Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 AM

15 posts, read 54,665 times

Advertisements

why nobody on the streets during the day in the downtown area. Has to be one of the least vibrant daytime downtowns we've seen. Where do all the people in the region go than?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM

674 posts, read 1,459,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_mueller View Post
why nobody on the streets during the day in the downtown area. Has to be one of the least vibrant daytime downtowns we've seen. Where do all the people in the region go than?
It's cold and/or wet this time of year.

Downtown activity picks up toward the end of April, and really comes alive around June and will last until October.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
I thought Boise downtown was pretty good for a city that size.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times
I was in Boise in September last year and downtown was active, even vibrant. Lots going on with a great deal of retail to choose from.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM

15 posts, read 54,665 times
last couple months even on sunny weekend days in downtown there is nothing going on. No street culture at all and really nothing except window shopping. Don't understand where the people at work go for lunch from those high rises in downtown.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_mueller View Post
last couple months even on sunny weekend days in downtown there is nothing going on. No street culture at all and really nothing except window shopping. Don't understand where the people at work go for lunch from those high rises in downtown.
Could have just been the days you were there. Downtown is often called one the most vibrant in the region. A few larger cities downtowns in the Mountain West don't compare. This time of the year, even on sunny days it is too cold to hang out on the streets, most people are in the shops and restaurants.

I was downtown Friday night and downtown was crazy, street musicians, drummers, pedestrians everywhere, but as said earlier wait until it warms up, the Saturday Market starts next month and downtown is packed on weekends with people hanging out. Downtown Boise is like the city's living room when it is warm.

Lunch is packed at most places, I was downtown today at lunch.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
I don't know why but I've been down there a couple times, even in summer and it was dead. But also been a few times when it was completely packed and really fun. Can't tell you why.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,776 times
Perhaps packed is a relative term, too.

Boise's downtown isn't as busy or packed as any of the larger cities in the west; Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, Vegas, Denver, SLC, and even Spokane and Eugene have much busier downtown areas.

Boise's downtown surely isn't so busy that you can't find on the street parking wherever you want whenever you want, even during the noon hour. It also doesn't have the consistent presence and foot traffic as the aforementioned cities, even when legislature is in session.

But it is still a vibrant downtown; it's just usually localized. Saturday mornings you'll find a great amount of people on 8th street and the Grove, or by Goldies and Addies. First Thursday nights people are walking amongst Main and Idaho. Wednesday nights the Grove is busy for Alive after Five. Special events always bring hundreds or thousands of people. Friday and Saturday nights the 6th and Main area is crawling with drunken college kids. And noon gets busier as it gets warmer.

But it will never be as busy or packed as the other cities mentioned, and there are a lot of reasons for that.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,337 times
Agreed.

I've never been to Spokane, but I'd question Eugene's downtown. It's mostly centered around UO and not as vibrant as Boise, imo.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times
Obviously downtown Boise isn't as large and packed as Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, Vegas, Denver. I am very familier with Salt Lake, Spokane and Eugene and can say that downtown SLC is larger, busy during the day but dead at night and they have a few malls downtown which take away from street presence. When friends visit Boise from SLC they are always impressed and envious of the vibe and activeness of downtown Boise, the pedestrian feel to it which SLC doesn't have. Downtown Eugene is dead all of the time, nothing going on, not as much street presence or retail as downtown Boise. The only thing going on in downtown Eugene is someone trying to sell you weed. Downtown Spokane is very quiet, great historic architecture, but they do have a mall on the river which is usually busy thus spilling activeness into adjacent blocks, but overall downtown Spokane is not nearly as active or busy as downtown Boise, in fact Spokane often looks to Boise to gain ideas on how to make their downtown better and more vibrant. If downtown Boise seems quiet on the street then look inside the shops and restaurants, they are usually busy. Overall downtown is a relaxed place, it does not have the fast paced craziness of downtown Seattle or San Fran.

Many times it is difficult to find parking downtown Boise especially the closer you get to 8th Street, so finding a parking spot wherever and whenever you want isn't an easy feat, but there is usually parking the further you get from the main core, or of course there are several parking garages. It is rare I can find a place to park on the street between 5th and 11th Streets, and if I do I am totally stoked I use garages a lot.

I live right by downtown, go downtown on a daily basis unless I am out of town, and spend a lot of time there and it can get really busy especially on weekends and even week nights when we are in the warm months. Of course packed in Boise is relative to the size of the downtown which is small, quaint, and tight, comparing how many people are in downtown Boise on a given day to a large city like Seattle isn't a fair comparison.

Sunday mornings are busy too, hard to find a spot to park on the street because of all of the restaurants offering brunch.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 03-08-2011 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area