Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM

183 posts, read 295,340 times

Advertisements

being a librarian and going through private and public collections couple of times a month I have never seen it go the other way
how a library stays open well the institution itself became redundant with the advent of the internet how ever we adapt digital libraries access to scannable material is far easier for an established library than an another archiver and since the place I work in does not give books (photocopies are not a problem though) those who want to check the collection comes to our reader library
I searched the forum I believe there is not a quote thread
All observers are cowards some more so than others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 AM

415 posts, read 599,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you are for real, OP, you should know that the books are the property of the city or town if it is a public library. There isn't much funding, the library workers don't get paid very well, and the books were bought on a shoestring budget with the needs of the local citizens in mind. When the books become too damaged or outdated, they are disposed of--often by getting a little bit of money for them to plunge back into the library.

Why are the books stamped? and barcoded? Stamped to avoid stealing and to determine what library they belong to. Sometimes there's even a "secret page" in which they stamp a book, the same page in every book in that library. Too bad if a library stamp decreases the book's value--that's not the reason the library HAS the books. It has the books so that people can READ them. Barcoded for cataloging purposes mainly, to organize and keep track of them for the people who READ them.

If the library decides, once the usefulness of the book has greatly diminished, to sell the book for a small price, it's their right because they OWN the book. Money was given to the library to BUY books for people to READ.

The mission of the library books is to serve the public. They have been stamped and barcoded due to their mission. Yes, it decreases the value if someone wants to sell them after they have been de-accessioned, but by then they have served their major purpose and selling them is one alternative to just throwing them out. At least the library gets a little bit of money back on them and can buy new items. If the library didn't make a little bit of money selling old books, people like YOU might have to pay higher taxes to fund the library.
I understand the point of the library is for people to read them. However, the library is well aware they are going to sell the books in the future. They must be aware that all the stamping and tagging is going to diminish a book's value. So why don't they come up with a system that decreases all the tagging and markings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, this guy has GOT to be a troll.

My troll-ometer is as bad as my gaydar.
Dude, if you don't like the thread then just leave it. It's not my fault you got mad over it.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,405 times
They stamp the books to keep crooks like you from ripping them off, thus increasing their expenses.

Let's say we accept your argument it is wrong for a government agency to sell surplus items. What gives you the right to take them and sell them above anyone else? By selling them, they are getting money back, thus decreasing their need for more tax money. If you steal from them, they have to get more of your tax money.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM

218 posts, read 544,218 times
....@ the OP - Desperately seeking attn aren't you?

You should find a girlfriend or perhaps a job that will keep you busy.

Resorting to stealing and reselling? That's kinda sad. I really feel kind of sorry for you.

Especially since this is what you do all day - bait and steal.....and hide behind a computer.

Dare you to out yourself to the library and to LEOs. Probably don't have the guts b/c your argument holds no water whatsoever.

:P....You're laughable. That's really all it amounts to....*smh*

And to add - perhaps a moderator should BAN you since you're advocating THEFT and admitting to it as well?

Hey Mod - where are you!?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM

243 posts, read 452,485 times
OP, you could look at it another way too....

I'm a heavy library user, and by borrowing books instead of buying them new, it saves me thousands of dollars a year. If a small portion of my taxes go to the library (it can't be much in the end) to keep them running, then I am more than glad to do it. If I were to borrow CD's and videos, my savings would be higher.

How much has the library saved you? I mean, you were at the library for something, so you obviously use their services.

Libraries have a duty to tax payers to protect their investment. Stickers and bar codes are how they prevent theft and keep track of their items. Without them -- or if they were easily removed -- libraries would would see increased losses. I'm sure you would be p*ssed if you found out you were paying for something, only to have it stolen (*light bulb moment*). I also don't want to go back to the card catalog system...I like being able to electronically see a book's status and reserve it from my computer. I like that, if I want to, I can check out books without waiting in line for a librarian by scanning it myself. If you don't like the stickers on used library books, then don't buy (or in your case, steal) them.

Of course your taxes go to building maintenance, utilities, and librarian pay as well, but let's not also forget that libraries are more than books:

They provide free computer and internet use.
Librarians help with research.
Children and adults participate in reading programs and book discussions.
The unemployed can get help in a job search.
They preserve and collect items about local history and genealogy.
Libraries provide access to newspapers and journals, allowing anyone to stay informed of current events.
They maintain collections of out of print and rare books.
Some have wonderful map rooms.
It provides a quiet, comfortable place for study.
They maintain community event boards.
Free homework help and tutoring.
In my community (and we can't be the only ones), it serves as a venue for the middle school drama club to perform for the town.
*And finally....People can pick up tax forms and get help completing them *

By stealing the books, you took away money that would go towards these services. Your reasons for doing so are short sighted and selfish.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Isn't the practice of county, state and federal government agencies selling their surplus items at auctions the same thing? And yet few would pass up the opportunity to purchase a gently used vehicle or piece of needed office equipment or furniture at a great price. The taxpayer paid for these things and yet one sole bidder will reap the benefit through his successful bid, not the masses of citizens who helped pay for the fleet car, the copier, the computer or whatever. Think about that.
Actually, one sole bidder doesn't reap the benefit. The benefit was in the many people who used the items, and the many people who benefited because the items were used by public servants. The benefit continues because the item is sold, and the profit from the sale goes back to the public coffers, helping to offset the costs of replacement items and helping to keep taxes low.

The OP is a thief. He took property that belonged to the community at large, without permission, and then tried to "fence" those items for his own personal profit.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
I understand the point of the library is for people to read them. However, the library is well aware they are going to sell the books in the future. They must be aware that all the stamping and tagging is going to diminish a book's value. So why don't they come up with a system that decreases all the tagging and markings?

Dude, if you don't like the thread then just leave it. It's not my fault you got mad over it.
Some of us don't purchase books with an eye to their resale value. Some of us value books because we value great stories and adventures, thought-provoking essays, and the excitement of learning something new. We don't even mind when someone has marked something in the margins, because it indicates that another reader found something noteworthy.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM

260 posts, read 908,891 times
The funny thing is that the OP could have gotten the stickers off much cheaper than buying un-du and removed the ink stamps if he knew how and it can be done. By time he bought the un du, spent the time removing stickers then going to a used book store to sell what he could sell for $25. Add gas, wear and tear on the car and he was lucky to break even. Not to mention the taxes he paid on the gas and the un du. And I saw un du online at a few drug stores and it was $15. If he paid that he lost money and paid more taxes.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
I didn't know they sold that stuff. But they don't have anymore right to sell that stuff than library books. That's all I'm saying.
Yep, they do have that right.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Many of those books may not have originated in the library stock of books (at least at our library). They have a sale 2x a year where people DONATE books specifically for the purpose of the sale, knowing the library will be selling those and earning money for extras that the taxes do not cover. The club that runs it is called friends of the library and they fund those extras through their club.
BTW: many used book sellers (if you are trying to sell to them) will not accept books that are from libraries UNLESS it has the "discarded by" stamp in it. Otherwise they are selling hot goods. Yes, technically they are not in "primo" condition then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books