Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 02:35 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Very interesting. Doesn't sound good at 10:1 ratio.
Actually, it is a VERY GOOD thing. If there are 10 times more ACTUAL cases than have been detected via testing, then the mortality rates are 10 time LOWER than we thought. The more people that have been infected, then the harder and harder time the disease will have of continuing to spread. So the more low-symptom and no-symptom infections that we have had, the closer to some level of broad immunity we get.

ON the topic of immunity: The idea that sprang from misinterpretation of a poorly worded WHO statement in April, that there may be no immunity for this, is finally going away. That statement never meant to say that, and the WHO reworded their statement after all the bru-haha. It is being found that anti-bodies will last 2 months after an infection for many or most people, perhaps longer.

And realize that the body develops other immune responses to diseases like this, so residual anti-bodies is only one part of the immunity picture. Some study work has recently been done, and is ongoing to a further extent, that the body may develop other immunity reactions (certain T-cells) from other similar viruses, that get triggered when this particular virus shows up. There are IIRC 4 other corona viruses that trigger common cold symptoms.

So there is a lot being learned of why some folks have little to no symptomatic reaction to this, and about immunity to this. The info is changing significantly each week, so don't hang on to what you read 2 months ago.. most of it is outdated. And even 1 month ago is old news for this thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 06:37 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Actually, it is a VERY GOOD thing. If there are 10 times more ACTUAL cases than have been detected via testing, then the mortality rates are 10 time LOWER than we thought. The more people that have been infected, then the harder and harder time the disease will have of continuing to spread. So the more low-symptom and no-symptom infections that we have had, the closer to some level of broad immunity we get.

ON the topic of immunity: The idea that sprang from misinterpretation of a poorly worded WHO statement in April, that there may be no immunity for this, is finally going away. That statement never meant to say that, and the WHO reworded their statement after all the bru-haha. It is being found that anti-bodies will last 2 months after an infection for many or most people, perhaps longer.

And realize that the body develops other immune responses to diseases like this, so residual anti-bodies is only one part of the immunity picture. Some study work has recently been done, and is ongoing to a further extent, that the body may develop other immunity reactions (certain T-cells) from other similar viruses, that get triggered when this particular virus shows up. There are IIRC 4 other corona viruses that trigger common cold symptoms.

So there is a lot being learned of why some folks have little to no symptomatic reaction to this, and about immunity to this. The info is changing significantly each week, so don't hang on to what you read 2 months ago.. most of it is outdated. And even 1 month ago is old news for this thing!
I will continue to wear the mask

Old 07-07-2020, 04:47 AM

Roger that. I am not telling anyone not to wear a mask or fail to take precautions. I still do and wash my hands a lot. I learned to avoid a lot infections when I traveled extensively for work for many years; I averaged over 200 flights per year! I got sick a lot in the first 2 winters but then started the habit of NEVER touching my hands to my face or head in the airport or airplane, and would get of off each flight go to the restrooms and wash may hands. My incidence of illness dropped 85-90% or more....no foolin'. So don't just wear a mask; that is really to protect others from your infections. Make sure you stop touching your face and head, and clean surfaces like grocery carts with disinfectants when you go to the store. Don't touch handrails and such if you can avoid it; push a door open with your shoulder. Use gloves when in public settings and then take them off without touching the outer surfaces before you touch you car's door handle or the steering wheel.

Despite all that, there is a message in the present data and the CDC estimates of the true infection level, that things are not as bleak as they seemed.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:53 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Roger that. I am not telling anyone not to wear a mask or fail to take precautions. I still do and wash my hands a lot. I learned to avoid a lot infections when I traveled extensively for work for many years; I averaged over 200 flights per year! I got sick a lot in the first 2 winters but then started the habit of NEVER touching my hands to my face or head in the airport or airplane, and would get of off each flight go to the restrooms and wash may hands. My incidence of illness dropped 85-90% or more....no foolin'. So don't just wear a mask; that is really to protect others from your infections. Make sure you stop touching your face and head, and clean surfaces like grocery carts with disinfectants when you go to the store. Don't touch handrails and such if you can avoid it; push a door open with your shoulder. Use gloves when in public settings and then take them off without touching the outer surfaces before you touch you car's door handle or the steering wheel.

Despite all that, there is a message in the present data and the CDC estimates of the true infection level, that things are not as bleak as they seemed.
Yes never really realized but all of the above is true. Keeps those hands clean and protect them.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:34 AM

It is the touching of your hands to your face that is the biggest problem. Virusus can work into your system through your eyes and nose and mouth.... and maybe your ears? Your hands could be covered with germs but they won't get through the skin unless it is dry-cracked or you have a wound; it's when you touch your face that the virus gets its opportunity.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:52 PM

127 posts, read 140,829 times
If you're visiting Idaho from out of state, a 14-day self-quarantine is recommended for visitors from states with more cases. https://visitidaho.org/covid-19-travel-alert/

Old 07-08-2020, 10:52 PM

215 posts, read 258,849 times
Quote:
It is the touching of your hands to your face that is the biggest problem. Virusus can work into your system through your eyes and nose and mouth.... and maybe your ears? Your hands could be covered with germs but they won't get through the skin unless it is dry-cracked or you have a wound; it's when you touch your face that the virus gets its opportunity.
I have been a hand washer, hand wipe user and don’t touch my face person for years. I honestly cannot recall the last time I have had a cold or the flu. And I’m in my mid 60’s and travel to LA at least twice a year and ride the Metro to visit family there.

I also take vitamin supplements; especially vitamin D that I never needed until moving to ID.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsource View Post
I have been a hand washer, hand wipe user and don’t touch my face person for years. I honestly cannot recall the last time I have had a cold or the flu. And I’m in my mid 60’s and travel to LA at least twice a year and ride the Metro to visit family there.

I also take vitamin supplements; especially vitamin D that I never needed until moving to ID.
Good habits there. What is the 'vitamin D in ID thing'? Indoors more?

Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 AM

99 posts, read 56,344 times
Quote:

Going back a few years, I traveled alot for work on airplanes for about 5 years. I never did any of that stuff you describe...and I never get or got sick. Just sayin.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 AM

99 posts, read 56,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
If you're visiting Idaho from out of state, a 14-day self-quarantine is recommended for visitors from states with more cases. https://visitidaho.org/covid-19-travel-alert/
Thanks for that. We're leaving for Caldwell on Sunday.Staying for the week in an r.v park. Looks like we're good to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: