Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

I have to post this in the Books forum to my fellow bookies, and not in the Movies forum, where most will just say they saw the movie but never read the book (or "what's a book?")

Do you know of any examples of books made into movies, and the movie was actually better than the book in your opinion? You read the book and you saw the movie, and you liked the movie better. What was better about the movie?

I've been one of those people who almost always likes the book better. But I was recently reading something by one of my favorite writers, Dan Simmons (former sci-fi writer turned brilliant historical speculative fiction writer who has an immense amount of literary knowledge which is reflected in his works). He mentioned having a master list of movies based on books that were better than the books. I'd like to know what's on that list, but he did say that #1 on his list was Jaws. He said the book itself was kind of a cheesy sex-filled story with a shark in the background, but the movie corrected that and made it the classic story it's become known as, and it's one of the classic movies of all time.

I guess the first one that comes to my mind is Sense & Sensibility. I love Jane Austen's books, but her writing can become a little tedious when she comments on extraneous details. Emma Thompson wrote a wonderful screenplay that was moving and stirring and emotional where Austen was not. (I guess another bit of evidence that it's a great movie is that I totally don't care that Emma Thompson is about twice the age that her character is supposed to be, and she and Kate Winslet play sisters who are two years apart very convincingly.) The movie retains the language of Austen's books and times, and even some of the dialogue is exactly the same. But the movie takes the whole story to a higher level, in my opinion.

In most cases where I've seen the movie and read the book, I care much more about, and get much more involved with the characters in the book, and feel less for the characters in the movie. But with S&S it's the opposite.

So, I'm sure it's a very, very short list, but what tops your list of "movie was better than the book"? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:23 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Two come to mind right away, for me:

The Graduate and Angels and Insects.

But traditionally, better movies are often made from mediocre books.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Kramer vs. Kramer. Why? Dustin Hoffman.

Schindler's List. Why? A picture is worth a thousand words. Also: Steven Spielberg knew what he was doing.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:33 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
I'll add Jaws and The Hunt For Red October to that list. Red October was a very good book, but the movie was one of the best.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:41 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
James Agee's A Death in the Family, repackaged as All the Way Home (1963) comes to mind here; the book had to be summarized and simplified, of course, but it was presented in such a way as to make the story better-understood by young readers. I was about to enter high school at the time, and I'll never forget this work.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
The original Godfather novel is a fun pulpy read, but it has some subplots that go on way too long and take away from the main story(Sonny's mistress Lucy Mancini and her whole plot is ridiculous). The film on the other hand is an outright classic.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:33 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
The Graduate, without a doubt.

The original Swedish movie version of The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo was better than the book, although I enjoyed both.

More recently, I liked the movie versions of Divergent and The Maze Runner better than the books.

Also every James Bond 007 movie.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
Forrest Gump. Book was painful reading (I skimmed through a lot of parts it was so miserable), but the movie was excellent (IMO).

Old 07-27-2015, 08:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
The Horse Whisperer - the book had a crazy, tragic ending that was completely changed for the movie and was much more uplifting and realistic.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

The movie, first shown at the big screen, is much better but the Director's Cut, with everything that wasn't included on the first run, is much like the book, only that the book is much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books