Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:57 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

I'm in the middle of this book, having never read it when I was younger. Frankly, I find it difficult to read and there are times when I can't believe it was written by the same author who wrote East of Eden. I've been told by many people that this is a favorite of theirs. Maybe I'm missing something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
I love GoW, it's on my (personal, imaginary) "required" list.

I recently read EofE, which I liked very much as well, but the other is my fave of his.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 AM

245 posts, read 586,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm in the middle of this book, having never read it when I was younger. Frankly, I find it difficult to read and there are times when I can't believe it was written by the same author who wrote East of Eden. I've been told by many people that this is a favorite of theirs. Maybe I'm missing something....
Read it twice.
Then see the movie.
I think that you'll change your mind.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
I've heard more than a few say East of Eden is better than Grapes.

Steinbeck was truly a great author, that's for sure.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
Grapes of Wrath is a fantastic book, but one I think needs to be read slowly.

Like eating, don't gulp, chew it slowly, then think about what you read.

Immerse your mind in the time period as best you can. Like East of Eden, this book will reside in your mind forever.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Grapes of Wrath is a fantastic book, but one I think needs to be read slowly.
Now I don't feel as bad since it's taken me over a month to finish 230 pages. Over the weekend I got to the part where the Joads finally make it to California. I didn't realize how depressed I'd get reading it...the family is so unfairly taken advantage of. In the foreward it stated that Steinbeck did a huge amount of research on migrant workers before and during the period that he wrote it.

It's such a remarkably different book than East of Eden. It's most likely a tribute to what an amazing writer Steinbeck was.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:56 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Quote:
Now I don't feel as bad since it's taken me over a month to finish 230 pages. Over the weekend I got to the part where the Joads finally make it to California. I didn't realize how depressed I'd get reading it...the family is so unfairly taken advantage of. In the foreward it stated that Steinbeck did a huge amount of research on migrant workers before and during the period that he wrote it.

It's such a remarkably different book than East of Eden. It's most likely a tribute to what an amazing writer Steinbeck was.
Grapes of Wrath is one of my favourite books, and the movie was pretty good too. Steinbeck was an absolutely amazing author. GofW really moved me because my parents both were raised during the Great Depression in a rural farm area, and it is really something to hear them talk about people begging for work, before they would even accept a meal or a place to sleep. They both remember lots of young men riding the rails.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,874 times
Read it once, don't recall the details of it like I would any other book. I normally have a photographic memory when it comes to stories I read. Not with this one.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
One of the best books ever written in my opinion. Steinback's language simply flows with effortless ease and his deft touch is never IMO quite as potent and poignant as in this masterpiece of his. His grasp of social issues and social history coupled with his deep personal anger and distaste at the situation make this book a real classic in my eyes.

He humanises a situation most of us simply see as a part of a remote historical world and it is still just as relevant now as it was when he put pen to paper. A true literary giant because of his deep humanity .
I find none of his writings wether his journalistic endeavours like "America and Americans" , the journals of his journey to Russia or even "Travels with Charley" nor his novels have aged at all. He manages to condense the human experience and distil it onto its very essence with the potency of his writing. He allows us little windows into the souls of people and give them a resonant and rich voice. I love him for that. He brings us together.

The movie was pretty great too actually.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
...It's such a remarkably different book than East of Eden. It's most likely a tribute to what an amazing writer Steinbeck was.
I agree with you, and it does seem to me that he is not nearly as appreciated nowadays as he should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books