Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,949,905 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy this forum - less time consuming and wordy than "Good Reads", but full of insightful comments from regulars and fresh voices.

One of my recent favorite books, Rules of Civility, I purchased immediately after reading such positive comments in a thread on this site. I took the recommendation as seriously as if it had come from a good friend.

What are some books or authors that you have "met" because of this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,091,221 times
I loved Rules of Civility! But I probably told you that already.

You asked such a good question. I "discovered" so many great books and authors through the people on this forum. From you, in particular, I learned of (and loved) Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. Thank you again!

As for others? My gosh, I'm 47 years old, it's almost 9.00 PM, and I've been awake since 5.00 AM... you can't possibly expect me to remember another, can you?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,358,671 times
I'm sure there's more, but Come, Thou Tortoise and Auschwitz are the most recent that come to mind. I was also encouraged to read The Book Thief even though I had, but couldn't decide if I thought I'd like it or not. Can't thank Dawn enough for telling me to read it as I absolutely loved it!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,949,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I loved Rules of Civility! But I probably told you that already.

You asked such a good question. I "discovered" so many great books and authors through the people on this forum. From you, in particular, I learned of (and loved) Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. Thank you again!

As for others? My gosh, I'm 47 years old, it's almost 9.00 PM, and I've been awake since 5.00 AM... you can't possibly expect me to remember another, can you?
I'm still so happy that you liked Ella as much as I did. I debated choosing it for my book club selection, but deferred as I didn't want to break my streak (of 1) of people who were as delighted about it as I was!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm still so happy that you liked Ella as much as I did. I debated choosing it for my book club selection, but deferred as I didn't want to break my streak (of 1) of people who were as delighted about it as I was!
HAHAHAHA!! I know what you mean. And the sheer disappointment when someone says that they "just couldn't get into it," and you want to BEG them to try again, but know that you'll just be further hurt.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,689,513 times
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea.

This book has haunted me for two weeks now. It is the BEST recommendation I have received (and I've received a lot of good recommendations here)

Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea.

This book has haunted me for two weeks now. It is the BEST recommendation I have received (and I've received a lot of good recommendations here)
Oh my gosh, that sounds EXCELLENT!

So, now, thank YOU for the recommendation.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,722 times
I was recently reffered to a book called "The Power Curve" by scott kyle and would definitely recommend it! He shows you how to hedge risk in your portfolio through the use of strong dividend paying stocks and the calculated use of options to generate additional income. Much more interesting read than those motley fool books IMO.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,936,819 times
Come, Thou Tortoise
Olive Kitteridge
Cloud Atlas

Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,745,896 times
Come, Thou Tortoise
Olive Kitteridge (which led me to Amy and Isabelle)
Rules of Civility
a re-read of Little Women
The Time Traveler’s Wife
The Book Thief
The Reader
The Sookie Stackhouse series

I'm sure there are more, but these are all that come to mind right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books