Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes, it's going to be a miniseries on the A&E network.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Usually I'm disappointed by movie versions of books too, but I have been pretty satisfied with many of the movies made from his books. I totally agree about "Misery," Kathy Bates was just phenomenal in that movie. I enjoyed all of these: "Shawshank Redemption," "Stand by Me," "Apt Pupil," "The Dead Zone," "Dolores Claiborne," "Secret Window" and "The Green Mile." I did not like "The Shining," (I know, I'm probably the only one) although I thought the remake for TV was pretty good. There are others I liked as well, but it's been so long since I read them that I don't recall how I felt about them as compared to the book/short story.
Oh yah! "Shawshank Redemption" was also another great adaptation. I don't think it was called that in the book, though, right? Anyway, you are right, I had forgotten about that one but they did good with that movie as well.

"The Green Mile" wasn't too bad, I still liked the book better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I am reading Bag of Bones. I am on the 3rd chapter. Has anybody read it? I think it's getting kind of slow. I hope it gets better
I had the same reaction the first time I read it. It begins really SLOOOOW. But once it gets going, I couldn't put it down. I think I read the whole thing in 2 days, and I'm a painfully slow reader.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,160 times
I am surprised that no one mentioned that SK tied the dark tower into about 20 of his books. From Father Callahan in Salem's lot, to some characters in the Talisman, to the black house, to The Stand. Amazing amazing books.

Now for my favorites.... The Stand has to be one of the best novels I have ever read. The Good Vs. Evil, the characters interaction, the amazing ability to make you feel like you are right there every step of the way. Wow.

Salems Lot. An amazing book that will literally scare the crap out of you lol. No twinkling vampires here. (twilight reference )

Ahhhh crap, I love em all lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I'm re-reading IT now. Good story, but man did it need an editor. A fierce editor with a mighty red pen. The characters are great, but did we really need an entire page describing the contents of a character's medicine cabinet? And I'm not talking about a paperback pages. I'm reading this in hardcover with single-spaced, fairly small font. And it's an entire page of medicinal descriptions.

Definitely a good book, but IT could have easily been half as long --- and probably been a better story for it.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 AM

363 posts, read 583,219 times
This thread title caught my attention and I told myself "That's an easy question. The Stand by far is King's best and my most favorite". However, after reading this entire thread and everyone else's input, your favorties are my favorites, too. Can't pick just one.

Salem's Lot - scared the living daylights out of me.

The Stand- Wow!! Wow!!! and Wow, again!!! Truly disliked the miniseries.

The Green Mile - both the book and movie are great, though the book gives much more detail than the movie. Same with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption...great book, good movie.

The Eyes of the Dragon, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Nightshift is full of surprises: Battleground, The Ledge (makes me shiver just typing those words), Trucks, Quitters, Inc.

The Dark Tower series - such an epic work but I will never, ever forgive King for the way it ended.

Just got 11/22/63 but haven't cracked the cover yet. As someone else said, I, too, am a painfully slow reader...so much to read, so little time.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM

371 posts, read 894,455 times
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Christine. (unless I missed it) I felt uncomfortable around cars for weeks after the first time I read it.

My all time favorite of his is The Shining.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Christine. (unless I missed it) I felt uncomfortable around cars for weeks after the first time I read it.

My all time favorite of his is The Shining.
I named my first car Christine (in honor of the one in the book).

Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
IT: Scary, depressing, amazing character development. It's a long book but completely worth it.

The Stand: Again, a very long book but awesome character development and plot/subplots.

On Writing: I enjoyed hearing King in his "natural voice". He has a lot of good tips on writing too.

Pet Semetary: I'd rank this as his most depressing, misanthropic story that I've read. Very sad but a great read.

The Shining: It's a great book though I wish I had read it before I saw the movie with Jack Nicholson. Kind of ruined the book for me.

Carrie: He really captures the Queen Bee mentality of high school girls in this story. King said his wife Tabitha helped him with the girls' character development. As someone else said, it's a sad story but an interesting read.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Cujo
Gerald's Game
Blaze, writing as Richard Bachman
Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne are great companion pieces. I love the strong women characters King writes!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
'Salem's Lot' was my first one too and after reading it, it scared me so bad my husband was out of town and I had every light in the house on at night.

I liked 'Cujo' ... the movie didn't do justice to the dog. The book was able to convey what the dog was thinking. 'The Stand' was great and I liked 'Christine' and 'Pet Sematary' ... then when he wrote 'The Green Mile' the book was released in continuing editions one a month in 1996. That was the first time he put out a book like that. I couldn't wait for the next one to get in the stores.
I'll have to read Cujo. That's one I never got around to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books