Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,129 times

Advertisements

I love books on paper although I've read a few on my iPad. Just prefer paper.

My only concern is the amount of books we've collected over the years. We just did an out-of-state move and it was quite expensive. We have boxes and boxes of books sitting out in our garage. I'm trying to go through them and slowly sort them out. Some collections we will read over and over again. Others were a one time read and therefore destined for the donation pile. If I ever feel the need to read them, can always read them via an ebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM

15 posts, read 17,994 times
I love books. I love their smell, their feel, their heft. I love bookstores. I love reading them most of all and I will never stop.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwalzer View Post
I love books. I love their smell, their feel, their heft. I love bookstores. I love reading them most of all and I will never stop.
You mean the smell of musty/dusty paper,lol? I mean,for real,that is the smell of books and bookstores!

I love books have been an AVID reader since childhood,but 'smell' sure never had a thing to do with it.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 17,994 times
I was talking about the smell of a brand new book when you first open it.
Musty dust bookstores and their books don't have much appeal for me.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Really? Wow, you can bet that I sure take my Kindle anywhere that I might have to wait,whether that is to read sitting in my car or sitting in a waiting room inside a building.Fits in my purse nicely.
And it's electronic, which means it needs to be charged, can be damaged, lost, or stolen. Costs a lot more than a book, plus I am supporting my local bookstore when I make purchases there.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwalzer View Post
I was talking about the smell of a brand new book when you first open it.
This ^^^^... This is magical!

I love reading on my tablet or an actual book. Just depends on what I'm in the mood for. There is something delightful about curling up with a good book instead of holding the tablet, which granted may be lighter and blah, blah, blah, but sometimes I just want that cozy feeling I get with a real book.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,953 times
I used to swear up and down that I would never use an e-reader. Then I received a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas. I have to say that I enjoy it.

I do still enjoy turning pages, the smell of fresh ink and paper, and the feel of a book in my hands, but I'm an apartment-dweller with limited space, I worry about destroying trees, and I live in a wooded area where silverfish are problem (they eat the glue in the bindings), so for the most part, I'm going to stick with the Kindle going forward.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Both.

I love being able to get free samples of books for my Kindle. I'll know within the first couple of chapters if I want to buy and read the whole thing. Many times, the sample suffices.

But I have a little shop next to a used bookstore and the owner lets me borrow books at will. If it weren't for the bookstore, I would use my Kindle pretty much exclusively. It's been years since I've bought a hard book.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 15,664 times
Yes, my family does read hard copy There is nothing like peeling back the pages of a book without the glare of light or worrying about the angle of how you hold it to prevent glare on the books. There is an excellent fiction book for kids called "Bailey's Good Deeds", by M. Lyman. It encourages children to get an early start in doing good deeds in a language which they can understand. It teaches them kindness and compassion at an early age. We so need this type of book today instead of the sci-fi and violent hard copy books/e books. I always look for a positive message.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:30 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
My children gave me a Kindle about five years ago. I love it. I have it loaded with novels, bios, short stories, and I take it with me to the doctor's office, when I'm waiting for grands at dance class, to the beach.

I also buy "real" books. You know, paper and ink with a dust jacket that has an interesting illustration. And just as with the Kindle, I rarely spend more than a dollar or two. Our Dollar Tree has a section of hard-bound books and I can't pass it without picking up something. And I have no problem giving them away. I've been known to put a sticky in them inviting someone to "take me home and read me, please" and leave it in a booth at a restaurant. After all, it only cost me a buck.

I have no firm attachment to a particular presentation - I just like to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books