Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 AM

840 posts, read 781,074 times

Advertisements

So? How many? I would guesstimate around 100-150 books. Not 100% sure. I do know I added quite a few last fall. Mostly historical books,some fiction. All of Vince Flynn's books. I like to read very non pc books.Just a strange strain I have in me to be different. I love military books as well mostly biographies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times
I am in the process of trying to downsize my collection. I would say I am down to about 200 from a good 500. The process is painful but the idea that someone is actually reading them eases my trauma!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM

840 posts, read 781,074 times
Wow. That is a lot! I have a small 3 shelf book shelf and its not full yet because most of my books are packed up in a container. Wife hates me getting more books but I love them. Last book I bought was the latest Vince Flynn Novel. I even have multiples of some books I deem really good.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I think more than a thousand.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think more than a thousand.
COOL!

I'm somewhere in the 300 range, if I had a bigger house and a bigger budget I'd have more! I'm not into the e-book stuff. I've been buying books for over four decades. I moderate pro and college football on City Data, so obviously I'm staying on top of new releases regarding this subject. I also enjoy biographies (particularly musicians of all musical genres from the 40's on up to current day) and also American history, particularly the settling of the west after the civil war.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I have over 1000. I have bookcases in nearly every room and some in the garage, too. I need to purge some of the books because I will never read them again. I try to do this every 6 months or so. I clean them out and donate them to Goodwill.

I have very little will power when it comes to books. If it looks or sounds good I order it. I'm in over my head right now because I have around 25-30 that I have not read yet.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have over 1000. I have bookcases in nearly every room and some in the garage, too. I need to purge some of the books because I will never read them again. I try to do this every 6 months or so. I clean them out and donate them to Goodwill.

I have very little will power when it comes to books. If it looks or sounds good I order it. I'm in over my head right now because I have around 25-30 that I have not read yet.
Me too. But is that really a character flaw? :-) I gave away at least 500 books the last two years, books I know I will never read again. Hubby's office and my office are also libraries, in the sense of bookshelves on every wall. Then I have two bookcases in the living room. I try and keep those looking 'normal.,' as opposed to hoardishly full. Then there are all the boxes of books. I'm afraid to count them. Potentially there could be two thousand but hubby was a professor and so therefore a lot of his books are books related to his career. He's already given many away and at some point, when he passes, I'll be donating most of the others to a university. A few universities have already approached us on that.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
I had over 3000 books at one point but downsized ( gave lots to charity) and now it is more like 2000 or so , most of it in the attic as I live in a small cottage. Hubby constantly moans that one day the ceiling will fall on us because of the weight. I find it hard to resist books. It is my one weakness !

Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Me too. But is that really a character flaw? :-) I gave away at least 500 books the last two years, books I know I will never read again. Hubby's office and my office are also libraries, in the sense of bookshelves on every wall. Then I have two bookcases in the living room. I try and keep those looking 'normal.,' as opposed to hoardishly full. Then there are all the boxes of books. I'm afraid to count them. Potentially there could be two thousand but hubby was a professor and so therefore a lot of his books are books related to his career. He's already given many away and at some point, when he passes, I'll be donating most of the others to a university. A few universities have already approached us on that.
Nope, not a character flaw, netwit.

At least we pass them on. I've heard people say that they throw away books. I'm a firm believer that books should have long lives with frequent readings. I have a few that I read every year because they make me feel good. They might not be happy books but perhaps they settle me or bring on good feelings. They are special to me and I love them. I won't even loan those special ones out to anyone.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I had over 3000 books at one point but downsized ( gave lots to charity) and now it is more like 2000 or so , most of it in the attic as I live in a small cottage. Hubby constantly moans that one day the ceiling will fall on us because of the weight. I find it hard to resist books. It is my one weakness !
If you are going to have a weakness then you have the best one possible. So do I. Wow, I'd love to crawl around in your attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books