Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

I think that my head is in a bad space right now and every book I pick up (and read the first few pages) is just not doing it for me. My concentration is shot because I have so much else running through my mind. This is frustrating for me because reading is a great escape for me so that I do NOT have to think of the "other stuff."

I read "My Cousin Rachel" (Daphne DuMaurier), which I thought was terrific, But every book that I tried to read after that ("The Group" my Mary McCarthy; "Love in the Time of Cholera" by whatshisname; and something else that was so not working for me that I forget the title AND the author) felt like such a chore and I gave up. None of the other books in my "to read" pile (four Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith; "Jane Eyre"; and "Wuthering Heights") had any appeal and I didn't even try to start on them, fearing that it would be the kiss of death if I tried them now -- I'd never pick them up again, which is the case, I think now, for "The Group" and "Love in the Time of Cholera". Alas...

I ordered "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and am looking forward to its arrival. I also have some others on my list to get. Two of them are only being released in January ("Left Neglected" by Lisa Genova; "Annabel" by Kathleen Winter) but I'm pondering getting these as well:
  • "An Object of Beauty" by Steve Martin
  • "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" by (the author's name escapes me... Simonson?)
Have any of you read "An Object of Beauty" and/or "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand"?

What did you think of them? I think that I'm afraid to pick up a book now, unless it gets rave reviews from at least some of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I think that my head is in a bad space right now and every book I pick up (and read the first few pages) is just not doing it for me. My concentration is shot because I have so much else running through my mind. This is frustrating for me because reading is a great escape for me so that I do NOT have to think of the "other stuff."

I read "My Cousin Rachel" (Daphne DuMaurier), which I thought was terrific, But every book that I tried to read after that ("The Group" my Mary McCarthy; "Love in the Time of Cholera" by whatshisname; and something else that was so not working for me that I forget the title AND the author) felt like such a chore and I gave up. None of the other books in my "to read" pile (four Ripley books by Patricia Highsmith; "Jane Eyre"; and "Wuthering Heights") had any appeal and I didn't even try to start on them, fearing that it would be the kiss of death if I tried them now -- I'd never pick them up again, which is the case, I think now, for "The Group" and "Love in the Time of Cholera". Alas...

I ordered "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and am looking forward to its arrival. I also have some others on my list to get. Two of them are only being released in January ("Left Neglected" by Lisa Genova; "Annabel" by Kathleen Winter) but I'm pondering getting these as well:
Have any of you read "An Object of Beauty" and/or "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand"?

What did you think of them? I think that I'm afraid to pick up a book now, unless it gets rave reviews from at least some of you.
Just looking at the titles you mentioned they all seem to be in the same genre. Maybe you need to switch to books with different themes. If you have been feeling down because of personal problems etc. maybe reading a couple books by Janet Evanovich would put you in a better frame of mind. In my opinion if you need to perk up your day she is one of the best reads out there.

GL2

Old 12-20-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Just looking at the titles you mentioned they all seem to be in the same genre. Maybe you need to switch to books with different themes. If you have been feeling down because of personal problems etc. maybe reading a couple books by Janet Evanovich would put you in a better frame of mind. In my opinion if you need to perk up your day she is one of the best reads out there.

GL2
I'm not a fan of a light read; I don't get lost in them. I'll look into her books, but I don't think that they'll grab me. I think that the Henrietta Lacks book will, and I'm hoping that the others are good, too.

Thank you for your input -- it's much appreciated.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,122 times
Quote:

I haven't read either of them, so can't provide any input....but, whenever I get in a mood like that, I tend to pick up an old favorite and re-read. The last time it happened, even that didn't help. I ended up going to the library and picking up some of the young adult books I read in high school. Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet", Will Weaver's "Farm Team" and "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. It's weird, but was almost like meeting old friends again and was enough to push me out of my funk.

Hope "the other stuff" gets better for you!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:

I just downloaded samples of the two books and am going to order both. I enjoyed Martin's Shop Girl and The Pleasure of my Company. Steve Martin is an avid art collector and his knowledge of the art world should make the book pretty interesting. Twelve paintings featured at the beginning of each chapter. So far I've only read a few pages of the Major Pettigrew sample, but I'm in the mood for a light read after finishing
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet A lengthy book about the Dutch East India Company and their involvement with Japan when it was totally isolated from Europe. Although well written, depressing in parts.
I'm working of the 100 Notable Book suggestions from the NYT.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I haven't read either of them, so can't provide any input....but, whenever I get in a mood like that, I tend to pick up an old favorite and re-read. The last time it happened, even that didn't help. I ended up going to the library and picking up some of the young adult books I read in high school. Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet", Will Weaver's "Farm Team" and "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. It's weird, but was almost like meeting old friends again and was enough to push me out of my funk.

Hope "the other stuff" gets better for you!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just downloaded samples of the two books and am going to order both. I enjoyed Martin's Shop Girl and The Pleasure of my Company. Steve Martin is an avid art collector and his knowledge of the art world should make the book pretty interesting. Twelve paintings featured at the beginning of each chapter. So far I've only read a few pages of the Major Pettigrew sample, but I'm in the mood for a light read after finishing
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet A lengthy book about the Dutch East India Company and their involvement with Japan when it was totally isolated from Europe. Although well written, depressing in parts.
I'm working of the 100 Notable Book suggestions from the NYT.
Ahhhh, you've got me a step closer to order them now.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
"The Group" by Mary McCarthy is one of my favorite books. So, I probably should not comment on what you might enjoy.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
"The Group" by Mary McCarthy is one of my favorite books. So, I probably should not comment on what you might enjoy.
HAHAHA! I think it's just my head space right now. I've been in this situation before -- not liking a book at all (or any book, for that matter) and then, maybe a month or six months down the road, picking it up again and LOVING it (and not understanding why I didn't adore it in the first place).

Old 12-23-2010, 07:02 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
HAHAHA! I think it's just my head space right now. I've been in this situation before -- not liking a book at all (or any book, for that matter) and then, maybe a month or six months down the road, picking it up again and LOVING it (and not understanding why I didn't adore it in the first place).

I so totally understand what you are saying.

I attempted "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and I couldn't stand it. I put it down and read something else. Then I came back to the book and loved it. Enjoying a book certainly is affected by where our heads are at the time.

I do reread books when my mind is elsewhere. They center me.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
"Love in the Time of Cholera" was just awful, IMO. I read it for a group or else I would have put it down pretty quickly. I thought the characters were stupid but maybe I don't get "magical realsim" or whatever it's supposed to be.

When I get into a mood, I like to read 20th century autobiographies. Can't remember the titles now but 2 by women were made into Masterpiece series: one by Vera Britten and one by an Englishwoman who married a German before WWII and who lived in Germany through the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books