Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 03:20 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Boise to enjoy the Jaialdi and the city itself.

You have such a beautiful place here. It's pretty, it's clean, and it's like a little oasis within the beautiful golden hills. It seems like a sane place, and people look healthy and... well... normal. I can see that it's a growing city but I get the feeling that tax-payers money doesn't burn holes in the government pockets.

What did surprise us is the near-absence of homeless people. Living by Portland, where it is a humongous problem, I suppose I noticed this more than others would. But it does make me curious. Do you simply have a much lower homeless population here? (I did notice a couple of rescue missions with no lines or groups of people hanging outside.) Does the city "do" something different to keep the problem under control?

Just curious.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:33 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,916 times
In Boise homeless people tend be called "transients". They tend to move around. Boise is kind of far from other urban areas so it is difficult to get to. Winter is fairly cold. I think it is a combo of a lot of things. Since the population is small; churches and shelters can help locals who may be in a temporary situation. So I don't believe there is a large permanent homeless population for some of those reasons. Someone else more familiar with the situation may have a better explanation.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:47 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,569 times
We have a lower homeless population than cities larger than us, sure. But we do have a very sizable population, to be sure.

They used to congregate under the Connector by Rhodes skatepark, almost to the hundreds. Over the past year they built a nice little colony with mountains of scrap and rubbish serving as their defacto "ghetto." The city has since fenced that place off and as such the homeless have dispersed elsewhere.

Most of the homeless "live" along the river during the summer. If you go explore along the cottonwoods, or when you float down the river you can find their dwellings, their tee-pees, and other makeshift accommodations. Usually a lot of trash and garbage left behind too. They dwell from Barber Park on down to Eagle, wherever they can find.

Other homeless haunts include Ann Morrison Park, the corners of 13th/Myrtle, 8th/Idaho, the freeway exists along Broadway and Vista, the West of downtown Boise area in general, Veteran's Park, the Albertson's at 36th St., and a handful of other highly visible areas.

There are a lot of organizations that try to get a count, but it's pretty hard.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:29 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,497,317 times
Summer and winter I see the homeless at both the downtown library and the Hillcrest branch. Same ones every day. Only 1 or 2 at Hillcrest, half a dozen or more downtown.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 PM

285 posts, read 541,211 times
Default Travelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I am currently in Boise to enjoy the Jaialdi and the city itself.

You have such a beautiful place here. It's pretty, it's clean, and it's like a little oasis within the beautiful golden hills. It seems like a sane place, and people look healthy and... well... normal. I can see that it's a growing city but I get the feeling that tax-payers money doesn't burn holes in the government pockets.

What did surprise us is the near-absence of homeless people. Living by Portland, where it is a humongous problem, I suppose I noticed this more than others would. But it does make me curious. Do you simply have a much lower homeless population here? (I did notice a couple of rescue missions with no lines or groups of people hanging outside.) Does the city "do" something different to keep the problem under control?

Just curious.

Thank you.
I think most of the problem in Portland and other OR cities is that they encourage the panhandlers to stay with their attitudes and programs, all in the name of humanity. But when you encourage something, you will get more of it.

Don't give them money as it only encourages them.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
That was something I suspected - less tolerance for pan-handlers. And I agree about cities that try too hard to accommodate them. It only feeds more and more.

Today while driving around I did notice the "sanctuary for the homeless" shelter off a freeway (can't remember where - too much running around today), and there were a lot of tents set up around it behind the fence.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all so much.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:56 PM

447 posts, read 652,207 times
its a problem and a growing one. Not as bad as california or the west coast in general. We lack much of the services that help them and it isn't tolerated to the extent it is elsewhere. Also it is somewhat affordable even on poor wages and their is low unemployment. I've known many people who have been homeless or near it but thanks to family, friends and the community it never lasts long you can always pull out of it.

I am an example of this being somewhat unskilled I have never made more than 12$ an hour and am often unemployed for various reasons recently I was evicted from a room I was renting and had a half dozen offers from co workers one of whom helped me till I was on my feet 2 weeks later.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
its a problem and a growing one. Not as bad as california or the west coast in general. We lack much of the services that help them and it isn't tolerated to the extent it is elsewhere. Also it is somewhat affordable even on poor wages and their is low unemployment. I've known many people who have been homeless or near it but thanks to family, friends and the community it never lasts long you can always pull out of it.

I am an example of this being somewhat unskilled I have never made more than 12$ an hour and am often unemployed for various reasons recently I was evicted from a room I was renting and had a half dozen offers from co workers one of whom helped me till I was on my feet 2 weeks later.
That is wonderful that people will do that.
Out here people are scared to lend a helping hand. Never know who you are dealing with!!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,916 times
I have a had a lot of support in California - I have no family here. Guess it is all who you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area