Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Another more general thread to chew on. Assuming my wife and I were to get jobs with similar pay, how would Ashland, OR and Boise, ID compare as far as lifestyle, schools (6 y.o. son), ambiance, outdoor activities,etc.? We love hiking in the hills and woods, running with our dogs, fishing, boating,etc. Anyone been to both places and can compare, or wager? Let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
I lived in Ashland for about 6 months in the early 90's, and currently live in Boise and will give you some of my personal comparisons later when I have more time. I've got to run to meet some friends for dinner. If you like Ashland you will love Boise although the size difference is major.

One thing you will probably not experience in Boise are some issues I have read at the Northwest news network, that are currently taking place in Ashland such as an elementary school principal taking down the Christmas Tree from the school because it is considered a religious symbol For the most part people in Boise, even the liberal ones are not as brainwashed and crazy as the libs in Western Oregon. I also lived in Eugene for a few years and consider myself a mix of liberal and conservative ideals, but the extreme, and I mean extremely liberal people in areas of Oregon seem a bit "lost" to me. People of both liberal and conservative ideals in the Boise area seem a lot more level headed.

Catch you later.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 34,023 times
I have to agree with TohobitPeak, a lot of similarities. Boise offers more for families, I read somewhere the median age is 35 - so not nearly as many retirees as in So. Oregon. People are really friendly, real estate is much more reasonable, schools seem to be a bigger priority(i.e. recent budget cuts in Oregon targeted schools). Recreation options are better in my opinion, and Boise is very dog friendly. Aside from BSU, there is a great hockey franchise, ballet, and much better concerts. On the same note there is a Shakespeare Festival here too. And if you ever get homesick- you can visit Hyde Park!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorts_ale View Post
I have to agree with TohobitPeak, a lot of similarities. Boise offers more for families, I read somewhere the median age is 35 - so not nearly as many retirees as in So. Oregon. People are really friendly, real estate is much more reasonable, schools seem to be a bigger priority(i.e. recent budget cuts in Oregon targeted schools). Recreation options are better in my opinion, and Boise is very dog friendly. Aside from BSU, there is a great hockey franchise, ballet, and much better concerts. On the same note there is a Shakespeare Festival here too. And if you ever get homesick- you can visit Hyde Park!
Well, we love Ashland, but it is just so expensive. And I will be explorng a promotion opportunity. Seems like Boise will be an option, and our money will go farther. We are politically centrist, frugal, and unpretentious.

The funny thing about Ashland, is that it is peopled almost exclusively with equity migrants from California. The people are nice enough, but it seems like there is relatively little integration with the Northwest. A classic bubble, like Jackson Hole or Bend. Nearly everyone is an exurban immigrant with money. In Boise, I know many Californians, Easterners have moved in as well, but I would expect that there they added to the diversity, rather than diminished it. True?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, we love Ashland, but it is just so expensive. And I will be explorng a promotion opportunity. Seems like Boise will be an option, and our money will go farther. We are politically centrist, frugal, and unpretentious.

The funny thing about Ashland, is that it is peopled almost exclusively with equity migrants from California. The people are nice enough, but it seems like there is relatively little integration with the Northwest. A classic bubble, like Jackson Hole or Bend. Nearly everyone is an exurban immigrant with money. In Boise, I know many Californians, Easterners have moved in as well, but I would expect that there they added to the diversity, rather than diminished it. True?
Depends on who you ask.

Older, long time residents almost always say "diminished!" Younger and new residents will say "added to!" Who's to say who is right?

The Boise area definitely has a California exurb feel to it, especially as you get to the Meridian and Eagle areas. Not so much in Nampa/Caldwell or Boise proper.

But with few exceptions, Boise does have that sprawled, strip-mall, SUV dynamic that is associated with Californian flight. Of course, it's easy to ignore this by enjoying our downtown, the Northend, our parks, and anywhere out of the city.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Depends on who you ask.

But with few exceptions, Boise does have that sprawled, strip-mall, SUV dynamic that is associated with Californian flight. Of course, it's easy to ignore this by enjoying our downtown, the Northend, our parks, and anywhere out of the city.

Ugh...sounds kinda barfy to me. I really hate that mile and miles of track homes feeling. Do the Northend and East End have a nicer, more historic feel? Any public transport at all?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,587 times
Public transit in Boise is virtually useless. Boise itself has some nice bungalows, cottages, historic homes, etc. Mostly in the North End, Boise Bench, and parts of SE and NE Boise. West Boise is just an early version of Meridian.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Quote:
Hi all:

Another more general thread to chew on. Assuming my wife and I were to get jobs with similar pay, how would Ashland, OR and Boise, ID compare as far as lifestyle, schools (6 y.o. son), ambiance, outdoor activities,etc.? We love hiking in the hills and woods, running with our dogs, fishing, boating,etc. Anyone been to both places and can compare, or wager? Let 'er rip!
Ashland has much of the unique charm, friendliness, mellow flavor, and hip, smalltown feel Boise USED to posess before it became inundated with Cali refugees over the past dozen or so years. After putting up with Boise's unbridled, absurd sprawl and ever-worsening air quality and traffic for years, I finally had enough and now reside in a small Central Texas Hill Country town where people still tip their hat and 50 degrees is a cold day in winter.
But yeah, Ashland is great: nice hippie feel to it. And everyone loves the Shakespeare festival; and it's a college town--conveniently located too, with easy access to the beach or the mountains, right on the NorCal border. You should go for it! Moving to Boise is just like moving to "AnyTown, CA."
Best of luck to you!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:26 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Boise has a lot of charm, the city center is beautiful, vibrant, hip with a great mix of the northwest meets rocky mountain west vibe. It is also a creative city with a lot of artists and galleries and great coffee shops. There are some great performing art companies and there is always something going on in the city in various venues. Even though Boise has grown quickly the past decade it still has a small town feel to it and people are gracious and friendly and look out for each other. What I like about Boise is that people will look you in the eyes and say "hi" as you are walking. Boise is a city full of beautiful parks, healthy active people and the outdoors are very much a part of city life.
If you like the Shakespeare Festival, Boise has one of the finest and longest running seasons in the Western US. We are one of the most family friendly cities too. I think Boise is one of the most unique cities because of the location and "what there is to do" in the great outdoors, you can drive out of the city and be all by yourself and enjoy nature or you can enjoy nature right in the city too, Boise is very au natural, clean, well manicured streets and boulevards and alot of wildlife right in city limits. With growth comes opportunity and Boise is evolving, growing up. I know alot of people who have moved here from Portland and Seattle and they all say Boise reminds them of those cities before they became too crowded and over run. If you decide to move to Boise then look for a place in the city. The burbs are where a lot of the fast growth has taken place filling in farmlands with homes, shopping centers, schools, parks, basicaly the same scenario that takes place in any city anywhere in the good old USA. This is what happens with growth
I would not worry too much about the Californians who have moved here like some down trodden people do. The Cali's who have moved here are the type who like what Boise and Idaho has to offer..a relaxed lifestyle, family friendly, great outdoors, and a vibrant city.
We have some great chefs from Portland and Seattle who have opened sushi restaurants here, so if you like sushi you will not be disappointed.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,416 times
Quote:
Ugh...sounds kinda barfy to me. I really hate that mile and miles of track homes feeling. Do the Northend and East End have a nicer, more historic feel? Any public transport at all?
Lack of public transportation may be what kills the Bosie deal for us. With two kids who'll never drive when they're older, it's got to be a priority. //www.city-data.com/forum/boise...portation.html

So, when you say "older homes" do you mean turn of the century, 1930's, 1950's...? About 10 years ago, we lived in a home built in 1930. I laughed at someone who was complaining about how old their home was--it was built in 1978! That seemed fairly new to me. It's all relative.
I loved that house with its wide mouldings and glass art deco doorknobs. Now we live in a mid-century modern rambler that I didn't really like when we moved in(bought it because of location and handicap accessibility...), but I'm quite drawn to the style now. We have vaulted ceilings, tons of windows, and a big, brick freestanding fireplace. Be interesting to see what comes next. It's all just an adventure in architecture and finding a place to grow and be happy! :~) D

Last edited by Deena160; 12-11-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area