Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 5,000 times

Advertisements

Hello all !

My family and I have moved from Texas to Boise. Wife is currently there now and I am moving next week.
I telecommute from home for work. We have a 2 yo son and 1 on the way. Very very excited to be in the area!

We are in the process of looking at homes in Boise/East Meridian in the 200k range.
Problem is that many of the newer and upgraded homes I like are in the Ustick Elementary school zone or in the west valley, which I have come to understand is among the worst elementary schools in the area? Can anyone shed any light to this? Does anyone have any resources to share on school ratings and reviews? Great schools website rated Ustick as 1 of 10 (poor) but there were many positive reviews posted so I was confused on how they arrived at their rating.

We both want to live within 10 min of downtown to take advantage of the events it has to offer, but many of the homes very close to downtown that we could afford either seem to need a lot of updating or are in areas that seem to have elevated crime. My wife would prefer to stay north of the Connector and east of Eagle Rd.

Thanks and nice to meet everyone -

Kevin D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Check this out thanks to the Albertsons Foundation. This site has stats for every school in the state.

Idaho Ed Trends

Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
https://apps.sde.idaho.gov/Accountability/ReportCard

About

Here are a couple of other links to check out where you can research individual schools.

Ustick is a lower rated school, but it isn't all bad. Part of why it's lower rated is it's one of the schools in the district where a lot of immigrant kids get sent. That means it's going to have lower test scores and ratings on paper due to language barriers and whatnot, but it could also be a good cultural experience for your kids. A good example of how school ratings and statistics can be helpful, but they don't provide a complete picture.

You might also check the neighborhoods on either side of Eagle just south of the freeway. That part of Meridian will have your fastest access downtown due to good freeway access. You could also check out the Bench as it's close to downtown but has relatively lower prices. The only thing with the Bench is I'd make sure to check out the houses in person because the neighborhoods can be a little hit or miss.

Congratulations on the move - you have made a massive upgrade in location compared to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area