Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 10:49 AM

8 posts, read 11,297 times

Advertisements

Hello All and Good Morning:

I work in the public safety sector, and have a potential Job Lead in Nampa, Idaho, subsequently, I am flying out at the end of this month. I have several questions from those who have relocated, or native folks from Nampa and Boise area.

We are relocating from Florida, and have lived in Florida for 13 years, we are originally from Gary, Indiana. I have 3 High school kids, and we love the Northwest section of the US, we have been looking at several opportunities in Oregon, but none have played out, then this surprising opportunity in Nampa arose. We visited South, Idaho once in our travels, met some friendly people, and experienced some awesome natural beauty. But never thought of living there, because there are simply not that many opportunities. Then this one came up!

So my questions are as follows:

How is the Nampa area? I have seen a lot of talk about crime, poor quality of life, unwelcoming atmosphere, ultra conservative...... So I would love to hear what peoples thoughts are.

How are the schools?

What about colleges and universities in Idaho?

What about the Mormon influences, we are a Christian family, who respect all of God's children, we do not want religion crammed down our throats.

Finally, I hear horror stories on other boards about taxes in Idaho, love to hear peoples thoughts?

Thank you so much, we are hoping Idaho will give us a new home, there is a war on the working class in Florida, if you work hard for a living, you cannot live in Florida any longer. The great recession has definitely created a two class society here, the haves and have not's.

Thank you again for your thoughtful and respectful replies........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmartin74 View Post
What about the Mormon influences, we are a Christian family, who respect all of God's children, we do not want religion crammed down our throats.
Mormons are also Christians who respect all of God's children. They are unlikely to try to cram their religion down your throats.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:29 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
Finally, I hear horror stories on other boards about taxes in Idaho, love to hear peoples thoughts?
Anything more specific? The data says that Idaho's state tax burden is average among US states, ranking 26th nationwide (where 1st is lowest) in 2011.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:44 PM

332 posts, read 483,059 times
I think your best bet is to see the area for yourself, give yourself a few days to explore, and reach some of your own conclusions. Bringing other peoples' bias with you based on THEIR experiences and perspectives is a disservice to your objectivity.

For example, I've read many times here that Mormons are everywhere and will make your life miserable if you don't convert. That has not been my experience in the least.

A lot of your questions are broad topics that have been discussed here in the past. You might want to search the forums to get more specific details, or ask more specific questions.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I can't say anything about the Nampa high schools, but you have 3 colleges very close by. There is a Nazarene College in Nampa, the College of Idaho is in nearby Caldwell (about 5 miles away), and Boise State is in Boise, about 17 miles away by the Interstate.

The College of idaho is one of the finest private colleges in the west. It has produced more Rhodes scholars than any other college in the state. Boise State is the state's leading sports school, and is the fastest growing college in the state.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:20 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Nampa is a little rougher around the edges than most of what you would find in Ada county but if you're from Gary you probably would laugh at that description. It is more conservative than Ada County for sure. I don't have personal experience with the schools but they tend to have a harder time with finances (Idaho school districts rely heavily on local funding). Another option if you weren't too keen on Nampa would be to live in the western section of Meridian, perhaps off 10 Mile, and then commute to Nampa for work - it would be a pretty short drive and you'd be going opposite of most of the traffic.

I doubt the Mormon thing would bug you much. I would be surprised if the population in the Treasure Valley is even 20% LDS.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I would rather live in western Boise and commute to Nampa. Living in Nampa negates all of the amenities of living in the Boise area. Access to culture, restaurants, the foothills, the Boise river are best if you live in Boise. Plus a reverse commute to Nampa would not be that bad from Boise.

Lived in probably the most Mormon of neighborhoods when I lived in Boise and honestly wasn't a big deal. All the neighbors came over and said hello the first day we moved in, found out we were not LDS and pretty much left us alone for the next five years. They would wave as we drove by and maybe chit chat for a minute if we bumped into them at the mailbox, but never tried to convert us.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:26 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
So many people really have a misconceived attitude towards Mormons and it is so evident by comments at this forum. In the Boise area the LDS are not the ones you need to be wary of, it is the small crowd of loud holy rollers, bible thumping pentecostals, non denom types who have church in strip malls and preach fire and brimstone and throw judgements around. The Mormons are mellow and generally accepting of people and they don't make up a majority of Boise, not even close.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 02-16-2015 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
I would simply look at our legislative makeup, the type of bills they introduce, and their rationale for/against legislation. That will tell you all you need to know.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmartin74 View Post

Thank you so much, we are hoping Idaho will give us a new home, there is a war on the working class in Florida, if you work hard for a living, you cannot live in Florida any longer. The great recession has definitely created a two class society here, the haves and have not's.
Sadly, this is an American problem. Not a Flordia, Idaho, or California problem.

Anyways...I agree with everyone else. If you can, live in West Ada County and commute to Nampa. Nampa isn't horrible, but it isn't anything to write home about. At least in Meridian or West Boise you'll still be relatively close to what Boise has to offer (outdoor activities, restaurants, culture, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area