Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,532 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I have been living in Bozeman, Montana since 2001 (originally from Ohio). But, I am considering moving to a much larger city. I pretty much moved here for the fishing and its proximity to Yellowstone. But, the limited job market and the dating scene are pushing me out. I have made a decent run of it as the financial controller for one of the larger manufacturers in town, but I really need to expand my wings professionally. And, at 36, I have had a really difficult time meeting a girl here. I am not saying that I want to run out and get married, but I do want a healthy dating life. There is a college here but I am not into dating 20 something’s. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, my questions are…How is the singles scene in Boise? And, I have also heard some negative comments about the Mormon influence in Boise. Will I be treated as an outsider since I am not Mormon? I believe the data shows that only about 15% of the population is Mormon which does not sound like a lot to me. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks in advance for the advice. BTW, some of the other cities I am considering are Spokane, Denver, and Portland.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
If you read plenty of posts in this Idaho section, you'll note that the LDS influence is NOT a problem in Boise. Boise doesn't strike me as a hotbed of singles activity compared to larger cities, but then again, I'm not single and I'm only in Boise WITH my wife and kids for sports, so it's not like we're out clubbing...

Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 AM

960 posts, read 1,162,321 times
I was going to suggest Portland, then saw your last sentence. I agree that at your age the Mormon factor is pretty much a non-issue other than eliminating ~15% of the female pool. A larger population overall would help your case though. I've spent time in all those cities and it seems to me that the people in Bozeman are more like those in Portland than those in Boise or Spokane.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 AM

993 posts, read 3,251,826 times
20 somethings ???
Maybe I should plan a trip to Bozeman !

Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 AM

38 posts, read 105,263 times
Hey MTD,

I just moved to Boise about 2.5 months ago. Although I am married, I live right downtown, and to me, it seems like a "single's paradise". There are scores of "establishments" all in close proximity, and the whole area is hopping most nights. When I first met a buddy here, I was commenting on the seeming lack of good looking women and I was glad I brought mine with me. He told me to "that's like bringing sand to the beach, my friend."

I see what he means now that I'm downtown, and there are also other parts of Boise that are loaded with younger singles. I personally have not noticed much of a Mormon influence, and most of Boise seems progressive, hip, and creative.

gc

Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Boise has a good number of single people in their 20's and 30's who do not belong to the religion you mentioned. People here have similarities to people in Portland and a lot of single professionals have relocated to Boise from Portland so I think you would like what you see here. There are many younger creative people who call Boise home. You also will find that the fishing near Boise in the mountains is some of the best anywhere.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdaufel View Post
[SIZE=3]I have been living in Bozeman, Montana since 2001 (originally from Ohio). But, I am considering moving to a much larger city. I pretty much moved here for the fishing and its proximity to Yellowstone. But, the limited job market and the dating scene are pushing me out. I have made a decent run of it as the financial controller for one of the larger manufacturers in town, but I really need to expand my wings professionally. And, at 36, I have had a really difficult time meeting a girl here. I am not saying that I want to run out and get married, but I do want a healthy dating life. There is a college here but I am not into dating 20 something’s. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, my questions are…How is the singles scene in Boise? And, I have also heard some negative comments about the Mormon influence in Boise. Will I be treated as an outsider since I am not Mormon? I believe the data shows that only about 15% of the population is Mormon which does not sound like a lot to me. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks in advance for the advice. BTW, some of the other cities I am considering are Spokane, Denver, and Portland.[/SIZE]

No Mormon issues here at all in Boise. Just too many people out of work looking for employment that they can do. Bring a job with you!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:59 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
No Mormon issues here at all in Boise. Just too many people out of work looking for employment that they can do. Bring a job with you!!!
Or have a good resume until the economy starts picking back up

Old 03-17-2009, 03:46 PM

215 posts, read 788,767 times
downtown, northend, bench areas sound like they would be great for you...there is a singles scene here (although I'm married I'm not blind!) so you'd get that activity as well as the outdoor activity you're looking for...look at boiseidahojobs.com to get a heads up on what's out there right now for jobs.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 13,532 times
I wanted to thank everyone for their help. Not sure where I am going to end up, but Boise is high on the list. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area