Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times

Advertisements

No surprise, Forbes seems to love Boise.
Before all of the dissenters and debaters and people who like to spread negativity pipe in, remember Boise is more than Micron and HP. According to what we have read in the news recently it is the smaller high tech companies in Boise that are growing and adding jobs.

Let the fun begin

Top 10 Up-And-Coming Tech Cities - Forbes.com

In Pictures: Top 10 Up-And-Coming Tech Cities - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
No surprise, Forbes seems to love Boise.
Before all of the dissenters and debaters and people who like to spread negativity pipe in, remember Boise is more than Micron and HP. According to what we have read in the news recently it is the smaller high tech companies in Boise that are growing and adding jobs.
Lol.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,540 times
Iowa City is right behind Boise at #8!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,057 times
Lightbulb I read about this Feb 29th in Ken Dey's Idaho Statesman article....

TechIdaho: Don't worry, Boise still has Forbes' favor | Business | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/story/309795.html - broken link)

Ken is the High-Technology Reporter for the Idaho Statesman and I felt that his last paragraph summed it up the BEST !!! Below is a brief snippet:

"One final thought on the Forbes article.

I'll probably write a story about this when the article comes out, but I'm still not sold on the benefit of all this national publicity. The Boise Valley Economic Partnership is driving a lot of this. It has been forking over big bucks to its New York public relations firm to pitch Idaho to the national media. The group says we've already had 44 print and broadcast stories this year. I'll feel a lot better about this flood of fluff if it finally leads to some meaningful jobs. "

Very WELL said Ken !!! I couldn't agree with you more !

Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
That's funny, because the same Ken Dey said this in January 08:

"The Boise area has more than 350 software and information-technology companies, according to the Idaho Department of Commerce. At the same time, Benedict and other employers have openings for more than 300 workers with computer-science experience."

Could Boise be the next big tech center? | Eyepiece | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/273/story/259356.html - broken link)

So what's he saying, the 300 jobs all ready here, available, and waiting aren't meaningful?

I've re-posted the article above even though it's all ready been posted in the Tech thread, because you're required to whenever you pull a quote out of an article per forum rules.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
TechIdaho: Don't worry, Boise still has Forbes' favor | Business | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/business/story/309795.html - broken link)

Ken is the High-Technology Reporter for the Idaho Statesman and I felt that his last paragraph summed it up the BEST !!! Below is a brief snippet:

"One final thought on the Forbes article.

I'll probably write a story about this when the article comes out, but I'm still not sold on the benefit of all this national publicity. The Boise Valley Economic Partnership is driving a lot of this. It has been forking over big bucks to its New York public relations firm to pitch Idaho to the national media. The group says we've already had 44 print and broadcast stories this year. I'll feel a lot better about this flood of fluff if it finally leads to some meaningful jobs. "

Very WELL said Ken !!! I couldn't agree with you more !
I don't understand why at present they are marketing towards national media. You do that for tourism - not company relocation. Shouldn't they first market to the companies directly? One would think that would offer better results. I'm not arguing that Boise isn't a tech spot. I just don't understand that marketing idea.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I don't understand why at present they are marketing towards national media. You do that for tourism - not company relocation. Shouldn't they first market to the companies directly? One would think that would offer better results. I'm not arguing that Boise isn't a tech spot. I just don't understand that marketing idea.
They've been marketing Boise on the airlines for years - for both tourists and business people.

Boise Guardian: Publisher Could Take $700,000 From Valley (http://www.boiseguardian.com/2007/05/21/publisher_could_take_700000_from_valley.html - broken link)

Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
I've been aware of that. I worked for Alaska and Boise is often featured in Horizon's magazine. Is the chamber of commerce and economic partnership the same or pool from the same fund? If the chamber wants to ad for tourism - fine. But I don't think the economic peeps should be doing similar ads.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 AM

I do mind if the Chamber does it, though they are allegedly a private special interest. I mind even more if it happens the Chamber is somehow using taxpayer money to fund these promotions.

A link taken from that article I linked above: Boise Guardian: Taxes Fund Chamber Business Programs (http://www.boiseguardian.com/2007/03/21/taxes_fund_chamber_business_programs.html - broken link)

Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
As a taxpayer in Boise I have no issue with the Chamber or Government advertising Boise. There is a lot of competition out there among the states trying to lure companies and I don't think Boise or our state government does enough. We have neighboring states that are similar to Idaho in their government makeup and they are attracting many new jobs and companies because of their marketing and tax breaks. For those of us who are going to or currently raising families I think it important that Idaho keep attracting new diverse jobs. The new medical research campus being built in Meridian is a step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: