Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Overall this it is a Extremely Conservative State...there is a very limited segment of the city and the population that would be consider Democrat...and if someone could prove more that 25-30% I'd be shocked...as I just didn't see it over the past 20 years. Other than the North End...you'd be hardpressed to find any liberal feel to anywhere else in the state.

This is red meat state...raw...and hardcore.
As a former resident of the state (and Boise), this was and still is very much my impression of the states political profile. And as with a lot of western states that are basically conservative, still there is a mild to strong element of "green" in the states mentality which is logical because of its attractive physical beauty and recreatioanal opportunites available in the environment. But tell me, besides the environment what other areas would Idaho residents lean to the left on ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
Jim- Great question...and to be honest, I never really saw any other liberal leanings other than environmental areas. I will give the city and the state one big kudo...and that's in the friendliness area. I've lived in a lot of states and traveled/lived in many countries--granted I was 20+ year military, so not all those places were under the best circumstances. But pound for pound--I am not sure you would find a nicer place to live. Crime is very low and the common good is very high. In five years I never once locked my car or my house. I never witnessed a crime. I did witness a bit of racism, but it was in the form of jokes and comments vice overt acts.

I still would consider retiring in this area...but the boredom and the lack of big city feel just got to me, this coupled with big pay opportunities in my career field. I chose to leave to double my paycheck...but I left a child behind at BSU and zip code of family and friends.

It's a nice place to call home...but I'm a city guy.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
As a former resident of the state (and Boise), this was and still is very much my impression of the states political profile. And as with a lot of western states that are basically conservative, still there is a mild to strong element of "green" in the states mentality which is logical because of its attractive physical beauty and recreatioanal opportunites available in the environment. But tell me, besides the environment what other areas would Idaho residents lean to the left on ?
Areas of Boise lean left on topics and issues much like the rest of the nations lefties, this is in addition to the environment. Other areas of Idaho that have more of a leftist attitude would be the Sun Valley and Ketchum areas, both locals and tourists, parts of Pocatello and Moscow, but I am sure you will find Dems even in farm land. I have lived in large cities and don't find myself bored in Boise, and I enjoy big city ameneties as well as small city comforts which Boise offers both of. I've been bored in big cities before, it all boils down to if you enjoy what the city offers. Boise is big on the outdoors and being fit and my "big city" artistic and music preferences can find more than enough to do in Boise when I have freetime on the evenings or weekends. The events this past weekend were a good example of the energy and community involvement this city has. I have to say though that I have noticed Boise has gotten more liberal compared to 5 years ago.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times
My year as a Boise resident was back in the 90s, though in recent years I've taken to returning and visiting the city on an annual basis since I missed it and realized how much I really loved the place.
I'm a native Missourian who'd lived for some time in Texas before moving to Boise to live and work back in the 90s and even then the rapid influx of outstaters, primarily Californians, had started. But my very distinct impression was that the political/social values of Idahoans were clearly more attuned to what I'd known in Texans vs the mentality of the Californias who'd moved to Boise.
But it's interesting, one of the guys I worked with was from the "big city", actually Chicago, and he's say what he didn't like about Boise was that you had to drive a long-time to "get anywhere", to which I'd always reply that was one of the things I liked most about Boise: everything I really wanted was there without having all of the hassles (crime, traffic, etc.) of the "big-city".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area