Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Joan of Arc. I read several, and my favorite is the semi-biographical by Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I thoroughly enjoyed Chuck Yeagers biography a few years ago. the man did just about everything he wanted to do in his fast and dangerous life..

Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
The Lady Queen: The Notorious Reign of Joanna I, Queen of Naples, Jerusalem, and Sicily by Nancy Goldstone
and
The Tigress of Forl: Renaissance Italy's Most Courageous and Notorious Countess, Caterina Riario Sforza de' Medici by Elizabeth Lev
Great biographies of two fascinating women who lived in the 14th and 16th centuries respectively, a time when even aristocratic and educated women were expected to be little more than breeding partners. These women ruled their lands independently (albeit with the assistance of various husbands), raised their families, were financially successfuly and saw off their enemies (mostly). I believe Caterina even managed to outlive her most implacable rival, Cesare Borgia.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 AM

531 posts, read 501,285 times
Attila Ambrus

Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
My favorite so far is an autobiography by Harpo Marx, titled, "Harpo Speaks." It was a fascinating book about Harpo (given name was Adolph) and his brothers, born in the late 1800s and raised in a dirt-poor family in NYC. Their father was an inept tailor who couldn't make enough money to feed the family, so the 5 sons had to scrap and steal their way through childhood. Behind them all was a devoted mother who was determined from the start to push her boys to learn music and acting so that they could one day be rich and famous. The journey of this family is fascinating, and Harpo's writing style is captivating. Great sense of humor, of course, but it is also poignant and sensitive.

Even if you're not a big Marx Brothers fan, as I am, I highly recommend this fascinating autobiography.

I LOVE that book!

I'm a HUGE Marx Brothers fan and Harpo has been my favorite since I discovered their films in high school.

He had a fascinating life. But, more important, he writes with such warmth and love for his wife, family and friends. He must have been a wonderful man.

"Love me and the world is mine."

(We need a Gookie emoticon. )

Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
"Fatal Passage" the story of John Rae, one of the greatest Arctic Explorers of all time and completely forgotten because of being vilified in the press by Charles Dickens and the Widow of Franklin. Utterly fascinating life he had and he was the first white person to find the fate of the ill fated Franklin expedition. He found out that some members of the expedition had resorted to cannibalism and was crucified for exposing this fact to the world. A real travesty of Justice.

The man was a real force of Nature and went "Native" realising Native people had wisdom and knowledge which could not be ignored in such an unforgiving environment.

Fatal Passage: The True Story of John Rae, the Arctic Hero Time Forgot: Amazon.co.uk: Ken McGoogan: Books

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
It's not really a biography but "The letters of Gustave Flaubert, vol 1 + 2". I read them in the library when I as a kid, what he had to say about his craft just really fascinated me.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder tells the story of Dr. Paul Farmer and his struggles to establish local TB Clinics in Haiti then Peru and Russia. I love Kidder's writing and Farmer makes a larger than life impact on profoundly underserved areas of the world.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Good Old Boy: A Delta Boyhood by Willie Morris. It's written for young readers, and I read it when I was in grade school ... but it's still one of the most entertaining books I've ever read.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
The most interesting was American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer.

The person I actually liked whose biography I most enjoyed reading was:
Damn Yankee: The Billy Martin Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books