Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 PM

61 posts, read 42,406 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Caldwell, Idaho with my husband for "better opportunities" and it has been over a mouth since I am trying to get pretty much any job. Bills are really getting us right now, so I need to have job ASAP... I applied everywhere from jobs in craiglist to MCdonalds... nothing, getting bad luck everywhere... I have experience in hospitality and customer service, even have degree in hospitality, but as I see, they have like 100+ candidates for any open position even in Walmart. It's crazy, of course, I keep trying every day, but it's getting me... I have 2 problems - I don't drive, but I always put in apps that "I have reliable transportation", coz it's truth - I can get rides with my husband/his friend/bus, just can't get jobs which request driving... And another thing (I still hope it's not a problem), I am foreign (Eastern Europe), my English in good level, but I do have an accent...
All this topic it's for me / people who in same situation... I have heard many times that right now networking, connections help people get a job... So, if anybody know anything about any opening around, please, help... I personally give reword for your help - take you out for dinner or something, no kidding!
Thank you in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rialtoma View Post
I recently moved to Caldwell, Idaho with my husband for "better opportunities" and it has been over a mouth since I am trying to get pretty much any job. Bills are really getting us right now, so I need to have job ASAP... I applied everywhere from jobs in craiglist to MCdonalds... nothing, getting bad luck everywhere... I have experience in hospitality and customer service, even have degree in hospitality, but as I see, they have like 100+ candidates for any open position even in Walmart. It's crazy, of course, I keep trying every day, but it's getting me... I have 2 problems - I don't drive, but I always put in apps that "I have reliable transportation", coz it's truth - I can get rides with my husband/his friend/bus, just can't get jobs which request driving... And another thing (I still hope it's not a problem), I am foreign (Eastern Europe), my English in good level, but I do have an accent...
All this topic it's for me / people who in same situation... I have heard many times that right now networking, connections help people get a job... So, if anybody know anything about any opening around, please, help... I personally give reword for your help - take you out for dinner or something, no kidding!
Thank you in advance...
Retail is your best bet for employment, this time of year if you have a good retail background, and then you sweat it out that you will not get laid-off after the holidays, or your hours get cut super low. But it is some money coming in for a short time.
There just is too many unemployed job seekers, and not enough openings for everyone, so you might have to deal with some long term unemployment, until things pick up.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 22,017 times
As you've discovered, finding any job in this area is extremely difficult. I've lived here for two and a half years and have applied for around 200 positions. Even with a college degree, I've only been able to find two part-time jobs. The "buddy" system is very strong here. It's all about networking and who you know not what you know or how much experience you may have. That said, things seem to have picked up a little bit lately and as we enter the holiday season you may find better opportunities. Also, try to register with the professional online networking site, LinkedIn. There are groups you can join there and maybe find some leads. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
Check with the local banks and credit unions. I know of a couple people who have been hired on at both Wells Fargo and US Bank a week to 2 weeks after applying. Maybe they got really lucky, but it just goes to prove that there IS hope for you!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM

133 posts, read 289,691 times
Try boisehelpwanted.com. You should explore all options. Micron is hiring for solar and LED, but you need some qualifications. I heard today on KBOI that Idaho leads the nation in economic recovery. Where?!?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
You could try for a job with Aramark at BSU. They hire fairly often and an accent would be no problem. There is a shuttle that runs from Canyon County to the campus everyday. You can apply at the student union building. No guarentees but it is worth trying. Job security is a plus, until the summer months, because they can't shut down campus. Even during the summer you may be able to stay on if you talk to management, because a lot of people opt for summer off. You might be wiping tables but it is a job. It is worth a shot.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
We have about 22 employees and we only hire through a temp agency. That gives us a chance to try people out before bringing them on permanently. We have hired a number of employees that way.

All the suggestions above are good but you should also register with a temp agency. They are no longer just for menial labor.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 AM

45 posts, read 139,932 times
Definitely try Kelly services. I went through them to get jobs at Micron and EDS.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
We have about 22 employees and we only hire through a temp agency. That gives us a chance to try people out before bringing them on permanently. We have hired a number of employees that way.

All the suggestions above are good but you should also register with a temp agency. They are no longer just for menial labor.
Temp. agencies may be a good way to get your foot in the door, or generate some desperate quick cash. But they make you sign strange confusing contracts with them, and you don't always get paid, or your
pay is short.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Temp. agencies may be a good way to get your foot in the door, or generate some desperate quick cash. But they make you sign strange confusing contracts with them, and you don't always get paid, or your pay is short.
I don't have any recent experience with from the employee perspective with a temp agency. I just know that the realities of the regulations on an employer now make it very unappealing - and sometimes risky - to not use a temp agency. It does mean the employee earns less at first because the agency takes a cut.

We use SOS Staffing and have been pretty pleased with the service. I haven't heard any complaints from the employees about short pay or other things. We use some of the same people over and over right now until I am confident we can keep them on permanently so I think I would have heard if they were having problems with SOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area