Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 PM

128 posts, read 327,498 times

Advertisements

I've been looking online for homes in Meridian/Boise and can't believe how many there are on the market.

Many have been listed for some time too. Lots of foreclosures.

I was reading some threads here that were from a couple years ago and it seems many were saying the available homes was pretty low.

I wondering if many of those that have moved there from other states decided to get out.

Or is this how the market usually is?

There are thousands on the market from what I am seeing.

In Meridian a portion may be new homes looking for first time owners but doubt thats the case in Boise.

Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
If you are including ALL single family houses/townhouses/condos in ALL of Boise/Meridian, in ALL price ranges, yes, there are almost 2000. Most people do not have such wide parameters. For example, if you were looking for houses under $200k (a fairly common request here), that limits it right off the bat to 848 listings. If I eliminate condos/townhouses and only look at single family houses, that reduces it to 738. Most people have more things they are looking for than just "a house anywhere in the valley under $200k". When you start putting in parameters, the number drops quickly. For example, if I was going up to $200k, I'd probably want (at a minimum) 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, at least 1800 square feet. Putting those in, the number drops all the way to 110. (Because you asked, 26 of those 110 are less than 1 year old, or not finished yet, 10 in Boise, and 16 in Meridian) (Oh, and because you also mentioned it, only 9 of those 110 are pending foreclosure or bank owned, and the average Days on Market of the 110 is 68 days, not terrible)

Alternately, if you wanted a starter home, say under $130k, with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, at least 1000 square feet, there are only 40. If you want a 2 car garage with it, that drops to 23. And that is in all of Boise/Meridian. Most people have at least a general area of town they are looking for, like "West Boise and NE Meridian" (which would drop that number to 7).

So to say that we have tons of listings is a little misleading. Sure there are a lot, but for what an individual person might be looking for, there are very few. We have an investor group who would like to buy up to 10 rentals, and we can't find them what they want without getting into bidding wars, because all the listings on the market in their range are either overpriced, or in bad condition.

But yes, inventory is up overall from where it was. For quite a while, we had less than 1 month's worth of inventory. Meaning the number of houses on the market was LESS than was sold in the prior 30 day period. A normal, healthy market, has a 6 month supply. The current market, overall in all price ranges is just over a 3 month inventory. So the inventory is still lower than a healthy level market, but higher than it was 6 months ago.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Sure, you can change the perimeters to anything you want. I can get the list down to 5 homes if I want.

That's not the point. There is a TON of homes on the market.

738 single family homes under 200K is a TON especially in an area that many once claimed inventory was running dry in and for an area where everyone seems to be running to. So on the outward appearance it would seem everyone is running away now.

Looking at an RE for sale map and seeing all the homes for sale reminds me of the 2008 crash here in CA at it's worse point.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 PM

I wasn't artificially bringing down the count just for that purpose, though. I was giving an example of still fairly broad parameters that are a realistic scenario of what someone might actually be looking for.

The important number to look at for what you are getting at is how many months worth of inventory there is. 5 houses or 5000 houses doesn't mean anything in and of itself, unless you compare it to how many houses are selling each month. As I said, there is about a 3 month supply right now, which is still a sellers market. If we pass 6 months inventory, that will be a lot of inventory.

Right now we have MORE inventory than we have had for the last 18 months, but those 18 months were VERY low. We are getting closer now to a normal, healthy market. I think you are reading too much into it to say that people are running away. Our market was recovering fairly quickly, homes were selling quickly and prices were rising fairly quickly as well... so people who had held off listing their properties for the last few years because prices have been so low, are now starting to list them more as prices recovered. Combine that with rising interest rates over the last couple months, which slows sales, and inventory goes up. I don't see anything more to it than that.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 PM

69 posts, read 143,430 times
RMP500, why ask for someone's opinion and then when they offer it you shoot them down? If you post and ask for opinions then let people share them without your judgement. You can take the information and use it or just forget about it. But there is no need to shoot them down.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peru & Ky to Idaho View Post
RMP500, why ask for someone's opinion and then when they offer it you shoot them down? If you post and ask for opinions then let people share them without your judgement. You can take the information and use it or just forget about it. But there is no need to shoot them down.
I didn't shoot anyone down. I simply made statements based on their statements.

That's what you do on a discussion forum.

You seem overly defensive which is odd as you weren't even in the discussion.

If you are the personality type that doesn't do well with people stating how they see things then maybe a discussion forum isn't for you.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:09 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
To expand on Lacertas' point, my wife and have seen that very example set forth.

We recently visited the Boise area for the purpose of a potential relocation in 2014, during our visit we explored the area and did a large numbur of drive by viewings of properties at $150K to $200K in various locations. The selection in that price range offering the "amenities" we desire were hard to come by, also there were a fair number we felt were overpriced-an obvious attempt to capitalize on the current market conditions. With a little luck that will change for the better over the next 6 months.

A snapshot view on the I-net is simply that. Realtors have a great tendency to paint the rosiest picture imaginable when describing a property (who can blame them?), and I-net photos are poor (as well as the skills of some realtors who take the photos) for judging the true appearance of the property.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:05 PM

129 posts, read 371,606 times
RMP500....what is your bottom line question? Having hundreds of homes available in an area with around 700,000 people is completely healthy. We did have a shortage during the summer months but many people started listing their homes during this time frame and tons of bank owned properties got released also. The fall / winter months are always slower for real estate and will produce more available homes. Come April / May, these homes will long be gone.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeinspectorboise View Post
RMP500....what is your bottom line question? Having hundreds of homes available in an area with around 700,000 people is completely healthy. We did have a shortage during the summer months but many people started listing their homes during this time frame and tons of bank owned properties got released also. The fall / winter months are always slower for real estate and will produce more available homes. Come April / May, these homes will long be gone.
My questions are in my first post.

Your post answers them, from your perspective on it. Thanks.

The others that are searching for certain criteria are not understanding that I am talking about the RE market as a whole, not just what *they* happen to be looking for.

If they leave out 900 sq ft homes with 2 bedrooms or less they are leaving out a large chunk of Boise.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP500 View Post
The others that are searching for certain criteria are not understanding that I am talking about the RE market as a whole, not just what *they* happen to be looking for.

If they leave out 900 sq ft homes with 2 bedrooms or less they are leaving out a large chunk of Boise.
You're missing the point of my posts. I said basically the exact same thing as homeinspectorboise, but apparently he worded it in such a way as you could understand. 2000 total homes on the market is only a lot compared to the artificially low numbers we've had lately. For a metro area of our size, 2000 homes on the market is still a shortage. For the number of closings there were last month, 4000 homes on the market would be what the industry considers a stable market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: