Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

I often find it disappointing to suddenly read a book that is dreadful, by an author that I previously had so much respect for.

John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie" it my classic example. One of the greatest novelists in the history of the USA, writing a POS that was worse than Heat Moon's "Blue Highways".

I might have to try Cormac McCarthy's "All the Pretty Horses" again, the first try, i just gave up after about ten pages, after putting "Blood Meridian" on my all-time short list..

A few more disasppointments would be:
Zadie Smith, "The Autograph Man"
David Mitchell, "Black Swan Green"
Peter Carey , "The Chemistry of Tears"
Kazuo Ishiguro "Remains of the Day"

What are your examples of books you hated by authors you loved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
I like Dennis Lehane a lot. I hated Shutter Island.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,027,215 times
"A Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling

(Awful, IMHO...sorry those of you who liked it.)

Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,067,332 times
I have read all of Nelson DeMille and was excited to take out the newest "The Quest" today. Well, I hate it. Am not even past the 35th page and I have quit.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but some of his books have been misses for me... I've given up on a few over the years, like The Dark Half, From a Buick 8, and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Maybe I should have plodded on a bit longer, since I know his books sometimes take a while to gather steam - but those just didn't convince me to keep going!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but some of his books have been misses for me... I've given up on a few over the years, like The Dark Half, From a Buick 8, and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Maybe I should have plodded on a bit longer, since I know his books sometimes take a while to gather steam - but those just didn't convince me to keep going!
I made it through each of those with no problems. "Tom Gordon" was a bit strange, but I did enjoy it for what it was.

For me, the Stephen King book that I really hate is The Dome. I will not ever read this book again.

I thought the whole plot was childish and just plain stupid. Reminded me of being 7 years old again - with destructive older brothers!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I made it through each of those with no problems. "Tom Gordon" was a bit strange, but I did enjoy it for what it was.
It may have just been bad timing, since I'm pretty sure I tried all of those while in college... and you know, there are a lot of distractions when you're a college student.

Maybe I'll give them another shot, but I have many more books to read first!

Quote:
For me, the Stephen King book that I really hate is The Dome. I will not ever read this book again.

I thought the whole plot was childish and just plain stupid. Reminded me of being 7 years old again - with destructive older brothers!
I just recently downloaded that to my iPad, mostly because I wanted to read it before the TV show started. Of course that didn't happen, and now that I'm into the show, I might not want to read the book after all... especially now that I've heard your opinion on it, lol.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I have read all of Nelson DeMille and was excited to take out the newest "The Quest" today. Well, I hate it. Am not even past the 35th page and I have quit.
Loved DeMille and all of his past books. That said...my husband and I have all of the John Corey books and while reading The Panther, if I could've reached thru the pages and smacked DeMille, I would have happily done so. John Corey was a funny wise-ass. He's turned into a really obnoxious jerk.
I won't be reading The Quest, unless someone gives it to me.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but some of his books have been misses for me... I've given up on a few over the years...
Try King's 11/2/63...one of his best. I couldn't put it down.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
I loved Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible and Animal Dreams but had to donate The Lacuna, (received as a gift) to my public library, it was so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books