Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM

37 posts, read 180,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngrossbard View Post
I had been watching the thread for some time..did the meet up ever happen? I just arrived in Boise..

Not that I know of I wish it did. We really need to start a group...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM

37 posts, read 180,663 times
Default Established a group....

After complaining so much I thought I do something so here is the group..

NewTOBoise on facebook...

NewTOBoise... | Facebook

Hopefully we can start a group guys...

Old 01-21-2012, 02:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,201 times
Found it interesting reading through the 7 pages on this article.... Interesting enough to sign up for c-d. I have lived here since I was about 4 years old and am currently 29. I too think this is probably one of if not the roughest areas to meet single people. IE my last serious relationship was 3 1/2 years ago. I don't quite fall under some of the categories you talk about as my political mindset is mostly I don't care/republican (can't even remember if that is liberal or not...) and I am religious.

The one thing I have found on meetup is that predominantly the singles groups are filled by upper 30+ age group. If you need info on that I have been to a few of them let me know and I will send you info and they will welcome you with open arms.

I don't drink so can not tell you of the night-life other than I have not meet anyone who is to happy with it yet.

However once that tough area is finished there is no greater place to raise a family. Crime rate is very low and people are generally very friendly. That being said it does not make it easier for those of us that are single.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM

541 posts, read 1,225,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Not to be insulting, but the saturation of religion in the area makes anything other than a friendly handshake an act of social deviance. Not to say that's strictly what dating is all about, but unless you're looking for that wholesome, prepackaged Americana relationship from all the 50s TV shows, you're pretty much stuck to the downtown scene - which is fine unless you're a grown up.
Speaking as someone happily maried, part of growing up in realizing that this is the sort of relationship that actually works and has meaning and depth. You looked at the divorce rate of people dating in the 1950s?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Speaking as someone happily maried, part of growing up in realizing that this is the sort of relationship that actually works and has meaning and depth. You looked at the divorce rate of people dating in the 1950s?
Wow.

Wonder how much higher the divorce rate would have been if it weren't as socially taboo, and there wasn't so much constraint placed upon women?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM

541 posts, read 1,225,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Wow.

Wonder how much higher the divorce rate would have been if it weren't as socially taboo, and there wasn't so much constraint placed upon women?
Oh, yeah. Constraint and Taboo. (As if the latter was necessarily a bad thing). If you think relationships are as healthy today with the preconceived notion of divorce now firmly implanted into the minds of all those who enter them, well...

I'll note the growing demand for child and adolescent psychiatrists and psychologists as testament to your "wow" factor.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,888 times
Butting in, I would ask: CMartel2, are you a man or woman?

I'm not sure how well versed you are on gender/sex issues in the early 20th century.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Oh, yeah. Constraint and Taboo. (As if the latter was necessarily a bad thing). If you think relationships are as healthy today with the preconceived notion of divorce now firmly implanted into the minds of all those who enter them, well...

I'll note the growing demand for child and adolescent psychiatrists and psychologists as testament to your "wow" factor.
Yeah, it was healthy for women to stay in relationships because they feared social rejection or physical violence...

There's nothing you can cite to that would support your theory to the rejection of mine. On the other hand, I can cite to entire libraries which support my idea that there were social barriers in place during the first half of the 20th century and earlier which prevented potential or wanted divorces.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM

105 posts, read 111,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenagenda81 View Post
I have been here for about three months and find that most women are either married, have kids or a divorced.

It seems very hard to meet people in the area in general..
It is hard to meet people anywhere if you don't know what you're doing.

I suggest reading some books on the subject and then get the courage to do what the books say.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:42 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,845,033 times
Let's keep it on topic. "Societal repression of women" is an interesting topic, but suited for a thread in another area of CDF guys...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area