Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Im really curious about the whole iPad vs. Kindle vs. Nook debate. I was totally ready to pick up a Kindle when another person told me that I'd be able to download and read the same books on an iPad.

Now, I know that with the advent of Nooks and Kindles, the brick and mortar bookstore will eventually disappear like the Tower Records, Music Plus', Warehouses of the world (Borders will go belly-up in 2011), so its just a guessing game as to which is better of the "readers". Im thinking that the iPad may end up being the way to go, but I am not 100% sold on it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I've had my Kindle since September, and I love it! The battery really does last a month, especially if you have wifi turned off.

I bought a cover from Oberon Designs (http://www.oberondesign.com/kindle3.php (broken link)) - the Celtic Hounds in green. Yes, it cost $69 + shipping, but it was well worth it. I also bought a skin from Decal Girl (Amazon Kindle 3 Skins | DecalGirl). I'm not into accessories as a rule, but I just couldn't let my Kindle go out into the world completely naked!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Im really curious about the whole iPad vs. Kindle vs. Nook debate. I was totally ready to pick up a Kindle when another person told me that I'd be able to download and read the same books on an iPad.
Yep, Kindle have an app for the iPad (and iPhone/iPod Touch, as well as for other smartphones and computers). However, the iPad is much more expensive and does not use e-ink - plus it's much heavier. If you're okay with the price tag, the weight, reading on a computer screen and you want more than just an ereader, the iPad is for you. However, if you want something that looks like paper and ink and is more affordable, you should go with an ereader (I don't really consider the iPad an ereader, it's a tablet computer with ereader options).

Quote:
Now, I know that with the advent of Nooks and Kindles, the brick and mortar bookstore will eventually disappear like the Tower Records, Music Plus', Warehouses of the world (Borders will go belly-up in 2011), so its just a guessing game as to which is better of the "readers". Im thinking that the iPad may end up being the way to go, but I am not 100% sold on it yet.
Last time I checked, there was still a huge HMV with tons of CDs and DVDs for sale at my local mall. I wouldn't count on book store fronts disappearing that quickly. But if you're worried about it and still want an e-ink option, I would go with Kindle. They are more popular then B&N/Nook and they don't have "brick and mortar" store fronts anyway. They are also international which suggests they are more established than B&N/Nook. They also have more titles and sometimes lower prices. That's if you want an e-ink device. Again, if you're okay with what some people feel are the downsides to an iPad, go for it.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
This is really simple. If you are going to use your device for doing a lot of reading, get the Kindle. If you are going to use your device for lots of internet use and occasionally read, get an iPad. Just because the iPad has a Kindle app doesn't make it like the Kindle. And just because the Kindle can surf the web (somewhat limited though), doesn't make it like an iPad. The iPad blows away the Kindle on internet capability, but the Kindle blows the iPad away when it comes to reading. The two devices are not similar and should never be compared to each other.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The iPad is a far better newspaper and magazine reader, in part because of great graphics capability and in part because it's easier to follow threaded stories. The disadvantage of the iPad (other than price) is that there is currently a limited selection of magazines and the charge life is relatively short.

The screen is not nearly as eye-friendly, either - I tend to read late at night before going to bed, and the difference in eye strain and glare between reading the Kindle with a light on and the very-bright iPad is quite noticeable. The iPad is just large enough that it's not really as portable as the Kindle without carrying around a backpack and it's heavy enough that a couple hours of reading requires a stand or prop.

iPad has several ereader program available, and the iBooks app is probably the best-designed app as far as the reading experience on an iPad (compared to the Kindle app, e Reader app, freereader app) BUT the books in Apple's store are ridiculously expensive. I've seen several books for which the e-edition is more expensive than the hardback edition.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Magazines, yes. The iPad is great with those. However, I won't be giving up my paper edition of Time magazine anytime soon.

I noticed at Walmart that they had copies of Stephen King's "Full Dark, No Stars" for $20 in hardcover. The Kindle has it for $13. In theory, if you are a smart shopper, you could basically pay for your Kindle in savings differences. Same thing with an iPad, except will take one heck of a lot longer to pay that off in savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books