Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:30 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I'm up for anything, though!
I'm going to recommend different things, as it tickles me pink when folks are up for anything. Only caveat is that I don't have a Kindle, so I don't know if these particular books are available in e-format. They're all pretty long, though.

Hawaii - James Michener
Sarum - Edward Rutherfurd

Heck, depending on where you're going, Michener or Rutherfurd might have written a saga about it.

The Duchess of Milan - Michael Innis

The Witching Hour - Anne Rice

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

The Wolf and the Dove - Katheleen Woodiwiss (yes, it's a romance, and one written in the 70s to boot, but I loved the detail about the Norman conquest)

If you're into Arthurian legend:

The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country - Rosalind Miles (first of a trilogy I couldn't put down)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
Quote:
But Australia is calling!
Since Australia is calling, you should look into Colleen McCullough. I know some (if not all?) of hers are set in Australia.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Not sure if I understand the parameters. You're going to read one fiction book in your life, and you have 15 hours to finish it, is that it?

I'd say Gunter Grass' "The Tin Drum", which is hilarious for the first hundred pages or so, but it won't really matter if you finish it or not.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 PM

220 posts, read 283,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not sure if I understand the parameters. You're going to read one fiction book in your life, and you have 15 hours to finish it, is that it?

I'd say Gunter Grass' "The Tin Drum", which is hilarious for the first hundred pages or so, but it won't really matter if you finish it or not.
Hi, jtur88:

What I want is a good book to read that will keep me entertained. I can finish it in more than 15 hours, and it can be fiction or nonfiction. I mainly read nonfiction and many of the books are very interesting but not always the most exciting and might be hard to keep my interest for the long flight. So I am just looking for recommendations of entertaining or captivating books to read on my trip.

I really appreciate your recommendation, though! Thank you!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 PM

220 posts, read 283,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
For starters, let me point out that A Song of Ice and Fire is very different to Harry Potter. It's violent, profane, dark, and heavy. Harry Potter is written for young adults and good always triumphs over bad in the end, ASOIAF is brutal and dark even for some fully grown adults and the lines between good and bad are constantly blurred. Apart from being classed as fantasy and containing classic fantasy elements like dragons, they are nothing alike. Of course, that doesn't mean one can't appreciate both, just saying that you shouldn't pick up Game of Thrones and expect it to be like Harry Potter.

If you like adult fantasy which isn't quite as profane as ASOIAF, consider Lord of the Rings. If you like young adult fantasy, I recommend the series His Dark Materials, the first book was made into a movie.

Whatever you do, don't read Michael Critchon's Airframe. Although Critchon's other books might be good for consideration.
Thanks for the info! I have read some of the reviews of A Song of Ice and Fire and saw that it is pretty dark. I think I am just interested in reading a series, and I know a lot of people who really enjoy this one, not to mention all the people who like the tv show, as well. The funny thing is, I don't really know if I'm a fantasy person, I just like good stories.

I think that's good advice about Airframe!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I know I have recommended these before but here goes
-Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.Actually anything by Dan Ariely. It's extremely intriguing- behavioral economics but he has such a nice way of conveying it. It's totally entertaining at least to me.
Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions: Dan Ariely: 9780061353246: Amazon.com: Books
Quote:
Mayvenne-I have Predictably Irrational on my "to read" list and had recommended it to my husband in the past when he was looking for a book. He enjoyed it and I am sure I would, too.
I enjoyed both Predictably Irrational & the prequel, The Upside of Irrationality.

Malcolm Gladwell & Oliver Sacks are two of my favorite authors, as they turn science into engaging narratives-but I don't want to detract from the OP's request for fiction books.
However, I would say any of these authors' works could be easily completed in 15 hours or less, and their books are written in style that one would call "page-turners".

Though I haven't read it-yet-and I've posted about it in another thread-
there's also the new Stephen King novel that's just been published, "Joyland".
As a fan of his work, for me it's a guaranteed "good (and quick) read".

Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
These are among my all-time favorites. Each is intelligently written, with a gripping plot.

As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
A Guilty Thing Surprised by Ruth Rendell
Canada by Richard Ford
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books