Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 01:25 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
You need to read The Stand! Size doesn't matter
Yeah, that's what he said.

Seriously though, I do really want to read it! Not sure why I haven't taken the plunge yet, but it's waiting patiently on my shelf... maybe when I finish my current book (Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill) I'll finally go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 AM

399 posts, read 854,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
halfabuck - I agree the house is really nice. He bought it from my son's good friend and his family. Of course they have added on, things like a theater and indoor swimming pool and the now famous fence. His street is not too far from me and I walk by every couple of weeks. I'm sure they will be heading back to Florida soon if they haven't already. But one year I know they stayed here through Thanksgiving.

Newdaawn-I had heard about everything it had and the house must go back a 1/4 of a mile! You live in a great neighborhood. Also they like FLA contrary to what he first thought. But Thanksgiving in New England is what it's all about.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Hard to say, but it would be one of the early ones.

'Salem's Lot
The Shining
The Dead Zone

I notice that these are his 2nd, 3rd and 5th full-length novels published as Stephen King. The sequencing is notable. After learning from his first novel, and skipping the epic The Stand, and epics are notoriously difficult to do masterfully, they are novels when he had the perfect combination of experience and freshness as an author, still drawing on the cream of his reservoir of ideas and metaphors. They were properly pared down compared with later works, like good double albums when the weakest 8 or 9 tracks scrapped to make a spectacular single album.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 PM

48 posts, read 300,314 times
The Dark Tower series is my favorite- Wizard and Glass is my favorite of the series- i think it's astounding.

Second would go to Eyes of the Dragon

another I enjoyed a lot that i didn't see mentioned was The Talisman

Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I havn't read a book by him yet but plan on it. Can someone give me an idea of what might be life lessons in his books. Maybe he has insights into human nature or maybe his writings tell how things might be if there would be a breakdown of law and order in this country. Or maybe its just plain entertainment with the horror element being the point. Any opinions are appreciated.
In answer to the question in the title, all of them. Yes, I mean that.

My first SK book was Salem's Lot. I read it when I was 13. Scared the beejeezus out of me to the point that I was too scared to look out my bedroom window at night. To this day, (some years later...ahem), it's the only book of his that I have not read again. I love his books, I'm a big fan, the second his book is out, I buy it and stay up for two days and nights reading the entire thing...I devour his books. And then, when I'm needing some good SK writing, I pick up a book again. But not Salem's Lot. I'm an adult now...have been an adult for awhile...I know it's fiction and I know there are no vampires...but my imagination is still just as active and wild as it was when I was 13 and I just do not have the guts to read that book again.

After that book, I was hooked and became a big fan.

But what I enjoy most about his books are not the scary parts, it's how he writes the characters. His characters tend to be so well developed, the dialogue they have with others or even with themselves is so...true...it simply delights my mind. I find myself LAUGHING a lot when reading his books BECAUSE of his characters and how they act and what they say.

For me, I get the most pleasure out of his "everyday" Joe than I do some climactic gory scene.

Life lessons? It's all up to your perception. It's like a painting. The artist meant one thing but to each person, that painting says something personal, something the artist didn't see because we all see things differently. (Barring the elitist snobs who see only what they are told they are supposed to see.)

Edit: Oh, and I now live about 5 minutes from his infamous house. I know I can go and take a photo and I will. I feel...it feels WEIRD to do that...it feels invasive. I know people do it all the time and I've heard he's cool with it but it still feels...odd. But I'm going to do it for my friends who have begged me to do this. So, for Halloween, (close to it), I'm going to go, take a photo, feel extremely stupid for taking a photo of someone's house when I'm not a real estate agent, hope I'm not bothering anyone and then send the photo to my friends and we can hopefully move on.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-15-2011 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 12:56 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Mark S - Stephen was not in a horrific accident because he was driving. He was walking and was hit from behind.
The driver of the van was distracted by his dog. He actually passed away a few years ago.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, that's what he said.

Seriously though, I do really want to read it! Not sure why I haven't taken the plunge yet, but it's waiting patiently on my shelf... maybe when I finish my current book (Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill) I'll finally go for it.
You know who Joe Hill's dad is, right? (Stephen King!)

I enjoyed Heart-Shaped Box. I also recommend his book Horns.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
He has a new one coming out in early November.Amazon.com: 11/22/63: A Novel (9781451627282): Stephen King: Books . I have it on hold at the library. I don't usually care for this type of book, but, I read all of his books. I didn't care for most of them, but, he is an incredible storyteller.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Dark Tower series
The Stand

Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM

162 posts, read 458,787 times
I agree with a lot of what's already been said. I used to be a huge fan of King back in the day, but haven't read his more recent stuff (pre-2000) yet. I think Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining and Dead Zone are definitely staples when starting to read King. And if you can do lengthy, The Stand.

I do not have a favourite because it's impossible for me to choose.

But I think one book I will never forget would have to be IT. I was younger, yes, but to me, the premise of the story embodied scary. I have read that one several times and I also thought the miniseries was decent.

Bag of Bones is another really good one from his later works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books