Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times

Advertisements

One of our reasons for choosing Emmett was the lack of " no burn days " in the winter in Gem county.
From Nov to april last year how many no burn days did Ada county really have?
Do you folks with wood stoves still get to use them or are you thinking of going with a gas fireplace just to avoid the smoke police???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
that's good.. if you want to live a rural lifestyle.. go live someplace rural.. emmett is wonderful for that...
I get tired of people on the bench thinking it's still 1930 and it's ok for 2000 houses within a 5 square mile area to send plumes of smoke into the air like the good ole days.. only to leave it in the air for everyone to have to breathe when an inversion hits the valley.
I can understand why some people are anti-growth, because it impacts their lifestyle they've always known and had.. .but that's just how the world works...

sounds like you're making the right decision in choosing emmett...
best of luck and hope you feel right at home soon enough

Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Boiseguy your opinion is noted but what I was looking for was some facts.

How does using a fireplace or wood stove equate to living a rural lifestyle?
Chainsaws can be your friend
To some it's economics and others it's just a good source of heat that does not rely on some utility to make sure your family gets warm.
Having an alternate source of heat not reliant on utilities seems wise to me.
Modern wood stoves with catalytic chambers and good seasoned wood show no visable smoke . When the weather permits a wood stove is essential.
How many days last winter did Ada county call a no burn day do to inversions? Those would be the days I rely on utility based heat sources.
I can only assume when an inversion hits the valley most of the 2000 houses on the bench comply with the no burn restrictions?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Boiseguy your opinion is noted but what I was looking for was some facts.

How does using a fireplace or wood stove equate to living a rural lifestyle?
Chainsaws can be your friend
To some it's economics and others it's just a good source of heat that does not rely on some utility to make sure your family gets warm.
Having an alternate source of heat not reliant on utilities seems wise to me.
Modern wood stoves with catalytic chambers and good seasoned wood show no visable smoke . When the weather permits a wood stove is essential.
How many days last winter did Ada county call a no burn day do to inversions? Those would be the days I rely on utility based heat sources.
I can only assume when an inversion hits the valley most of the 2000 houses on the bench comply with the no burn restrictions?
you make a valid point, but boise's air quality can get pretty bad from burning, which is why the restrictions are in place now...
as for statistics.. I don't know for sure.. I'm sure there's someplace on the web with that information...
most people use gas fireplaces..
Air Data - Idaho Department of Environmental Quality
this site as local information on the burning bans... check it out, they might have other links to historical data...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area