Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 12:01 PM

43 posts, read 90,153 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a recommendation for a dependable alarm service company in the Boise area? We are looking for a service company with reliable equipment and dependable service.

Ralph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 05:09 PM

122 posts, read 229,961 times
I've only just installed SimpliSafe, so I can't speak to reliability and dependability (which I think would take time), but if you want an option without contracts, check it out:
Home Security Systems | Wireless Home Security | Burglar Alarms

Front point is another oft-recommended company:
Wireless Home Security Systems | Frontpoint Security

Obviously, there is ADT and others, just wanted to throw out another option or two.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:38 AM

43 posts, read 90,153 times
Thanks Brian,

I will check out the companies you listed.

Ralph

Old 08-31-2015, 01:46 PM

731 posts, read 958,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph78 View Post
Thanks Brian,

I will check out the companies you listed.

Ralph
I've used Dropcam in the past, I believe they are part of Nest now...may try them again soon.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 12,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianX View Post
I've only just installed SimpliSafe, so I can't speak to reliability and dependability (which I think would take time), but if you want an option without contracts, check it out:
Home Security Systems | Wireless Home Security | Burglar Alarms

Front point is another oft-recommended company:
Wireless Home Security Systems | Frontpoint Security

Obviously, there is ADT and others, just wanted to throw out another option or two.
How is SimpliSafe? I am thinking about getting it!! Do you like it, and is it as easy as they say to install and operate it?
I would Love to hear your thoughts on this!!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:42 AM

122 posts, read 229,961 times
delynnie, SimpliSafe was very easy to install. One tip I would have after the fact is that if you are thinking of getting extra sensors, get it all on your initial purchase. They pre-progam everything together when you buy it, but then if you add extras later you have to add them manually. No big deal, but just FYI.

I like how easy it is to use and install, however we are still running without monitoring services. Just a matter of what we have going on right now where we don't feel its worth it, but later this year I probably will set that up too. Install was basically done in minutes, if that gives you any idea.

The things I added later were water sensors for the dishwasher & upstairs washing machine and under the fridge as well. Also, the extra super loud siren.

Wish I could speak to it more, but for us anything was better than dealing with ADT. The must have hired a cable company pricing team - initial low cost, then it jumps up every other year until its just not worth it (to us).

Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 12,375 times
Thanks BrianX As soon as my home closes, I am going to order all the sensors I need and the whole package!! At this time I will do the $24.99 monitoring services. When we move to Boise full time, I will probably do what your doing!! Thanks again for getting back to me!!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
I use Alarmgrid that utilizes Honeywell Lynx wireless equipment.
https://www.alarmgrid.com/
Installed it a bit over a year ago.

Easy to sync each sensor to the main control unit, easy to sync a secondary touch pad to the main control unit. Easy to install the sensors. I also installed a garage door sensor on the overhead door, and the smoke and cold sensor. (Cold sensor is set not to trigger a call to the police, but a text and a call to me.)

As for monitoring, there is NO contract, but I have had it monitored since day one. I have had no break ins, or fires. However, if the power goes out for a few minutes, they call to let you know. (Both times it happened I was home and aware of the power outage.)

I looked at the Simplisafe system, but felt like their main controller felt to cheap...might just have been me.
I understand they have the little tower that does the actual signalling separate from the touchpad, nice feature in case the criminal breaks the touchpad thinking it will kill the system.

Honeywell does it a bit different.
If you have the alarm set, the minute a sensor is tripped a signal is sent to the monitoring site. Some systems do not send out a signal to the control center until after the time period for entering a clear code. If a clear code is not entered in time, or loss to the main controller is detected, an alarm will be technically triggered and sent to the police. This way if they destroy the box, the signal has already been sent. You can also have it set up to call the owner first and ask for a safe code. If no answer or no safe code is given, then the police are sent. If the phone is answered and the owner gives a under duress verbal code the police are dispatched with the knowledge that the owner maybe under duress.

Whatever system you get, highly suggest, if possible, get a wireless connection. Criminals like to cut all the coax wires and phone lines coming into a house; killing the system from sending out an alert. If the power is cut the monitoring station will know and call. With wireless and a battery backup, this can't happen since it communicates via (in my case AT&T) wireless signal and the unit has a battery backup good for about eight hours.

I do not set it when I'm home since I have two 100+ lbs dogs to wake me up and I sleep with a .40 next to the bed for greeting midnight vistors. However, the fire system works regardless if the alarm is set. So if there is a fire at night the detector will notify me with one heck of a loud alarm, but also call into the fire department. Same for the Carbon Dioxide alarm.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,702 times
Waste of money around here, imo. Just leave the porch lights on, lock the doors/windows and call it good. My dog will let me know if anything is up.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:04 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
My feelings are, except for the fire detection part, which is good if you are gone and the dogs are at home and a fire starts, an alarm system is just for when you are not home.
As I stated, I have two dogs that will warn me, and will warn the intruder not to enter, if they still come in, I will do the ceremonial .40 welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area