Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

I have seen this question asked in the forums before but they are all dated from 2009 and before.

My family is relocating to the Boise area due to job loss (from Portland-Vancouver Area). My parents live there and I will be attending college to finish my RN while my husband tries to find a full time job.

Is there a lot of crime in Boise? What would you say about job availability my husband is a production/graphic artist usually works in sign shops. How are the elementary schools? What is the cost of rental housing and what areas would you say are best for families with small children? I have looked on craigslist and it seems the rentals are relatively inexpensive but I am concerned about being in a high crime area. I need to be able to walk my kids to the park and not worry.

If you had one bad thing to say about Boise what would it be? If you had one good thing to say about Boise what would it be?

We were going to go to California but I couldn't stand the thought of living in the Central Valley as the crime there is ridiculous and the schools are horrible.

Thanks for your help and time I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Crime in Boise is pretty non-existent, can't think of a single neighborhood in Boise proper that I would feel really uncomfortable if my family had to walk through at night. Our experience with elementary schools in Boise is that they are not great, but not bad either. Pretty much middle of the road.

I used to sell printing and in my current job buying printing is one of my tasks. There is not enough business for someone to sell graphic design in Boise and if you work for a local print shop or sign shop you are looking at earning $10-$12 an hour. Boise has too many sign shops and print shops for a town this size, I'm surprised as many of them have been able to hold out this long without shutting down. Not to be really negative, but overall it is just plain tough to find a decent job in Boise. So it is not just the graphic design industry. There is a group called Capital City Communicators that meets once a month (you can Google it) and it is a networking group for PR and marketing people. There are a handful of graphic designers who attend the meeting, so your husband may want to attend a meeting to see what the current market in Boise is really like.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 PM

863 posts, read 2,993,382 times
I know several experienced and award winning graphic designers who have been looking for permanent employment for over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area