Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It may have just been bad timing, since I'm pretty sure I tried all of those while in college... and you know, there are a lot of distractions when you're a college student.

Maybe I'll give them another shot, but I have many more books to read first!

I just recently downloaded that to my iPad, mostly because I wanted to read it before the TV show started. Of course that didn't happen, and now that I'm into the show, I might not want to read the book after all... especially now that I've heard your opinion on it, lol.
Don't take my word on this one!

I've read too many reviews where people loved the book.

I don't have any problems with blood and gore. However, senseless killings just never work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Try King's 11/22/63...one of his best. I couldn't put it down.
(I fixed the date in your quote.)

This is an excellent book. I got this for Christmas and nothing much got done around the house until I finished that book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Loved DeMille and all of his past books. That said...my husband and I have all of the John Corey books and while reading The Panther, if I could've reached thru the pages and smacked DeMille, I would have happily done so. John Corey was a funny wise-ass. He's turned into a really obnoxious jerk.
I won't be reading The Quest, unless someone gives it to me.
Anne: Yes I agree. The Panther was another flop. Why do writers who have a great character going in a series of books suddenly decide to start something entirely new and then ultimately let down all their reader fans? I am awaiting the Lee Child book from the library and am hoping its not a disappointment as was "The Quest". Actually any book about seeking the Holy Grail has been done a zillion times, so why did he bother??

Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
I have read many of Stephen King's books but certainly not all. He's a neighbor of mine. The ones I didn't care for were "Gerald's Game" which I didn't bother to finish and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" which was kind of boring to me. I did like "11/22/63" very much. The first book of his I read was Dead Zone. I have never read Carrie, which was actually the book that got him his start.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
I love most of Morgan Llywelyn's books. She writes great ancient historical fiction, stories that take place in ancient Ireland, ancient Celtic Europe, and in the ancient Mediterranean. But her one book, Etruscans, was heroic-fantasy drivel, complete with cheesy cover art with a big-boobed woman and overly-muscled man. I think someone must have been blackmailing her, to put her name on it.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:53 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I have read many of Stephen King's books but certainly not all. He's a neighbor of mine. The ones I didn't care for were "Gerald's Game" which I didn't bother to finish and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" which was kind of boring to me. I did like "11/22/63" very much. The first book of his I read was Dead Zone. I have never read Carrie, which was actually the book that got him his start.
Gerald's Game is another that I don't like. I don't hate it like I do The Dome, but it is one I will never read again. (Even though a copy does sit on my bookshelf.)

My copy of The Stand has seen better days, but I will never part with it - the long version, in hardback. But this is for another post.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:31 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I love most of Morgan Llywelyn's books. She writes great ancient historical fiction, stories that take place in ancient Ireland, ancient Celtic Europe, and in the ancient Mediterranean. But her one book, Etruscans, was heroic-fantasy drivel, complete with cheesy cover art with a big-boobed woman and overly-muscled man. I think someone must have been blackmailing her, to put her name on it.
Authors have 0 say on the content of book covers. Sometimes a magnanimous editor may ask the author for suggestions, but they are suggestions only. Even big hitters like Stephen King or Tom Clancy don't get a say in what goes on the cover.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 AM

398 posts, read 698,751 times
This is probably for a future thread titled "series gone sour" or something, but the historical-fantasy "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon just went wrong for me after only 2/3 books. My theory is that sometimes a series author will take fan feedback the wrong way and develop things that shouldn't be developed, while avoiding those that should.

I'm glad someone likes Morgan Llewellyn, I have her book "Elementals" and also "Druids" sitting on my shelf for years, and needed someone to give it a + before I gave it a go! Also a huge fan of Anne Rice, there was something not quite right about her 3rd vampire book in the series "Queen of the Damned." There are problems with the 4th but still more engaging than the previous hiccup.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times
I read Philippa Gregory on and off, as a whole I like her books however The Wise Woman was something else altogether, it has some very sinister undertones and even gave me nightmares. Now before I buy I check more carefully on the content of her books.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post

I'm glad someone likes Morgan Llewellyn, I have her book "Elementals" and also "Druids" sitting on my shelf for years, and needed someone to give it a + before I gave it a go!

Loved Druids, the Greener Shore, Bard (her best, hands-down), Brendan, the Elementals (actually short stories that fit together). I'm not into more recent Irish history, so I skipped all the ones about the 19th and 20th century Ireland. I love her ancient stuff! I had thought Etruscans would be a meticulously-researched true-to-history story like her others. But, not so much. "After Rome" was so-so. It's her most recent, and she's getting pretty old; so she must be winding down.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Interesting thread topic.

John Updike is probably my favorite author, but I didn't think The Witches of Eastwick stood up to his standard.

The same is true of Joseph Heller and Good as Gold or Something Happened. I saw or heard him being interviewed and he was asked if it bothered him that he never wrote anything as good as Catch-22, and his reply was something like, "Yeah, but who has?" I really couldn't argue with that.

I don't think Amsterdam lives up to the rest of Ian McEwan's work. I always thought they gave him the Booker for it because they felt guilty to neglect some of his better books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books