Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A Roman Catholic school board in Ontario ordered the popular fantasy book "The Golden Compass" taken off library shelves at dozens of schools Thursday after receiving a complaint about the author referring to himself as an atheist.

Similar concerns prompted a Catholic organization in the U.S. to urge parents to boycott a movie version of the book starring Nicole Kidman.

Ontario School Board Bans Fantasy Book (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/11/22/international/i145051S34.DTL - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 06:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
didn't these books come out almost 20 years ago? and this school is just now removing the books? I know the movie is coming out soon and everything, but these books, while not Narnia/LOTR popular, haven't been under the radar, esp. considering the topic. figured they would have acted sooner (OMG, think of the whole generation of good Catholic children whose minds have been warped and twisted and perverted by this book! ah, the horror!)

I wonder if this school is ready to remove the books of ALL authors who are atheist or not Catholic? or is being an atheist worst than being Muslim, Wiccan, Mormon, etc? heck, what about all the authors that are atheists but haven't come out and said so? (wouldn't it be interesting if every atheist author came out as so to the public in support? doubt it would happen, but it would force the school to pull all these other books too)

I love the trilogy (well, really, I LOVED the first book, enjoyed the second, and tolerated the third), but IMHO, the author is kind of a jerk. I can't help but feel that he wrote these books just to stir up controversy, and in later interviews, he seems to go out of his way to put down the Narnia books and say his books are anti-God. plus, he puts off this "I'm better than them" vibe when he talks about other popular fantasy authors like Tolkien. despite the fact I dislike the author, I think the Catholic school officials are acting like idiots (and I will be the first in line to see TGC when it comes out!)

Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Wow, I had not realised the malignancy had spread North of the Border !
Philip Pullman's books are wonderfully written, I cannot believe people are getting so worked up over a children's Fantasy book.
Phillip Pullman is not a Jerk, I have met him ( he lives in Oxford). He is a deeply committed Atheist yes, but also a kind, intelligent and funny man. Not so much anti God as anti religion.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Wink Come on baby, light my fire!

Originally Posted by eevee
Quote:
I wonder if this school is ready to remove the books of ALL authors who are atheist or not Catholic? or is being an atheist worst than being Muslim, Wiccan, Mormon, etc? heck, what about all the authors that are atheists but haven't come out and said so?
That's why I suggest we burn all the books.
Nah! I'm not for censorship, I just like huge fires.

Burn, baby! Burnnnnnn!
BwAHAHAHaaaaa!!!

[ Be honest; was my maniacal evil laugh (like Dr. Evil in Austin Powers) a wee bit over the top?]

Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
The books aren't that old- the first one came out about 10 years ago. I remember my parents eagerly buying me the first one while I was in elementary because I was thoroughly unimpressed by the Narnia books (and rereading them as an adult, I'm surprised I didn't throw them out as a child!).

Since the full trilogy came out, I've read the series about 4 times and have read pretty much everything else Pullman has written. Blows CS Lewis out of the water, IMO- and I'm not just saying that because I'm agnostic, I've always found the writing in the Narnia books to be trash. I won't go as far as saying he's better than Tolkein though I certainly enjoy his books much better.

If Pullman wrote these books just to stir up controversy, I'm DYING to see what an amazing book he would write just for the pure enjoyment of it!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Perhaps you, the Whitbread Committee and me are sorely lacking in discernment.

I love these books; I have given them as gifts to more than half a dozen adults and children.

I have bought the set for myself twice because one of my friends enjoyed the books so much she couldn't put them down whilst eating curry and spilled it on the pages.

And I'd read them again in a heart-beat and give them to another hundred friends and acquaintances in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Wow, I had not realised the malignancy had spread North of the Border !
Philip Pullman's books are wonderfully written, I cannot believe people are getting so worked up over a children's Fantasy book.
Phillip Pullman is not a Jerk, I have met him ( he lives in Oxford). He is a deeply committed Atheist yes, but also a kind, intelligent and funny man. Not so much anti God as anti religion.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
The Catholic Church has never been one known for tolerance, has it? I'm not the least bit surprised this Roman Catholic school board in Ontario has banned the book by Pullman. Wonder where they stood with Rowling's works?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM

I think they, the Rowling work's were burned in nearby Salem.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I read this article, it made me feel like I should get the book, it must be really good to have stirred up so much worry amongst the devout.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:09 PM

In my opinion, it is a 21st century masterpiece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books