Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anymore, I won't start a book that is over 400 pages. Been disappointed too many times. and paid too many hours for the privilege. I also don't like short stories. I like a book I can get into and flow with it, but not forever.
And I'd be afraid I've missed a great story. Some of my favorite books have been way over your 400 page limit. Stephen King's 'The Stand' - originally over 800 pages; republished with nearly 1,200 and both very good reads. The Harry Potter series totals approximately 3,500 pages, spread over 7 volumes - first just over 300, final nearly 800. there are a lot of criteria that determine whether or not I find a book enjoyable, but number of pages is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
I hated "Who Moved my Cheese" It's patronizing corporate brainwashing.

Why, but why did I read that book?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
Some recent ones that quickly come to mind for me are:

Three Junes
Atonement
Life of Pi
Reading Lolita in Tehran (what a total waste of wonderful material)
Thought Atonement and Life of Pi were a couple of the very best books I've read.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Yup...some of my fave books were well over 1000 pages, including The Stand and GWTW.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
Actually, Joe Queenan references some pretty atrocious "schlock" fiction in his book "White Trash, Red Lobster and The Blue Lagoon"

If you want a really good laugh, read the book and the chapter where he brutally dissects VC Andrews's "Flowers In The Attic" series

It forms part of his "Masters of Bilge" canon

I wish I could quote him here but I don't think I can

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anymore, I won't start a book that is over 400 pages. Been disappointed too many times. and paid too many hours for the privilege. I also don't like short stories. I like a book I can get into and flow with it, but not forever.
I prefer long books. The longer, the better. Though, like you, I don't care for short stories at all, except for Andre Dubus.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:44 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,234 times
Middlesex -- uh!

Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Dating myself, but the first book I can remember reading that I thought was a dog that seemingly everyone else raved about--Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. I thought it was horrible.

The Bridges of Madison County
The Lord of the Rings books.

Senior moment here--the guy who wrote those books that got the Catholic church fired up...the mysteries...well, for me mystery, singular, as I only read the first one and didn't care for it. (...and no, I'm not Catholic.)

As someone said earlier, after 50 years of reading it is essentially subjective. I've read many books that I recognized were complete garbage, the talent thin, but the book was thoroughly enjoyable. (Books I call "my guilty pleasures".) On the other hand, I've read books that were obviously brilliant, deep, etc., but that bored me to death. Much of it also depends upon the mood I'm in at the time.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Dating myself, but the first book I can remember reading that I thought was a dog that seemingly everyone else raved about--Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. I thought it was horrible.

The Bridges of Madison County
The Lord of the Rings books.

Senior moment here--the guy who wrote those books that got the Catholic church fired up...the mysteries...well, for me mystery, singular, as I only read the first one and didn't care for it. (...and no, I'm not Catholic.)

As someone said earlier, after 50 years of reading it is essentially subjective. I've read many books that I recognized were complete garbage, the talent thin, but the book was thoroughly enjoyable. (Books I call "my guilty pleasures".) On the other hand, I've read books that were obviously brilliant, deep, etc., but that bored me to death. Much of it also depends upon the mood I'm in at the time.
Jonathan Livingstone Seagull and Bridges of Madison County I agree with you - I just could not force myself to read beyond the first few pages. Lord of the Rings, on the other hand, I absolutely love and reread at least once or twice a year since I 'discovered' it after the movies were made.

The guy who wrote the Catholic mysteries? Are you thinking of William X. Kienzle? I've read several of his and found them engaging for a few reasons - I'm not Catholic, though, so I don't know how close he came to real life with the Catholic issues. But, since they were all set in and around the Detroit area and I was living in that area when I read them, I know how accurate he was in describing various parts of the Metro Area. Need to find a used book store and try to complete my Kienzle collection.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Jonathan Livingstone Seagull and Bridges of Madison County I agree with you - I just could not force myself to read beyond the first few pages. Lord of the Rings, on the other hand, I absolutely love and reread at least once or twice a year since I 'discovered' it after the movies were made.

The guy who wrote the Catholic mysteries? Are you thinking of William X. Kienzle? I've read several of his and found them engaging for a few reasons - I'm not Catholic, though, so I don't know how close he came to real life with the Catholic issues. But, since they were all set in and around the Detroit area and I was living in that area when I read them, I know how accurate he was in describing various parts of the Metro Area. Need to find a used book store and try to complete my Kienzle collection.
Don't think it was Kienzle...they are relatively new---movies were made from the books starring Tom Hanks...

Maybe I'll try Lord of the Rings again...for the third time...I've noticed as I age that some books I once thought were good I now think are bad, and vice-versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books