Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 02:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times

Advertisements

I'm laughing to myself thinking about how people are never happy with the weather, no matter where they live. Here in Austin, I had to turn my A/C back on for Christmas Eve and it's been on ever since. We've broken record temperatures four out of the last five days, and it was over 80-degrees on Christmas Day. I was FURIOUS that it was so warm for Christmas, especially since we were at 20-degrees a week ago. I would have given anything to have snow outside, but that is something we hardly ever see around here. Winter is mild and pleasant, but then summer hits and it is like living on the surface of the sun from June to mid-October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 02:31 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I'm laughing to myself thinking about how people are never happy with the weather, no matter where they live. Here in Austin, I had to turn my A/C back on for Christmas Eve and it's been on ever since. We've broken record temperatures four out of the last five days, and it was over 80-degrees on Christmas Day. I was FURIOUS that it was so warm for Christmas, especially since we were at 20-degrees a week ago. I would have given anything to have snow outside, but that is something we hardly ever see around here. Winter is mild and pleasant, but then summer hits and it is like living on the surface of the sun from June to mid-October.
Let me get this straight, you want a White Christmas , but you live in Austin?

Old 12-28-2016, 02:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Let me get this straight, you want a White Christmas , but you live in Austin?
It would be nice. I've lived in Texas my entire life so we have no concept of a white Christmas. We can't even relate to most Christmas songs. Still, we used to at least have reasonably cold weather in the winter, and often it would be in the 30s-40s on Christmas Day. No snow, but cold enough to feel like Christmas. This year I was in a t-shirt and shorts and it just seemed wrong in every way.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:00 PM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
It would be nice. I've lived in Texas my entire life so we have no concept of a white Christmas. We can't even relate to most Christmas songs. Still, we used to at least have reasonably cold weather in the winter, and often it would be in the 30s-40s on Christmas Day. No snow, but cold enough to feel like Christmas. This year I was in a t-shirt and shorts and it just seemed wrong in every way.
I remember in the winter or 2005(I think) we were staying in Mission TX for the winter. We left the rec center Christmas Eve and it was snowing. Woke up Christmas morning to a "white" Christmas. I believe they said this was the first time in 100 years that it snowed and the first time in recorded history that it snowed on Christmas. What was kind of funny was one of the workers at the park asked the manager what he should tell his children this "stuff" was. Needless to say it was not safe to drive on the streets let alone the highways. It didn't last for long but it was a White Christmas all the way down to Brownsville. From what I remember it was quite the mess in South Texas.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:07 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
They plowed the main streets in Boise, too, which is great for motorists. But unfortunately, they piled the snow on the sidewalks! I was trying to walk thru more than a foot of piled up snow which is exhausting! I finally walked on the edge of the road when the traffic was light and jumped back up on the sidewalk if there were a bunch of cars.

As I was trudging, I was thinking there's got to be a better solution, but I don't know what it is. Do large cities that get deep snowfall every year pick up the snow and dump it in an empty lot or something? What do they do with all of it?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 PM

213 posts, read 343,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Glad you guys are enjoying it.. Forecast says more blizzards for next week and we even have the luxury of enjoying some negative temperatures ..
Blizzard?! I wish. Blizzard is defined by 10" or more of snow in a 24 hour period, from my understanding.

Honestly, I'm loving this snow and weather. We are almost at our 3 year mark of living in Idaho and have been (bitterly?) disappointed by the snow the last two years. This is the first year that we have actually felt like there was a satisfactory level of snow. I never had snow in my life before, I've definitely found my happy spot now.

The only dis-likable part has been driving. This is where your tires really matter, and also the kind of vehicle you have. A truck sounds nice, until you realize it has poorer traction on the back end without additional weight. Small cars struggle in fresh snow, both in clearance and lack of weight. Minivans seem to do fine weight-wise, but on the lower clearance side. SUVs are fine. I'm finding the majority of folks here don't have chains or studded tires, but all-weather tires make a world of difference.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:19 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
Blizzard?! I wish. Blizzard is defined by 10" or more of snow in a 24 hour period, from my understanding.

Honestly, I'm loving this snow and weather. We are almost at our 3 year mark of living in Idaho and have been (bitterly?) disappointed by the snow the last two years. This is the first year that we have actually felt like there was a satisfactory level of snow. I never had snow in my life before, I've definitely found my happy spot now.

The only dis-likable part has been driving. This is where your tires really matter, and also the kind of vehicle you have. A truck sounds nice, until you realize it has poorer traction on the back end without additional weight. Small cars struggle in fresh snow, both in clearance and lack of weight. Minivans seem to do fine weight-wise, but on the lower clearance side. SUVs are fine. I'm finding the majority of folks here don't have chains or studded tires, but all-weather tires make a world of difference.
Glad you are loving it.. One person's heaven can be another person's hell and vice versa. Well, I say blizzard by Northwest standards. If any city in the Northwest (esp Western OR/WA) received 10" or more of snow in 24 hours, the city would be shutdown for weeks, just like I experienced from the blizzard we had in Portland about 7 or 8 years ago.

I have more good news for you, it looks like we will be having temperatures down to almost -10F this or next week.. Whoopie

Old 12-29-2016, 07:50 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Actually the word "blizzard" is no where to be found in the upcoming forecast. Some snow? yes, but hardly a blizzard. Boise has not experienced a blizzard yet this season.

http://mediaassets.kivitv.com/weathe...b_extended.jpg

Here is the definition of blizzard from Wikipedia:

Quote:
A blizzard is a severe snowstorm characterized by strong sustained winds of at least 35 mph (56 km/h) and lasting for a prolonged period of time—typically three hours or more. A ground blizzard is a weather condition where snow is not falling but loose snow on the ground is lifted and blown by strong winds.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:13 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowersinthegarden View Post
Trucks do great if they have 4wd, which nearly all of them do in Idaho. Mine performs better than my wife's AWD crossover SUV on bad roads, largely because it's much heavier and has a lot longer wheelbase. I think 4wd or Awd is a really big help getting around the northwest in the winter, and you're correct that good tires make a big difference.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:19 AM

424 posts, read 580,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
Trucks do great if they have 4wd, which nearly all of them do in Idaho. Mine performs better than my wife's AWD crossover SUV on bad roads, largely because it's much heavier and has a lot longer wheelbase. I think 4wd or Awd is a really big help getting around the northwest in the winter, and you're correct that good tires make a big difference.
The major problem with some that drive 4x4 or AWD vehicles really do not know how to drive in inclement weather and think that 4 wheel drive makes up for their lack of skill. Remember whether your 4WD or 2WD, when you step on the brakes you are all the same.

Note my brother was an ISP officer for many years until he retired and all of the patrol cars he drove year round just had all-season tires on them...there is a big difference when you know how to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area