Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:50 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,202 times

Advertisements

I moved from OC to Boise...CA sucks to raise a family, if you care about values and ethics...good for you for being proactive and not in denial like so many others blinded by the sunshine and beaches!

It's only a 15 hour drive through Nevada from southern CA to Boise so our family visited often...it was actually a nice distance! It will give them nice mini-vacations to come see her and appreciate her more!

I LOVE BOISE so much more than CALIFORNIA (any part of it)....you'd never regret Boise....never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2srea View Post
Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been talked about before, but is there anyone here whos left California for Boise? Did you have a family? What's it like moving from your parents if you have kids?

I'm a young father (23), married with a baby girl (7 months old). Even at my age, I'm fed up with california. This place stinks. I have a great job in education, and saw an opening in Boise for my same position, which sparked me looking again. I had a close friend whose family moved there and loved it.

My major reasons for wanting to move are,

first, cost of living- I would love my wife to stay home with the kids as they grow up, and not have to work. Right now, I make about 55/year and STILL cant afford a DECENT place to live. Sure I could buy a house- inthe ghetto- horrible schools, trashy people, dirty city. Along with this, is that taxes are killer here and its getting worse with our moronic state legislature.

Second- I want to live with like minded, decent people, where I can feel comfortable rasing my daughter. I know no place is perfect, but californians are, as a whole, self centered, "its all about me and my happiness" kind of people- I don't really think this needs further explaination ;-)

I know there's not Utopia in life, and I'm not expecting that. I would, however, love to live somewhere affordable and peaceful. Boise seems to fit that, plus it looks like a beautiful piece of country. :-) My only, ONLY reason for not having moved yet is my and my wife's parents. I don't know that I could take that away from my daughter. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,389 times
almost 1/2 of the people in Idaho are from Ca, Or,Wa. its a great place to raise your children

Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Economy right now is terrible, with unemployment hovering at around twice the national average.

[+] Rate this post positively
You are extremely incorrect mr. unhappy. The Boise unemployment rate is almost neck and neck with the current national average.
Plesase do some research.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 PM

426 posts, read 958,014 times
Quote:
Boise is not nearly as idyllic and pristine as Missoula. Several factors cause this: Boise is MUCH hotter in the summer; our summers are damn near as hot as Las Vegas or Salt Lake. Remember, Boise is technically situated in high desert geography. Also, too many people have moved here: we have experienced a 35% growth rate in a mere 10 years!! Also, air quality in winter is bad due to inversions. Economy right now is terrible, with unemployment hovering at around twice the national average. ALso, Boise is very conservative and infested with Mormons and yuppies. Too, we must have more kids under 16 per capita than any city in the country, and many ar allowed to run wild due to their kid-whipped parents. Giving us the nickname "Brat Tolerant Boise."
Are you going to post this in every thread?

Just askin'.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:49 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
As I've said to you before, it's too bad that the move over here didn't work for you. As you know all ready, it doesn't mean it might not work for others. By your own admission you didn't do your homework only to find out that this might not have been the best choice for you and your family. I do have to question if you gave it enough time......in your past post you said you you moved in May of 06 to Idaho, then you were all ready talking about moving back to California by Dec 07, according to another one of your posts. You mention above that you lived in Emmett for one year and Boise for another.............it doesn't sound to me that you really gave your move enough time. Boise and Emmett are about 45min apart, so if you move from one city to another, it's like moving to a completely different environment. Based on your posts it doesn't seem like you were even here a full year and you were all ready thinking about moving back home.

I understand that this area might not be for everyone, but based on your past posts I don't feel you really gave your move a chance. In less than two years you moved two different places....know wonder you and your family had trouble adjusting. I'm not trying to pick on you or be mean, but the picture you're painting isn't matching your past posts.

I wish you all the best in San Diego and I'm glad you're happy there.
That's doonan's opinion so let him/her have it without getting defensive. I agree, Boise is not for everyone so leave it at that.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:04 PM

75 posts, read 302,312 times
I'm from the SF Bay Area and we are considering relocating for many of the reasons you mentioned. I'm trying to plan a trip mid October. To the OP -You're not alone, my friend. The fact that there seems to be anti California sentiment actually makes me feel good and positive about the Boise people (Boisians?). I'm from California and even I can't stand Californians!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
In short, the answer is YES you should consider moving here. California is a complete mess but not for the reasons you think.

However, it sounds like you have "Caveman values" of "Wife no work. Wife stay home. Wife you cook Me Dinner." Maybe you would have more money if you had dual incomes? It's sad that you place such heavy work restrictions on your wife and, presumably, your daughter? Aren't you being a bit self-centered, which is an attitude you claim disgusts you in California?

The legislature recently trimmed $4mil from Education. I think only Nampa is hiring teachers. There's a brand new community college in Nampa but it missed enrollment projections. In short, the entire education sector is under strain here. That job you saw advertised might actually not be filled.

There are plenty of young 20 somethings here with families and kids. You would probably fit right in. A dollar here goes MUCH FURTHER than in California, 60% less on utilities, 6% sales tax, no CRV, very affordable auto registration, etc...

How dare you associate his values with that of a caveman. This traditional class values of this country were built on the concept ot the nuclear family with a working father and a stay-at-home mother who was devoted to raising their children. TO devalue this young man's choice of lifestyle by referring to him as adopting values equal to that of a primate is elitist, judgemental blather. You owe him an apology.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:20 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
I'm from the SF Bay Area and we are considering relocating for many of the reasons you mentioned. I'm trying to plan a trip mid October. To the OP -You're not alone, my friend. The fact that there seems to be anti California sentiment actually makes me feel good and positive about the Boise people (Boisians?). I'm from California and even I can't stand Californians!
Come on up and visit, October is beautiful in Boise. I know many great California transplants turned Idahoans, and I value and appreciate the Cali people who want to move to Boise for a better life, single or with a family.

ps. we are Boiseans

Old 09-23-2009, 03:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
Quote:
How dare you associate his values with that of a caveman. This traditional class values of this country were built on the concept ot the nuclear family with a working father and a stay-at-home mother who was devoted to raising their children. TO devalue this young man's choice of lifestyle by referring to him as adopting values equal to that of a primate is elitist, judgemental blather. You owe him an apology.
You know, I have to agree with you on this one. Most of the folks we know around our neck of the woods willingly live with less so that one parent can either be a stay-at-home mom or a part time working mom only.

I don't want to derail the thread and have us get into a social argument over this issue...but to keep it Idaho-related I will state emphatically that having both parents choose to work for the primary motivation of accumulating material wealth/toys/etc is not a popular concept around rural Idaho from what I see in my sphere of influence.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 11,123 times
Default Lived all over the country and Boise is great!

I lived in:KS, KY,OH CA and AZ and Boise is one of the best places I've ever lived. The people are friendly and it is a pretty place to live.
The cost of living is good and most people do not know what a great place Idaho is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2srea View Post
Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been talked about before, but is there anyone here whos left California for Boise? Did you have a family? What's it like moving from your parents if you have kids?

I'm a young father (23), married with a baby girl (7 months old). Even at my age, I'm fed up with california. This place stinks. I have a great job in education, and saw an opening in Boise for my same position, which sparked me looking again. I had a close friend whose family moved there and loved it.

My major reasons for wanting to move are,

first, cost of living- I would love my wife to stay home with the kids as they grow up, and not have to work. Right now, I make about 55/year and STILL cant afford a DECENT place to live. Sure I could buy a house- inthe ghetto- horrible schools, trashy people, dirty city. Along with this, is that taxes are killer here and its getting worse with our moronic state legislature.

Second- I want to live with like minded, decent people, where I can feel comfortable rasing my daughter. I know no place is perfect, but californians are, as a whole, self centered, "its all about me and my happiness" kind of people- I don't really think this needs further explaination ;-)

I know there's not Utopia in life, and I'm not expecting that. I would, however, love to live somewhere affordable and peaceful. Boise seems to fit that, plus it looks like a beautiful piece of country. :-) My only, ONLY reason for not having moved yet is my and my wife's parents. I don't know that I could take that away from my daughter. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area