Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM

198 posts, read 273,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'm so frustrated cause I want to find a decent book that I can get into. I don't like Thrillers/mystery or horror. Usually don't like modern day setting (prefer more like "Little Women" type settings) but if it's good I'll give it a try. I tried East of Eden, was bored to tears, tried Cosmopolis and dear lord that was not for me! I guess I'm more of a time period kinda girl (60's or earlier) but I just don't know what's out there. I need some suggestions! I also enjoy books set in New England. Help!
Sweetbottoms, this is an old author and her books are mainly out of print, but you can find them in used book stores and some of them are still in print. Her name is Grace Livingston Hill. She wrote over 100 books. The time setting in her books was mainly around the 1920's.

She is considered a Christian author. She does quote the Bible here and there in her books. When I first read them, I skimmed over those passages. However, I own and have read all of her books several times. She converted me to a born-again Christian. The stories are just wonderful. Give them a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm an avid Outlander fan as well. Some of the books are about 500 pages too long, but still worth it! Very anxious for the next book!
In my opinion only one book was too long, but it picked up near the end and had me clamoring for more. It was the fifth book, The Fiery Cross. It was the first book in the series that I had to wait several years for because when I first started the series, the first four books were already published. That long wait and the fact that I didn't re-read the entire series before reading the fifth may have contributed to my thinking it was too long.

It's a great series though. I highly recommend it to someone who likes period pieces. This one has three different periods - the 1940's, the 18th Century, and the 1970's (so far). There is also going to be a television series on Starz based on the first book, Outlander. I really hope they don't ruin it, but from the looks of the trailers its going to stay pretty faithful to the book.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
In my opinion only one book was too long, but it picked up near the end and had me clamoring for more. It was the fifth book, The Fiery Cross. It was the first book in the series that I had to wait several years for because when I first started the series, the first four books were already published. That long wait and the fact that I didn't re-read the entire series before reading the fifth may have contributed to my thinking it was too long.

It's a great series though. I highly recommend it to someone who likes period pieces. This one has three different periods - the 1940's, the 18th Century, and the 1970's (so far). There is also going to be a television series on Starz based on the first book, Outlander. I really hope they don't ruin it, but from the looks of the trailers its going to stay pretty faithful to the book.
Yes Fiery Cross was really slow for about the first half, and some had more details about war than I wanted to know. But always worth reading.

I was skeptical about a movie being made but a series could be good. Casting looks good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books