Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

I recently flew to Boise from California & couldn't help but over hear native folks from Boise talking about how much they hate the growth and changes that have happened in the last 14 yrs. And a few even seem to blame "Californians" in particular..When I drove out Chinden blvd., I couldn't get over the huge developments going in on relatively small size lots. It looked like many developments found all over California, down to the stucco exteriors. That truly is a missed opportunity. What I don't get is why people in Idaho blame people from out of state for this kind of development. The local developers and various city governments are the ones planning these projects and deciding on density. I'm not pro growth, but I am pro putting food on people's table. It reminds me of the ole Kevin Costner baseball movie "You build it and they will come". The local developers and city planners could have made that corridor have larger lots, equaling less density which equals less people. But like many places, in an effort to provide for themselves and many others and the ole $$$, farm land is divided up & sold off and developed as quickly as possible. On the flip side, without growth, I'm not sure how many people native to this area, could still be living here, since I'm not sure where the jobs would be coming from??? Seems like a moment of counting ones blessings may be in order on some level. There will be growing pains. Traffic, taxes for roads, schools, medical care etc. People have to live somewhere. But if you live in a town, that has voted to allow this kind of development, you can't suddenly do the blame game when people from out of state start buying there. And wow, I want to meet the person that has not started a new job or a new relationship or a new anything, and didn't go through some kind of transition of looking back and missing aspects of what it is they left behind. It doesn't mean they don't love their new environment, it just means they are transitioning. I think the very thing that makes Boise an outstanding place to live are the PEOPLE! The overwhelming kindness of the people there, will over ride any negative behaviors you might see while people are adjusting to a new environment! Even where I live in California now, when I encounter rude behavior I just don't engage. No matter where I have lived, I have managed to enjoy myself by embracing the culture and meeting negativity with kindness. Cutting people off in traffic on purpose like I have read on some of these threads just hurts you and puts you in real harms way. Believe me that rude driver in front of you from whatever state has no idea you are trying to send a message to them...rude people aren't wired that way. So even though I don't live there now, I hope to someday! And I think the people in the Boise area will continue to do what is they do best and that is be friendly, kind and great neighbors!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Yup.

Any clue why Californians are considered rude?

Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 PM

285 posts, read 540,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseorbust View Post
I recently flew to Boise from California & couldn't help but over hear native folks from Boise talking about how much they hate the growth and changes that have happened in the last 14 yrs. And a few even seem to blame "Californians" in particular..When I drove out Chinden blvd., I couldn't get over the huge developments going in on relatively small size lots. It looked like many developments found all over California, down to the stucco exteriors. That truly is a missed opportunity. What I don't get is why people in Idaho blame people from out of state for this kind of development. The local developers and various city governments are the ones planning these projects and deciding on density. I'm not pro growth, but I am pro putting food on people's table. It reminds me of the ole Kevin Costner baseball movie "You build it and they will come". The local developers and city planners could have made that corridor have larger lots, equaling less density which equals less people. But like many places, in an effort to provide for themselves and many others and the ole $$$, farm land is divided up & sold off and developed as quickly as possible. On the flip side, without growth, I'm not sure how many people native to this area, could still be living here, since I'm not sure where the jobs would be coming from??? Seems like a moment of counting ones blessings may be in order on some level. There will be growing pains. Traffic, taxes for roads, schools, medical care etc. People have to live somewhere. But if you live in a town, that has voted to allow this kind of development, you can't suddenly do the blame game when people from out of state start buying there. And wow, I want to meet the person that has not started a new job or a new relationship or a new anything, and didn't go through some kind of transition of looking back and missing aspects of what it is they left behind. It doesn't mean they don't love their new environment, it just means they are transitioning. I think the very thing that makes Boise an outstanding place to live are the PEOPLE! The overwhelming kindness of the people there, will over ride any negative behaviors you might see while people are adjusting to a new environment! Even where I live in California now, when I encounter rude behavior I just don't engage. No matter where I have lived, I have managed to enjoy myself by embracing the culture and meeting negativity with kindness. Cutting people off in traffic on purpose like I have read on some of these threads just hurts you and puts you in real harms way. Believe me that rude driver in front of you from whatever state has no idea you are trying to send a message to them...rude people aren't wired that way. So even though I don't live there now, I hope to someday! And I think the people in the Boise area will continue to do what is they do best and that is be friendly, kind and great neighbors!!
Ever think of trying paragraphs? This is the hardest post to read.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:28 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
I think Californians do all right here, except when they yield to the tendency to compare everything to California, as if California were the benchmark for coolness. There's a certain stigma to California in WA and OR as well, based partly on narrow stereotypes that do not take into account California's sheer size and diversity, and based partly on the number of Californians who have come north and then tried to Californize (some say Californicate) their new environments. With the perception (to which there is some truth) that Californians have creatively screwed up their own state and befouled a beautiful place, there is resistance to allowing the same to transpire here. I saw it myself in Seattle, with CA-tagged cars tossing trash out the window, parking in problematic places, slowing rural traffic with RVs and refusing to pull off, spacing out on the green light, and always, but always, racing to the end of the ending lane and then nosing in expecting to merge. Then flipping people off when thwarted.

All that means that some new arrivals have to prove themselves a little bit, but if they can get through a while without complaining that the gelato places and crab cakes here are nothing compared to California (happens to be true, but doesn't make any friends), they'll eventually be assessed on their personal merits rather than longstanding prejudices. There's a lot I liked better about eastern Washington, too, but no one here cares, nor should they, so I see no reason to annoy people with it. Won't change anything about either place. And when I move to Oregon in about four months, I'll be in the same boat, and handle it the same way, and anticipate the same generally favorable results I have gotten in Idaho.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Quote:
I have highlighted from your post why people in Idaho or any other state for that matter don't like Californians. The more Californians move to Idaho the more Idaho will resemble California. The traffic, the culture, the architecture, the liberal politics, the pollution, the rudeness, etc. etc. etc. It's funny. People leave California because they hate the state for what it is and move to another state to get away. At the same time there are thousands of Californians right behind those that left. When you least expect it that new state Californians have moved to has become CALIFORNIA.

Growth isn't always good. I think natives are scared that their little paradise will be taken away. I do understand where you're coming from as it relates to developers catering to growth. If people in Idaho don't want it they should stop it. Land owners shouldn't sell out to developers- much less to outside developers.

-Cheers.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:02 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Old news. Boise (and Idaho) has been a hot spot for relocating Californians for well over a decade.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Old news. Boise (and Idaho) has been a hot spot for relocating Californians for well over a decade.
Yep, very old news. People have been complaining for decades. New Yorkers moving to Florida. Texans moving to Colorado and New Mexico. Californians moving anywhere in the West. Any time people move somewhere from a populated/affluent/expensive area to escape the rat race or whatever, there is going to be friction with those who already live there. It even occurs within California, i.e., people moving from L.A. to the Central Coast.

If it's any consolation, certain Southern California towns are being invaded by super-rich Chinese people who are buying up properties with no intention of blending into the existing communities. Arcadia's Asian population went from four percent in 1980 to sixty percent in 2010. At least Boise's new residents know how to drive and speak the language.

Arcadia's in a McMansion Boom and It's Completely Insane - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes - Curbed LA

Old 11-05-2014, 02:52 PM

24 posts, read 34,648 times
I plan to move from California to the Boise area in about 5 years, after I retire. I am leaving California because of it's immigration policies, high taxes, high cost of living, high crime rate and liberal politics. When I leave California, I am leaving California and have no plans to bring any of that nonsense with me. I look forward to Boise being completely different, that is why I want to move there.

About the only thing I will miss from California is the weather. It is just about perfect. But, aside from that, I plan to move there, assimilate and forget about California.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:29 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times
Quote:
The overwhelming kindness of the people there

You won't find that in Los Angeles!!

Old 11-05-2014, 11:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathj View Post
I plan to move from California to the Boise area in about 5 years, after I retire. I am leaving California because of it's immigration policies, high taxes, high cost of living, high crime rate and liberal politics. When I leave California, I am leaving California and have no plans to bring any of that nonsense with me. I look forward to Boise being completely different, that is why I want to move there.

About the only thing I will miss from California is the weather. It is just about perfect. But, aside from that, I plan to move there, assimilate and forget about California.
How do you expect it to be different, when you're just perpetuating the same cycle as everywhere else?

It's different now. It won't be in 20 years. Just like Western Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Vegas, and on and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area