Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee is another book whose title struck my funny bone. The blurb calls it a national bestseller. Looking at it, I think you might want to add this one to your list, Dawn.
WHAT? My list isn't already long enough???

Fine. I'll add this one. It's all your fault for thinking of me. (Thank you. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times
It's a long list. But on the top of the physical pile is Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow and Gaddis' George F. Kennan: An American Life.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:07 PM

I've got a new list going on:

1. The Lifeboat (Charlotte Rogan)
2. Downtown (Pete Hamill)
3. If He Hollers, Let Him Go (Chester Himes)
4. Cancer Ward (Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn)
5. The Winter of Our Discontent (John Steinbeck)
6. The Perfect Gentleman (Imran Ahmad)
7. Beware of Pity (Stefan Zweig)
8. Running with the Bulls (Valerie Hemingway)
9. Two Lives (Vikram Seth) -- how did I never hear about this book???

Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM

220 posts, read 282,953 times
You know what? I had a list. I posted it here. Dawn, you even commented on it. But lately, I've given up on it. I realized I had enough going on with my life that reading whatever I felt like was what would give me comfort. So I've plucked books off my bookshelf and read ones recommended to me. I read the Hunger Games trilogy. I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books for the who-knows-what time. Nothing gives me comfort or gets me out of a funk like reading Harry Potter (thank you, J.K. Rowling!) I think I'm going to read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy after Harry. Maybe I'll go back to my list at some point. But for now, reading whatever catches my fancy is the way to go. That isn't to say I don't have multiple lists of books I'd like to read - that's where my amazon wish list or those lists I've written and printed up come in. But for now, I'm happy reading whatever! Cheers to books!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
You know what? I had a list. I posted it here. Dawn, you even commented on it. But lately, I've given up on it. I realized I had enough going on with my life that reading whatever I felt like was what would give me comfort. So I've plucked books off my bookshelf and read ones recommended to me. I read the Hunger Games trilogy. I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books for the who-knows-what time. Nothing gives me comfort or gets me out of a funk like reading Harry Potter (thank you, J.K. Rowling!) I think I'm going to read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy after Harry. Maybe I'll go back to my list at some point. But for now, reading whatever catches my fancy is the way to go. That isn't to say I don't have multiple lists of books I'd like to read - that's where my amazon wish list or those lists I've written and printed up come in. But for now, I'm happy reading whatever! Cheers to books!
I agree with you 100%. The list that I posted is just books that I have -- be it on my Kindle or in my night table or in route to me -- but I'm not a slave to it. Yesterday, we went to the Cape for the day and wandered into a used book store. I found a book. It's not going to the bottom of my list -- I'll read it when I feel like it.

I wish that I could be like you and re-read books. As much as I love a certain book (ones that come to mind right now are Still Alice, Blue Nights, and Memoirs of a Geisha) and even if I own those books (I own those that I just listed), I can't read them again. Not because I remember them so well (I'm 47 now -- my brain doesn't work that way) but because I feel like there are so many books and so little time, and I should read the ones that I haven't looked at yet. I wish that I could get past that, though, and just re-read ones that I've so enjoyed in the past.

I hope that you're doing OK today, that you're out of your funk, that you're feeling good. If Harry Potter makes you feel happy, then I vote that you read Harry Potter every single day. Know only joy, Midge. Only joy.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 PM

220 posts, read 282,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I hope that you're doing OK today, that you're out of your funk, that you're feeling good. If Harry Potter makes you feel happy, then I vote that you read Harry Potter every single day. Know only joy, Midge. Only joy.
Thanks, Dawn. Fortunately this time my Harry Potter re-reading is because I missed the series and it was time for a re-read. I'm finally on the 7th book, which I think is the best one, so I'm pretty happy book-wise right now!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Just purchased The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lackes and am into it for about 30 pages now. So far it seems very sad, so I don't want to waste time reading this book if it's a downer.

Anyone read it and found it worthwhile? I usually read books that are happy uplifting, good endings. Thanks for your comments

Old 06-12-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Just purchased The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lackes and am into it for about 30 pages now. So far it seems very sad, so I don't want to waste time reading this book if it's a downer.

Anyone read it and found it worthwhile? I usually read books that are happy uplifting, good endings. Thanks for your comments
You're right -- it's not a happy story. It's a good story, it's an interesting story, it's a sad story, but it's definitely not uplifting.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Thanks DandJ; may not continue on with it. Will I ever learn not to trust some of the 5 star ratings ! Appreciate suggestions much more from those who read a lot and participate in forums like this.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM

289 posts, read 569,982 times
Looking back over my previous list makes me realize that while I have made some progress I have gotta STOP looking at books everywhere I go & START reading the ones I already have.

I still have the Deadly Night, Deadly Harvest, & Deadly Gift books to read as well as about 6 other Heather Graham books to read.

I've also added The Hunger Games triology, The Girl Who "..fill in title here.." triology, 3 Dean Koontzs, 3 Nora Roberts, a James Patterson, some Nicholas Sparks, & a crap load of other random books that looked interesting.

I'm also working on the Vampire Diaries books, on 6 of 9 right now.

Also still have:
Trapped by Chris Jordan
Trust in Me by Kathryn Shay
Fallen Angel by Margaret & Lizz Weis
Rogue by Danielle Steel
A NASCAR Holiday 2
Behind the Shadows by Patricia Potter
Thunder of Time by James F David
Burn Notice by James O Born
Last Gasp by Carla Cassidy
Deadly Impulse by Olga Bicos
Knotts by Nuruddin Farah
Michigan Weddings
Born to Soon by Elizabeth Mehren

At least I've finished the Vampire Academy series & am caught up on the Morganville Vampire & Sookie Stackhouse series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
I'm currently on book 3 of 9 in the Morganville Vampire Series by Rachel Caine.

Then there's the 6 books in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.

The Seance, The Death Dealer, Deadly Night, Deadly Harvest, & Deadly Gift by Heather Graham.
Cut Throat, Blown Away, Torn Apart, & Swept Aside by Sharon Sala
Trapped by Chris Jordan
Trust in Me by Kathryn Shay
Fallen Angel by Margaret & Lizz Weis
Rogue by Danielle Steel
A NASCAR Holiday 1 & 2
Behind the Shadows by Patricia Potter
Thunder of Time by James F David
Burn Notice by James O Born
Last Gasp by Carla Cassidy
Deadly Impulse by Olga Bicos
Knotts by Nuruddin Farah
Michigan Weddings
Born to Soon by Elizabeth Mehren

And I am thinking of starting the House of Night series by PC Cast. So far theres like 8 books in that series but my boss said she'd sell them all to me for $20.

Plus there's a few others laying around the house I may or may not read. And there's a few books coming out this year that continue with some of the series I've already read, so I'm going to want to get those as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books