Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times

Advertisements

I do. I do not care for e-books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Don't need an expensive mobile phone,have a Kindle,lol!
Said phone can be had for less $ than a kindle and also be used as a phone. Not to mention as a much more versatile Kindle.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:02 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Said phone can be had for less $ than a kindle and also be used as a phone. Not to mention as a much more versatile Kindle.
LOL,Really? I don't know of any mobile phone that I would have for less than what my Kindle Touch cost $99,don't want any contract either. Plus no way would I want to read on the tiny screen of a mobile phone,not even with a Kindle app. enlarging it,so you get what...5 words per screen,lol,lol, but actually I was just teasing.I do not own a mobile phone,if I ever do,I want the newest Galaxy,but would not even think of DL the Kindle app for it!

Old 04-27-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
LOL,Really? I don't know of any mobile phone that I would have for less than what my Kindle Touch cost $99,don't want any contract either. Plus no way would I want to read on the tiny screen of a mobile phone,not even with a Kindle app. enlarging it,so you get what...5 words per screen,lol,lol, but actually I was just teasing.I do not own a mobile phone,if I ever do,I want the newest Galaxy,but would not even think of DL the Kindle app for it!
I am not advocating either/or situation.

I am just saying there are many options for Ereading.

And maybe you should get on the internet...you can easily score a smartphone for less than $99.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
I am not advocating either/or situation.

I am just saying there are many options for Ereading.

And maybe you should get on the internet...you can easily score a smartphone for less than $99.
I do not have a smartphone, either. I find using them for the internet cumbersome and aggravating. Look at how often people here ask you to excuse typos because they are using their phones to post. Also, the initial cost is not the biggest expense; it's paying for the data plan. If you have the phone, Verizon makes you pay for the plan whether you want it or not, for example.

Trying to read a novel on a telephone screen would give me a headache right quick.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:38 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I do not have a smartphone, either. I find using them for the internet cumbersome and aggravating. Look at how often people here ask you to excuse typos because they are using their phones to post. Also, the initial cost is not the biggest expense; it's paying for the data plan. If you have the phone, Verizon makes you pay for the plan whether you want it or not, for example.

Trying to read a novel on a telephone screen would give me a headache right quick.
Yep!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I prefer paper books but I have read entire novels on my phone with no issue. And I don't have a giant one - just a MotoX. You can adjust the background color, lighting, and font size.

My father has an unlocked smart phone with a pay-as-you go set up and spends less than 20 bucks a month for phone and everything.

I was not aware anyone could force you to pay for a data plan just for owning a phone.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:53 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
I prefer paper books but I have read entire novels on my phone with no issue. And I don't have a giant one - just a MotoX. You can adjust the background color, lighting, and font size.

My father has an unlocked smart phone with a pay-as-you go set up and spends less than 20 bucks a month for phone and everything.

I was not aware anyone could force you to pay for a data plan just for owning a phone.
I damaged (as in drowned ) my "candy bar" style phone and used DH's old Blackberry for a while. Verizon would not let me activate the Blackberry without a data plan. My phone number is on a family plan with my MIL and a DIL. I did not want to change it.

I just bought another "candy bar" from ebay.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGamer12345 View Post
A lot of bookstores are shutting down...I lived in west Hartford for 22 years now...all the local bookstores are closing down due to ereaders. Will books ever be phased out in favor of electronics?
yep sure do. there are libraries, after all

Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,611 times
Books are my passion~~~I have over 500 in my nook but still prefer to browse and purchase books on paper~~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books