Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 PM

174 posts, read 231,946 times

Advertisements

Interesting stat: A 6x12 cargo Uhaul trailer from San Diego County to Boise costs $990 to rent this summer. From Boise to San Diego County...... $223.00.

If things keep going the way they are, Uhaul may pay YOU to transport trailers back to California...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathj View Post
There are a few people on this board that obviously are not happy with anyone from outside of Idaho moving there. Vandals seems like one of the more outspoken ones, but over the years of visiting these boards I have seen outright hostile people.

It is their right to feel that way and to comment on how they feel the place they call home can potentially suffer some negative issues from mass immigration. I think California has suffered horribly because of the immigration from Mexico and other south american countries. But guess what? Too bad for me. It has happened and so now I choose to leave California.....and guess what Vandals? Idaho is on a very short list of where I plan to go in the next few years. If it gets too bad there for you, you can do the same thing I will be doing in California.....leave.

I also disagree whoever said that retired people do not help prop up the economy. They absolutely contribute to the economy, in fact even more so than young families in some cases. Most of them will not be taking jobs away from working age people, their incomes will be spent on mortgages, groceries, utilities and all sorts of other things that directly benefit the community they live in.

They will spend their dollars in the local towns, at the mall, at restaurants, buying gas, boutiques, clothes, electronics and any other consumer based business that exists. All that money will be spent locally. And lets not mention the sad fact of life that as they get older they will be visiting hospitals and doctors more often. The very same hospitals and doctors in Idaho.....once again supporting the economy.

I will no longer pay California taxes, but instead Idaho taxes.

Yes growth comes with issues, but it also comes with benefits.

But for me, if there are going to be some Idahoians that do not like me because i am from California......oh well...too bad for them.

Very good comments.

You're 100% right about retired people. For the most part they're self sufficient financially, eat out a few times a week(so they're supporting the local economy), make great neighbors, take care of their property.

Look at FL, most of their economy is centered on retired people.

They actually create jobs, as in the medical field and other services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
That's because he probably never even lived in California.
That's what I was thinking.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM

335 posts, read 376,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGittes65 View Post
Interesting stat: A 6x12 cargo Uhaul trailer from San Diego County to Boise costs $990 to rent this summer. From Boise to San Diego County...... $223.00.

If things keep going the way they are, Uhaul may pay YOU to transport trailers back to California...
You could buy the 6x12 trailer in Boise new for 1700 and own it. I checked where I live and its 700 which to me is totally ridiculous for uhaul. Thing to do is probably wait until the moving season is over and then it will be cheaper.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Very good comments.

You're 100% right about retired people. For the most part they're self sufficient financially, eat out a few times a week(so they're supporting the local economy), make great neighbors, take care of their property.

Look at FL, most of their economy is centered on retired people.

They actually create jobs, as in the medical field and other services.

That's what I was thinking.
Of course retiree's contribute significantly to the local economy. To say otherwise is just plain ignorance or just simply lying. Take the average retiree relocating. First they buy a house, injecting money into the system, then the services and everything else which comes with a house. They have medical needs, living expenses,transportation and they pay taxes. Also the retiree is taking money away from the state which they are moving from, so it is a win for the local economy. Most of the retiree's relocating to Idaho are conservatives anyway. Not from the liberal ideology which has destroyed california. California is in big trouble, The people that live there do not realize it are in for a rude awakening. Problem is most people live in a fantasy world. Problem with this is reality will eventually prevail as it always does. Reality is truth and truth always wins in the end. Idaho has a mere 1.6 million people in it. It is 44th state in population density.
The few thousand that move here each year can be easily absorbed by the local economy. The refugee's which are placed here will eventually leave and go to california where they will get more assistance and free stuff.
What you don't want is welfare recipients moving in, sucking off the system and giving nothing back. No need to worry the welfare people will go to California where they get free housing,free electric, free food and free medical. California even adds to their welfare check giving them an extra 600 a month for nothing. The democrats have destroyed california and are attempting to destroy the country.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:10 PM

285 posts, read 540,972 times
Default You forgot

In state college tuition,free school meals, special busing, after school care, then the food stamps, drivers licenses, housing assistance, ad infinitum...

Old 06-17-2015, 10:52 PM

49 posts, read 126,263 times
The issue underlying resentment of newcomers (specifically Californians) is the impact they have on housing costs for locals.

The perception is that most Californians relocating here are equity-rich retirees, who don't rely on Idaho's meager jobs market to survive, and are able to pay cash for a house.

Contrast that with a young family with a couple kids struggling to put together a down payment.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:04 AM

91 posts, read 165,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc1972 View Post
The issue underlying resentment of newcomers (specifically Californians) is the impact they have on housing costs for locals.

The perception is that most Californians relocating here are equity-rich retirees, who don't rely on Idaho's meager jobs market to survive, and are able to pay cash for a house.

Contrast that with a young family with a couple kids struggling to put together a down payment.
A lot of us make/made our small fortunes online. I know a ton of people in their 30's, 40's and 50's who make a good living with online marketing or something thereabouts. I would assume there are many people in that age range in Idaho who do the same thing. From freelance web designers to coders to online marketers.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc1972 View Post

Your not looking at the other side. Take the person who already owns the house. Their equity goes up. I remember when I was young and bought my first home, I had to scrimp and save every penny I had to get the 25k down payment. They will have to do the same.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM

174 posts, read 231,946 times
Real estate prices being driven up is a valid concern, particularly if there is not commensurate improvement in job opportunities and wages. It hurts young families trying to get a start the most. However, on balance, I'd say that financially self-sufficient retirees moving into an area to live out their years is a pretty good thing. They bring savings, pension, social security benefits, volunteerism, and lots of daily spending with them, without demanding a job in return....not bad. They also don't commit much crime.

This is particularly good if you compare it to the massive unchecked illegal immigration of the poor and unskilled that California has experienced, and even encouraged. Schools flooded with children needing substantial services, medicaid roles swelling, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc etc. The only arguable benefit of this is federal welfare dollars coming in. But I'd personally take a pass on that, considering the problems the dollars are meant to address.

It seems places like Boise are scoring big time with this dynamic. Heck, if I was an industrious Boisean (sp?), I start up an elder care business and get in on the ground floor.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 AM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
Your not looking at the other side. Take the person who already owns the house. Their equity goes up. I remember when I was young and bought my first home, I had to scrimp and save every penny I had to get the 25k down payment. They will have to do the same.
But then so does their taxes and other costs.

We've been through a few surges, both here in Boise and in some of the new-found resort areas (Valley County), and there is evidence elsewhere in the nation about rising home prices - generally, it does not favor the local population, especially when wages don't rise to reflect the increase in housing costs.

There is a reason that home prices, especially as you got toward the middle and upper ends, were nearly cut in half in between 2007 and 2010, and particularly homes that were in the $350,000-$600,000 range. I'm not joking when I say cut in half. Those homes were overpriced and overvalued for the market, and we're seeing nearly the EXACT same pricing trends now that we saw immediately pre-recession.

While I can't say for sure, I suspect the difference is now there is less speculation and subprime lending, and now we just have more equity rich people moving into Boise. Make no bones about it, this simply prices out the working class who earn their money here.

As an example, my brother bought his house in 2009 (SE Boise) and sold it a few months ago. He put some work into it and because of rising prices he turned a nice profit (somewhere around $75,000). He has a growing family so he has to upsize, but his purchasing power is far less now than it was in 2009-2011, even though now he has far more money to put down on the house than he did in 2009. His search is pushing him to the Bench or West Boise, whereas in 2009 he was looking in SE Boise and the fringe areas of the North End.

To your last point, for the first time homebuyer trying to "scrimp and save" for the down payment, given the area's wages relative to increasing home prices... you're simply either pushing them out of the market or else you're pushing them further away from the city. In other words, you're gentrifying Boise. The North End is becoming a enclave of imports and wealthy retirees, for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area