Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 PM

415 posts, read 599,996 times

Advertisements

At most of my local libraries, they have places where they sell books. At some libraries it's in a separate room. Other libraries merely have a small section with two bookshelves near the front entrance. A while back, I was at a library where they have a section with two bookshelves. I took a whole bunch of books without paying for it. Some lady noticed this and, as I was leaving, she said to me, "Do you know you're supposed to pay for those books?"

"What?" I asked. "Do you work for the library?"

"I used to," she replied. "The library is selling those books. They aren't for free. If you're going to take them, I suggest you buy them."

"The citizens already pay for library books with their taxes. My taxes pay for libraries to operate, it pays the salary librarians have, and it pays the books libraries buy. Don't you think libraries have a lot of gall to expect the public to pay for books their taxes already paid for?"

She looked at me surprised. She couldn't say anything. She tried to stammer but nothing intelligible came out. I said, "Why don't you ponder what I said before getting high and mighty next time?" Then I turned on my heel and walked away.

Later on, I bought un-du, the library sticker remover. I was able to get rid of most of the library stickers without a problem. Then I tried selling them to a used bookstore. But they couldn't take half the books. The ones they couldn't take had stickers inside them saying, "Former property of Dallas County Library". The guy at the used bookstore said, "These are good books. They are in excellent shape. I can't take them with all these markings inside of them though. It completely ruins their value. If they were without the markings, I would have been able to give you about $60. But since I can only take half I can only give you $25."

What a waste!

Here's my thing: the U.S. gov't uses my tax money to pay for libraries. Even if I never set foot in one my taxes will be used for them. Then the gov't tries to sell these books back to the public. Don't you think the gov't has a lot of gall to try selling to the people books their taxes already paid for? Secondly, the books they sell are ruined with all the stickers and markings all over them. Why do they need all these stupid stickers and markings all over library books?

The U.S. gov't has the ability to send millions of troops from around the world to the Middle East with the proper food, shelter, medical supplies, and state of the art technology within a week. But they can't figure out a library system that doesn't involve ugly markings and stickers all over their books?

If they're going to sell books back to the public, they should at least sell books that have resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
You might want to read up on how local libraries are funded if you really think that they're raking in federal tax dollars.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You might want to read up on how local libraries are funded if you really think that they're raking in federal tax dollars.
You may wanna look up how libraries are funded. The are funded by citizens.

Public library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM

243 posts, read 452,854 times
So you stole books, and now you're complaining that you couldn't sell them for profit?

Quote:
Why do they need all these stupid stickers and markings all over library books?
To keep people like you from ripping them off!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
So you're admitting you're a thief and tried to sell stolen property.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
i have no problem supporting a library thru one of their sales of old books/etc.... to me seems no different then buying various candy, mags, popcorn from school age kids for their band/team/group. Funding is down in many areas, and if we want the most that can be offered to us sometimes that means a little extra needs to be done regardless if the entity begins with tax dollars.
I would have acted differently then the OP, but that's just my .02

Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
Do you know that you can borrow the exact same books elsewhere in the library?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 AM

498 posts, read 978,339 times
It doesn't matter who paid for a library's books, they still belong to the library.

If that library replaced all of it's computers with more modern machines and decided to auction off the old ones, should you have the right to just take a few of the old computers without paying for them? They were bought with tax money after all.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
You may wanna look up how libraries are funded. The are funded by citizens.

Public library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did you actually read the link you posted?

Quote:
Private philanthropy has also had a significant role in the expansion and transformation of library services, and, like other educational institutions, some libraries may be partially funded by an endowment. Some proactive librarians have devised alliances with patron and civic groups to supplement their financial situations. Library "friends" groups, activist boards, and well organized book sales also supplement government funding. Public funding has always been an important part of the definition of a public library. However, with local governments facing financial pressures due to the Great Recession, some libraries have explored ways supplement public funding. Cafes, bakeries, bookstores, gift shops and similar commercial endeavors are common features of new and urban libraries. For example, the Boston Public Library has two restaurants and an online store which features reproductions of photographs and artwork.[16] Pressure on funding has also led to closer partnerships between libraries, and between libraries and for-profit ventures, in order to sustain the library as a public space while providing business opportunities to the community.[
Anyway, that's besides the point - that's like you stealing street signs, park benches, plants or trees from public spaces, someone's Bridge card or welfare check - all things all or in part paid for by taxes. Doesn't mean they're yours for the taking.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM

How am I stealing library books if my taxes already paid for them? It does mean they are mine for the taking.

chiroptera, your link says private philanthropy has a significant role in the expansion of libraries. It does not have the only role. Where do you think most of the money for library funding comes from? Gov't taxes. I don't know how anyone can refute this. I never said it was only gov't taxes. It is mainly gov't taxes that libraries live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books