Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:52 AM

591 posts, read 866,489 times

Advertisements

80-20 Barnes and Noble/used bookstores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Borders is owned by Kmart, in case anyone does not know. I think the managers were not familiar with book sellers and customers and ran it into the ground.
Kmart used to own Borders and Waldenbooks. When Kmart ran into troubles in the 90's, they spun them both off to form Borders Group Inc.
The part you wrote about managers not being familiar with bookselling is completely and utterly true. Every 1-2 years they'd hire a new CEO who knew nothing about the business.

Borders Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as my book buying habits go, I try to get a decent price wherever I buy, but I do buy them. I'm all in favor of actually supporting my favorite authors, so they can continue to produce more books.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
I buy new books usually when I hear that one has just come out and I'm interested in the topic. Some take too long to get into paperback (which I prefer) or never do so.

I do order online through Addall and Barnes & Noble and Amazon, though, and they are often used.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:03 PM

52 posts, read 103,494 times
I usually buy my books from Barnes & Noble or borrow them from the library.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
I'm in the same club as those who utilize the local library; we also have online access to search for materials. We can see which branch(es) have the items on the shelf; or we can place a hold and then pick up the item(s) at whichever branch we prefer.

If I do buy a paperback, it's usually at Wal-Mart.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM

220 posts, read 283,040 times
Generally I buy new and used books on amazon (mostly paper books but also for the kindle), new books from Borders with a coupon (unfortunately no longer ) and used books from either the library, book fairs, half.com or used bookstores. I utilized all of the above methods except for half.com this past year. I love to use the library but unfortunately I can take awhile to read some books so if it's a lengthy book I tend to find a used copy somewhere. I LOVED the library in the last town we lived in because I could find pretty much every book on my to-read list at one of the two branches, but unfortunately we've moved to a small town with a 2-branch county library and it seems that if the book is not a best seller or a book that appeals to the masses then it is likely they don't have it. I'm a big history buff and unfortunately many of the books I want to read are not available. I can't complain too much, though, because at least I have a library minutes away from my house!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM

220 posts, read 283,040 times
I also like to scrounge around in my parents basement when I'm visiting; my father was an english major and english teacher so I can find some great paperback classics bought in the 60s!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I also like to scrounge around in my parents basement when I'm visiting; my father was an english major and english teacher so I can find some great paperback classics bought in the 60s!
I'd be interested in moving into their basement.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
My 55+ community has an excellent library run on the honor system, so I'll grab an armful of books that I can take my time reading. I also have a library card for the local library system and take books out from there less frequently. I buy new books from Amazon and just bought four books for $5 from Goodwill when I stopped in to drop off some clothes. Pretty pleased with my finds -- The Negotiator/Forsyth, Therapy/Kellerman, T is for Trespass/Grafton and The Five People you Meet in Heaven/Albom.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM

523 posts, read 654,828 times
I tend to buy most of my books at Barnes and Noble. For one, I like the overall atmosphere and enjoy spending time looking through their collection. If I want to read a certain book I will usually see if the library has it. I've also bought a couple off Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books