Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 06:49 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times

Advertisements

As a kid I read and re-read both 'Charlotte's Web' and 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' so much it became a running joke in the library. My grandfather had randomly given me Peter Benchley's 'Jaws' (I was around 7-8), and while I read it (and found my young mind terribly confused by certain parts) I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two I mentioned. I mean, I worshipped those two stories, man.

As a teen Stephen King's 'Pet Sematary' evoked a strong emotional reaction in me (sadness for the characters) and Danny Sugarman's 'No One Here Gets Out Alive' brought me close to a band whose music has become a part of my life. There are tons of other books that I'll never forget, but these are the few that come to mind immediately when I think back to my early youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:28 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I don't know if you intended "childhood" to extend up to junior high (as we called middle school back in the day), but when I was in 7th or 8th grade I read and loved The Call of the Wild by Jack London, the complete Sherlock Holmes stories, and Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey. Upon re-reading them in adulthood, I still loved the "Call" and liked "Purple Sage", but found the Sherlock Holmes stories not as fascinating, though still good.

Strangely, I cannot remember any book from elementary school which grabbed me with much intensity. Either I didn't come across the right ones or I am too old to remember back that far (now 71).

Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
In elementary school I loved:

The Chronicles of Narnia
Ramona the Pest
James and the Giant Peach
The Little House books (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
The Borrowers
Charlotte's Web
Judy Blume books

Among others.

As a young teen, I discovered Ray Bradbury and Stephen King. I also discovered GK Chesterton's books, Watership Down, the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings stuff, and a gazillion other books.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Where Are The Children
Silver Jasmine

Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
I loved all the Marguerite Henry "horse" books, & the Beverly Cleary books. My all time favorite childhood books were the World Book encyclopedias we had. I would read those cover to cover, over & over. Yes, I'm a complete geek.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
I went from quantities of "Little Golden Books" as a preschooler to quantities of books from the Scholastic book club in early elementary school to adult-level books by the time I was around 9.
Didn't have a specific favorite.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Oh my god, the Scholastic Book Club. That was like Christmas every month for me (if my memory serves me correctly we'd get the little flyer every month or so and order our books from it).

I also recall--with TREMENDOUS fondness--a couple of girls names Beezus and Ramona, and I spent many, many hours with the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. Was also briefly into the Black Beauty series.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I loved all the Marguerite Henry "horse" books, & the Beverly Cleary books. My all time favorite childhood books were the World Book encyclopedias we had. I would read those cover to cover, over & over. Yes, I'm a complete geek.
I thought I was the only one. The books were holy to me and I read every single page of those encyclopedias. I even took my aunts' college textbooks and went through them, but they didn't mind.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
My mom was a teacher in my elementary school and every afternoon I waited in the library for her to finish up so we could go home. I read anything and everything in that library! Some of my favorites:

Ellen Tibbets
Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
The Moffets
Baby Island

I also liked biographies - Virginia Dare, Annie Oakley, Walt Disney....

Such good memories!

Old 10-03-2015, 04:20 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.
The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
Beverly Cleary's books
Betsy, Tacy and Tib by Maud Hart Lovelace
Lois Lenski's books

Reading was one of my very favorite things to do as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books