Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 PM

95 posts, read 155,089 times

Advertisements

How would you compare the weather between Upstate New York (like the Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse corridor) and Boise? In this part of NY the weather is cold and snowy, but also dark and wet for most of the winter.

We don't really mind the snow, as long as it is real snow, and not rain or slush. We don't mind the cold much, if it's sunny. But the gloomy, wet winters that seem to go on forever are a real downer. It would be great to be able to spend more time outdoors.

So for those that have lived in both places, how would you compare them, weather-wise?

Thanks!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPetrify View Post
My husband is from upstate NY and I am from Ohio we have lived here for 8mths, so far so good but a few helpful quick comments:
1. Food- enjoy your last meal in NY because pizza here or most food here does not even compare to the food on the East coast. So if you open your own Nirchi's Pizza here or something let us know I miss true New York/East coast food.
2. You will enjoy living in the North End or Hidden Springs, don't look anywhere. Do not go to Meridean you won't like it.
3. It's expensive to fly home, the airport is small and it's hard to get a flight to Upstate NY for less than $500 most are around $600 a ticket around peak days (holidays)
4. If we could find a job in upstate NY we would move there in Heart beat but since we can't this is a great place to live with lots to do and see. It's easy to take trips to the Pacific and elsewhere to explore. It will be an adjustment but if you give the West Coast time it starts to grow on you.
5. when comparing Wyoming and Boise pick Boise, Wyoming is pretty but you I think Boise has more to offer.
6. The schools here are really good in Hidden Springs and North End.
7. Very small town living, smaller then Rochester but bigger then Syracuse. If you like Hunting there is a lot to offer around here. If you like the night life it's different then NY and smaller but there are things to do. Very few good venues come through town too, but hey Fun and One Republic were just here and Macklemore is coming.
8. Buy an orange shirt they are huge BSU fans here so just jump on the wagon don't resist it's a fun wagon to be on.
9. My favorite thing, floating down the Boise River.
10. My least favorite thing, the distance from visiting the East Coast.

Good luck to you.

Hope that helps.
Just to clear up #7, Boise has a higher city population than Syracuse, but has less people in the metro area. Boise is a more spread out city land wise than Syracuse as well.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 18,169 times
I doubt I would open a restaurant in Boise.. From what I read there is a fair amount of really well respected places already there...
I really appreciate the thoughts on where to live, communities etc.. This is the kind of information we need to help us figure out where to live.. Although in the end I know we will have to visit for a good stretch to see for ourselves the best places for us as a family... I will tell you I have lived in NY state all my life and have been relatively happy for at least 1/2 of that time.. its only been the 2nd half that has soured me (and my wife) on continuing to live here... good pizza and wings won't keep us here :>}

Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
My lady is from CT originally. She likes it here but I can tell she misses it back home.

People always romanticize new places. Sometimes it works out and the changes are needed; most times its just trading pros and cons between places.

The weather during the winter is much better (as in, warmer, less extreme) but you don't get the snow to enjoy either. She really misses that aspect of back east. Many other things, too.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Thanks HP.. your right there are pros and cons for every place you live.. I can say I won't really miss the snow :>} we've taken a long time to consider the move and the pros def. outway the cons.. Just have to do more research on where to move, jobs, etc...

Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
She went to school in upstate NY and worked there for a while, and said she'd move back there in a heartbeat if she could find a decent paying job. This conflicts me, because I really like Boise and would never want to leave here for NY... but whatev.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 PM

35 posts, read 66,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
How would you compare the weather between Upstate New York (like the Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse corridor) and Boise? In this part of NY the weather is cold and snowy, but also dark and wet for most of the winter.

We don't really mind the snow, as long as it is real snow, and not rain or slush. We don't mind the cold much, if it's sunny. But the gloomy, wet winters that seem to go on forever are a real downer. It would be great to be able to spend more time outdoors.

So for those that have lived in both places, how would you compare them, weather-wise?

Thanks!

David
Winter here is a joke compared to upstate NY. Not even in the same ballpark. Sure we get some snow, but it's just not anything even close to comparable to upstate NY. Winter here is actually pleasant in comparison.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 PM

95 posts, read 155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percydaman View Post
Winter here is a joke compared to upstate NY. Not even in the same ballpark. Sure we get some snow, but it's just not anything even close to comparable to upstate NY. Winter here is actually pleasant in comparison.
That's good to hear. I guess I was under the impression that Idaho got colder, but was generally drier and sunnier. Although in some areas there is a rainy/cloudy belt? Is that farther north than Boise?

David

Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 AM

Well in our area , albany NY.. its very snowy here in comparison to Boise.. as well the humidity levels are alot higher.. I think downstate in NYC area the temps tend to be higher on average.... for someone with allergies like me its not the best climate :>}

Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 PM

35 posts, read 66,371 times
Let's not forget lake effect snow. Don't have to worry about that here in Idaho really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area