Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

I read a lot. It's always been one of my favorite things to do.

In the course of reading, I pick up anything from an interesting-looking library selection to stuff off the best-seller list to highly recommended favorite childhood books of my friends'.

I have noticed that many people who don't read much seem to think some really bad (or humdrum) books are really spectacular. I maintain that if they read a lot, they would know better. Usually these books are publicized by Oprah or the NYT...

Which books do you hear people raving about that you thought were just awful or just run-of-the-mill blah?

A couple to start off...

Twilight series
Kite Runner
Life of Pi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
The Lovely Bones
Anna Karenina
Main Street

I know I'll think of more later.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I think book choices are very subjective. there is something about the mass appeal of the ever-predictable john grisham or james patterson, also, some laugh-out-loud reads like the latest janet evanovich book. political thrillers, science fiction, whatever. I think it just depends on what touches you at the moment as the reader.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Which books do you hear people raving about that you thought were just awful or just run-of-the-mill blah?
Forrest Gump. Decent movie. Terrible book.

JAWS. One of the greatest movies ever made. Ho-hum book. The movie had some of the most memorable cinema characters ever. Those same characters in the book were not only unsympathetic, they were downright unlikeable. Hard to enjoy this kind of book when the only cool character is the shark.

The Godfather. May be the greatest movie ever made. Decidedly mediocre book.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Very well-respected SF story. I thought it ranged from weird to borderline incoherent. And not in a good way. In a bad way.

The Historian. Not a bad book, but over praised. Very overwritten to the point of pretentiousness. Pacing was slow as January molasses.

Possession by A.S. Byatt. Boring, boring, boring. Beautiful prose, yes. But that just made it beautifully boring, boring, boring.

I've tried reading James Patterson. Really tried. I couldn't. The writing was just so, so bad. I couldn't finish. Too painful.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Anything by Paul Coelho, and at the other end of the pole, Ayn Rand - pretentious fairytales for expounding her philosophy of personal fascism....zzzzz zzzzz zzzzzzzzz

Old 09-15-2009, 06:10 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
The first book that came to mind was Zen and the Art of Motercycle Maintenance. I just could never see what people liked about it. I did like the Twilight series though. It wasn't the best I have ever read certainly but I found myself thinking about it later which to me is a sign of a good book.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
I have noticed that many people who don't read much seem to think some really bad (or humdrum) books are really spectacular. I maintain that if they read a lot, they would know better.
I was agreeing with you there, until you said "Kite Runner"!

And Jess, Anna Karenina?? One of the Best.Books.Ever!

I like "thinking" books, and I notice many of my friends prefer escapism entertainment. Of course, I believe MY taste to be better, lol!

In the last 5 years or so, I've gotten good at checking reader websites looking for reviews, and better know how to find books I might like. When I hear lots of people talking about a book, I tend to avoid it.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Lol, lola...I think what really bothered me about Kite Runner was that it came out at the time during which all you had to do to write a best-seller was do a story about how some poor person was abused and f'd up in their childhood...the whole genre was getting tired. Still is.

Grisham, Patterson, and Evanovich bore the living crud out of me...I think these guys are writing for the money now...there's no art left in their books.

Reps to all...keep those examples flowing.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
....In the last 5 years or so, I've gotten good at checking reader websites looking for reviews, and better know how to find books I might like.
I have started using the net for that, and some of these reviews have been great essays in their own right.

Quote:
When I hear lots of people talking about a book, I tend to avoid it.
I have four acquaintances whose opinions on books I listen too with rapt attention. Whatever else they may be they are reading bottom-feeders.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I didn't think Kite Runner was a great book. Defective, and he wasn't a good enough writer without a hook. But not bad enough to be a bad book. I thought Zen/Motorcycle was a wonderful book, there are few books that I've read that nailed modern human nature that way.

Life of Pi, I did not like much in the first half, and actually skipped quite a few pages to jump ahead and see if it was going anywhere. The second half was pretty good, stylish and well-crafted, and I loved the ending.

A great book is a book in which I say, often, after reading a passage or a paragraph, "I wish I could write like that". Or, more importantly, "I wish more people could". A bad book is one that I just quit after a few chapters, and I can't remember what any of them are, but the last one I did that was McEwan's "Atonement". I ought to pay more attention, so I don't accidentally try to read them again sometime. One of the worst highly-regarded books that I plodded all the way thorugh and didn't care for was Secret Life of Bees.

Two books come to mind that were spectacular at first, through about the first quarter of the book, and then just collapsed into a trite series of declarative sentences, and I wish I had quit while I was ahead. "Lonesome Dove" and "The Tin Drum".

Last edited by jtur88; 09-15-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books