Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 56,715 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket the other day. I was going 61 in a 55 zone. I was polite and I'm 18, fist time I ever got a ticket. Well I got a $85 fine and my family is in a crisis right now. No one is currently working in my family. We all have to take care of my gram 24/7. I am a student. What can I do to not pay it (like community service or what?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
go to court and ask the Judge for his help.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 AM

55 posts, read 183,252 times
Sometimes they'll let you pay it in a couple installments for larger fines so maybe they'll let you do the same for the ticket if you stay polite.

You can also double check that all the details on the ticket match those on your driver's license. If they don't, the ticket is void. (You just have to contest it).

Old 08-29-2010, 03:21 PM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times
Dress nicely, stay polite and respecful, and ask the Judge. The courts know there are a lot of people in crisis these days and if you ask, will likley allow you to make payments. You can ask for community service, but the judge may be bound by the law on what he can do.

You can ago online and search for the infraction code you should be able to see what the law says about the penalty.

I wouldn't get my hopes on mismatched info voiding the ticket. Not saying it can't happen, but I have serious doubts the cops would leave themselves open like that. From the experience our family has had, I'd start now to figure out how you can make payments. It's all about the money!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 PM

55 posts, read 183,252 times
Yeah didn't mean you should count on being able to void the ticket. just that its worth a shot.

Mostly though, you should be polite and courteous and ask about making small payments.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Just tell the judge you have no money & would like to do community service. You're looking at about 12 hrs of com service. The judge most likely will grant it but some courts require a fee to do it but its not alot. In ca my speeding fine was $120.00 & i was allowed to do 20 hrs of com service plus i paid a thieving $30.00 court fee.

I actually only did 12 hrs of com serv cause i had a cool boss. So i lucked out. The courts cant squeeze blood out of a turnip. Good-luck.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
My advice is to fight the ticket. Check and see if there is any way to get it dismissed, either by taking a traffic safety course, or any type of state program that can get the ticket dismissed. I'm not sure about the policies in ID, so contact the DMV and ask.

If there aren't any, or none that you qualify for, go to court and contest the ticket. There should be instructions on the back on how to start the process and get a court date. There's nothing to be gained from mitigation. Maybe you will luck out and the officer won't show and the ticket will be thrown out. Even if you can't get the ticket thrown out, the judge may reduce the penalty or allow you to pay in installments.

You need to do everything in your power to get the ticket off your record, because the final cost is going to be far more than $85. The price you pay for the ticket itself is peanuts compared to the rise in insurance rates that comes with it. When your insurance policy comes up for renewal, your insurance company will find out you have a ticket. You are already in one of the highest risk groups (new drivers), and now they will have proof you speed, which makes you an even bigger risk. They will raise your rates. A lot. Your insurance rate can double, or even triple. Depending on what kind of car you drive and what kind of insurance you have, you could pay thousands more in the years it takes for the ticket to drop off your record.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ingTicket.aspx

Last edited by Hesster; 08-30-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 PM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Kitty=^--^=2010 View Post
I got a speeding ticket the other day. I was going 61 in a 55 zone. I was polite and I'm 18, fist time I ever got a ticket. Well I got a $85 fine and my family is in a crisis right now. No one is currently working in my family. We all have to take care of my gram 24/7. I am a student. What can I do to not pay it (like community service or what?)

When you got pulled over, what did you say when asked if you knew why?

(HINT: The right answer is ALWAYS NO!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area