Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 38,792 times

Advertisements

Hi, My wife might be transfered to the Boise area for work and I'm just curious what housing costs are there. We currently live in the Mountains near Yosemite Ca. The mountains is where we want to live and have some property as well. We would like to have a home with a couple acres at least that is also close to National forest or BLM land that we can use for riding ATV's, hunting and horses. To find our piece of heaven that I just described is well over 500,000 dollars here! What about there?

If anyone can give us some ideas of towns that would fit what we are looking for that aren't too far from Boise I would really appreciate it.

Also if anyone has some time, We are not your typical Californians, we hate this state! We love all kinds of stuff outdoors, ATV's Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Horses, Jet sking, Boating....anything outdoors really. Thats why we live in the mountains now and away from the big city. We can't stand these liberals around here and the thinking process of most of the people here is absolutly crazy. Commen sense is being bred out of people here!! Anyway, tell us a little bit about Idaho and why you like it so much, and maybe what you don't like also.

Thanks for all the help
Casey and Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM

241 posts, read 998,389 times
The only places here in ID where you are going to get Mountains like Yosemite are in the Stanley, Macky, Ketchum and over on the East side of the state. Boise has mountains around it but nothing like there. I grew up in Ojai CA where we were in a bowl with the 10,000 foot Nordhoff mountain and Pine mountain behind us so coming to ID was a lil depressing for me when it came to the mountains.

If you are a member of any breed registry get a hold of them and find their local club in Boise. There is a wonderful horse park in Nampa but as far as trails go I wouldn't know anything about it. AQHA and the AHA have local clubs that you could email and ask. Idaho State Horse Show Association, and the Pinto Club of American and well as the ApHC who's trainer of the yr lives in Twin Falls. There are many many horse owners in the Boise-State Line area and they have tons of shows and competitions there.

As for fishing, here in Twin we have tons of places to go so I am sure that the Boise area isn't much different.

You will do fine here in ID, especially since you are outdoor ppl. When you get the chance go to Island Park, on the East side, and go fishing on the river there.

I love Idaho and I would stay here if it wasn't for a certain group of ppl that have been a lil on the very weird side. My favorite part of the state is the East side where there is tons to do outdoors. We were only 20 miles from Yellowstone when we lived in Ashton so we were there several times a week.

I hope that it all works out for you.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:55 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,570 times
It might be helpful to know how far away from Boise you are willing to commute, as well as a price range of what you are willing to spend. I know a home on 2 acres close to Boise would be a good chunck of change; it wouldn't surprise me if you would be pushing up to at least $500k. Land is a premium in the Boise metro area now. I'm not terribly familiar with towns outside of Boise/Meridian, so perhaps some else on here could offer some ideas.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 AM

241 posts, read 998,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
It might be helpful to know how far away from Boise you are willing to commute, as well as a price range of what you are willing to spend.
Here are some cities around Boise. Kuna 19.5 m, Eagle 9.9 m, Nampa 19.3 m, Caldwell 28.4m, Star 16.8 m, Notus 34 m, Middleton 23.3 miles, Wilder 39.7m, Homedale 43.5 m, Parma 42.6 m, Emmett 29.1 m.

If you find another city let me know and I can run the mileage for you. I know that Kuna, Eagle, Nampa, Star, Notus and Parma and big horse cities, I have only been to Nampa to pick up a horse and the it didn't seem real horse friendly till you get further south of town.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks for all the input! I'll try to give you guys a little better description of what we may be looking for. We don't like the city but we both have to work in the city. We commute 45 to an hour every day from where we live now to the city to work. I would like the commute to be less but that might not be a possability for where we want to live. We want to be in the country/mountains/foothills with at least a couple acres and would like to spend around 250,000 or so. Also a big thing for us is national forest and/or BLM land. We want that to be close if possible. Where we live now national forest is about 15 minutes away and we are always there.

Basically I'm looking for the closest mountain/country town where prices aren't too high for a decent home on a couple acres.

Thanks
Casey

Old 01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
orb

13 posts, read 39,277 times
Can't stand liberals? You'll love it here.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Great! Thats what I was hopeing orb!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:12 AM

Oakhurst, for the amount of money you want to spend for that amount of land, you are probably going to still have a long commute...especially if you end up working in downtown Boise and have a regular 8-5 job. I had some friends that commuted from Nampa to Boise and it would take them at least 45 minutes to get to work in downtown, if there were no accidents on the interstate.

Oh, and orb is right; if you dislike liberals, you should enjoy most of Idaho...that's one of the reasons I left!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 20,630 times
Oakhurst......I live in Nampa, Id..and the commute to Boise is horrible during the rush hours. Sounds to me like you would be interested in the Robie Creek/Idaho City area. Lots of BLM and Forest service ground..... Its a picturesque old mining town on hiway 21 north of Boise. Its great country for ATV's, fishing, camping, horses, plus you're on the edge of the Frank Church wilderness area. I have a mini-ranch in New Meadows that I am trying to sell, but its more ground than you are interested in, (21.6 acres), and too far to commute. Great country, tho. The little salmon river runs thru it.....facing the ski runs on Brundage mt. Good luck, and welcome to Idaho.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlhubbs View Post
Oakhurst......I live in Nampa, Id..and the commute to Boise is horrible during the rush hours. Sounds to me like you would be interested in the Robie Creek/Idaho City area. Lots of BLM and Forest service ground..... Its a picturesque old mining town on hiway 21 north of Boise. Its great country for ATV's, fishing, camping, horses, plus you're on the edge of the Frank Church wilderness area. I have a mini-ranch in New Meadows that I am trying to sell, but its more ground than you are interested in, (21.6 acres), and too far to commute. Great country, tho. The little salmon river runs thru it.....facing the ski runs on Brundage mt. Good luck, and welcome to Idaho.
shirlhubbs,
How would those roads be for him in the winter time though, if he's commuting to work in Boise? I drove up that way to go sledding one winter and I remember the roads were pretty slick, but that could have been a one time thing. Also, aren't those roads pretty crowded close to the weekends in the summer? Just thought I would ask, since one of his questions regarded commuting time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area