Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
The book was a novel and I was able to separate fact from fiction and enjoy a good readMy husband is a fundamental religious type and we argued over it. He kept bringing me all those pamphlets about the inaccuracies and about what a sinner Brown is.He never read the book, so I asked him why was he so upset over it

Reason people take offense to it is because the book says that all they've ever believed about they're religion might be a lie...I'm sorry to say this, but I believe people need something to believe in, b/c they cannot believe in themselves...they also needed a reason to explain death so it is not so scary...I do believe in a God...but not as it is written in the Bible...I think, we've been controlled by these beliefs...and if it were not true, then why were so many women slaughtered, raped and tortured for being witches. People have clung to a primitive belief, b/c they need a reason for being...they need a leader, they need to believe that there is something better waiting for them after living perhaps a tortured life right here....what people do not believe it, that they don't need to be a follower to be happy, or to have a spiritaul intimacy. Religion to me and for me, has always been a lie...and those who are most offended by this "idea" I think fear that all this time, they may have been wrong...they are not open minded, and it is the most difficult thing, to admit we're wrong. All religion is to me, is a job for human beings that claim to know God better then we do...yet, those same men, raped our children....I mean, think about it...really....All religions are man made, with man made rules....do you think God would have allowed all these religions????? I mean think about it....take the Catholic Religion for instance, what man, on the face of this earth, has the right to say..."Your sins are forgiven".

I think people who go to church every week, go b/c in their hearts they beileve, they're part is done by doing so.....and all the priests/pastors take advantage of that...if it were not true, they wouldn't have a job, would they?

I think people would be so upset if it were true, a lot of them couldn't handle the fact that all these thousands of years they've been lied to by man...simply for control, power and money. And yet, man is led by greed. Think about it?

It's not nuts...it's looking back through history with an open mind. And understanding how and why events fell into place.

I mean, man, always believed that if something strange happened, it was a spiritual event....for instance, back in the time of Jesus...they didn't know about Parkinson's disease, or mental illness, they actually thought, the person was possesed by demons and I bet, those people were killed, out of fear and ignorance. And women were not allowed to read the Bible in the Jewish faith...how ignorant was that? Women were not allowed to have opinions, and if they did, they were killed...and said to be possessed????? How ignorant????? And yet, most of the men who judged over these women and people were priests who controlled them.

I don't know if I am right, probably never will, it just seems to make sense....and again.....this information, didn't start with the Di Vinci Code...this has been speculated down through the ages...it's just been kept very, very quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Without going off topic, we are still discussing the Davinci CodeJust a quick reply to Creme. I call myself a believer, because although I do believe in God and creation, I believe that most of the bible is incorrectly translated to suit the translaters and who they were impressing. Therefore I do not think it is the infallible word of God. I have read other books by Brown and find him very enjoyable and amazingly adept with his research.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Thumbs up Many Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Without going off topic, we are still discussing the Davinci CodeJust a quick reply to Creme. I call myself a believer, because although I do believe in God and creation, I believe that most of the bible is incorrectly translated to suit the translaters and who they were impressing. Therefore I do not think it is the infallible word of God. I have read other books by Brown and find him very enjoyable and amazingly adept with his research.

Brown is a good author no doubt....yes, and the fiction part of his book, kept me on the edge of my seat...couldn't put the book down. My aunt was a editor/writer, and she said she thought it was the best book she read in a long time....not because of the content, but the way it was all put together...it really worked.

I agree with you....and thank you for responding....

Old 09-14-2007, 05:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
I really liked the Da Vinci Code. I believe in God, but I don't believe that the Bible is totally correct.

But at the same time I know a lot of religious people that go to church because they sincerely believe in Jesus and they actually live their belief, which I mean to say, they are truly caring and help others. It has only been recent in my life that I have met such people and so know they exist. So these people don't go to church in thinking that their part is done. I do agree that most think this way.

If the Da Vinci Code were true I would still believe in God, and I don't think that it would take anything away from Christ if he were married. Some that is written about him is a myth as far as I am concerned, like the virgin birth. Both the Hindu and Buddhist religions have decided somewhere along the line that their Gods (Hinduism) were virgin births, and in Buddhism they believe Buddha was a virgin birth. But some Buddhists now say that Buddha was not a virgin birth but that was added later. I think the same happened in Christianity as in these other religions. So all in all I think the Da Vinci Code could be right about a lot of things. There certainly is nothing wrong in being married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books