there did recently just about bite my head off for asking for a price in the garden center. I'm talking about the people shopping. At WinCo, Albertson's (which, by the way, to the newcomer, is about the only grocery store here! There is WinCo, which I like because I can buy raw nuts in bulk, and Fred Meyer which isn't very friendly, either, and Albertson's. A lot of Albertson's...), people are so pushy and inconsiderate, in general. I don't think I have EVER, in 2 years, going to 2 different WinCo's, run into anyone pleasant, and that's the truth! Albertson's and Fred Meyer are similar. And I haven't done anything to anyone to solicit that kind of treatment...I am quiet, considerate, and polite.

Maybe it is society in general that is becoming this way, I don't know. Maybe I am just too "Californian", lol! But where I come from, people say hi, people chat and joke around a bit (especially in grocery store lines), people have more of a "we're all in this boat together" sort of attitude. When we're in line at the store, nobody talks to each other. Wait, correction. One time, a lady did lean forward to compliment me on how well my children were behaving in the store, and we've had that happen in two restaurants here, as well.

I'm obviously very accustomed to highly diverse and deeply integrated communities, considering that's about all that CA has to offer, so being in areas that are not generally accepting of black people or gay people seems HARSH to me.

Having lived now in five different states during my lifetime, I've learned that people are just different in different places. It's okay if you like the standards which the people in that community value. But if you have quite a different outlook, it can be tough to acclamate. More importantly, one may find that they don't want to acclamate.

And I have met some nice people here, but really just a few. But I think this lady is looking in the Meridian area anyway, so the experience there may be different. Maybe it is more friendly, there.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM

Curious do you live in Eagle? I'm wondering if that's where the stepford wives comment comes from?

Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 PM

No actually, although I'm curious to check out Eagle, only because it seems to be "the place" everyone raves about. Is it nice there?

We're actually in SE Boise, near Timberline High School. It's a really nice neighborhood, very clean, pretty quiet a lot of the time, not far from the river. Still, I've only met a handful of people who have been genuinely friendly and nice.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 PM

That is a nice area and Timberline High has an excellent rating schoolwise. I think it was rated very high recently for one of the top schools in America, maybe in the top 100?

You know what, you are in a great location. Eagle is nice too but you will have to deal with all the traffic compared to where you're at so I think you have a great gig being in SE Boise. That area is pretty active real estate wise right now. I'll tell you something neat that's going on just east of there, I have to run to a meeting but I will come back tonight with the info.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Great. Thanks Torrie, I look forward to hearing what you're going to say!

I doubt Timberline is in the top 100....According to the report I read about the top high schools in the country, even Boise High only rated 400, and I don't get the impression that Timberline is better. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

It's not that I don't think the education is decent enough, it's just that the drug scene is really a concern to me. I believe there are drug issues everywhere, of course, but it's never been so "in our face" as it has been here, that's all.

Again, that could be more a sign of society in general moving in that direction, rather than Boise just being so bad. I don't know.

Well, I'll check back later to read your post!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,582 times
Boise is a beautiful place, I was there for 4 months working at Albertsons ( i lived over at mallard dr). We were in the heart of boise where all the action was but I can tell you if you aren't white and didn't grow up there its hard to mingle in. Being indian it was odd only seeing white people everywhere and getting stared at when ever we went to a bar. Note though I did see a few interacial couples there (black/white). But it seems like a small close nit town that will smile and be polite but I don't see outsiders mingling in to easily unless you are white and conservative or grew up there. i was glad I didn't live there as I started to get bored real fast by the second month there. Also I dont see many high paying tech/IT jobs there as I heard albertsons has fallen on really hard times and micron and hp are the only other large companies there. flip side is for the money you get a lot for your dollar... as our rent was 700 for a 2 bedroom apt and the 24 hour fitness was only 20 a month with no contract. It was hard finding any good pizza places like back home in NJ. Out of boredom I started just driving around randomly and really if you drive 10 mins in any direction you are out in the middle of nowhere ... it felt like I was driving on the moon. Clubs are mostly rock, 80's music, 1 small hip hop club.. forget about trance/dance music except for some kiddie club full of teenagers. good memories but I can't see myself living there..

mmm moxie coffee!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 PM

110 posts, read 572,902 times
I agree with almost everything Pippi333 said, I have been here for 7 years and coming from London, UK was a major cultural shock! I still can't call Boise home after all this time so we decided to move. I think her post is good in a sense that people can think about what is bad and good around here, not everything is perfect and some of the locals make it sound as if Boise is paradise on earth. There are positive and negative things about every city, just because Boise is the 8th best city to live in the nation and one of the best cities for bussinesses, doesn't mean you will like living here.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
Great. Thanks Torrie, I look forward to hearing what you're going to say!

I doubt Timberline is in the top 100....According to the report I read about the top high schools in the country, even Boise High only rated 400, and I don't get the impression that Timberline is better. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

It's not that I don't think the education is decent enough, it's just that the drug scene is really a concern to me. I believe there are drug issues everywhere, of course, but it's never been so "in our face" as it has been here, that's all.

Again, that could be more a sign of society in general moving in that direction, rather than Boise just being so bad. I don't know.

Well, I'll check back later to read your post!
Yes, Boise High was in there too, so you are probably right, it's probably not in the top 100.

Ok so about SE Boise....there's a proposed development called Bryan's Run, a planned community proposed for SE Boise. The project includes a total of 1,526 acres of planned community to include a 159 acre film studio complex which would include several film studios, warehouses, commissary, performing arts center and four themed residential villages. The developer is working with Boise State to include an apprentice program for film students where they can actually work at the film studios and learn the trade. This is a very exciting proposition as this will lead to several jobs and additional revenue to the city.The development hopes to create anywhere from 7,000 to 8,000 jobs and generate somewhere around 250 million in revenue. The developer is in the motion industry business and is responsible for such productions as Terminator 2, Total Recall and The X-Files. Pretty exciting huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: