Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times

Advertisements

Absolutely! I am old and wish there was more Harry Potter to read. The books are way better than the movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 06:11 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I would suggest that you read them first, and see what you think. You most likely will get hooked on the series yourself, haha!

I think it is a great series that children love, and I feel they are far more suitable than 'The Hunger Games' series which is about adults forcing children to fight to the death, which I can't imagine why anyone would want to read books with such a horrid premise!

Old 12-24-2015, 06:24 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
It depends.
Some families are VERY religious, and anything to do with magic, magicians, warlocks, witches, etc. is absolutely forbidden. I once knew a kid who wasn't allowed to watch Star Wars because it had "magic" in it! telekinesis, telepathy, "The Force", etc.
If the idea of a world in which magicians and "Muggles" (the rest of us) co-exist, and children are trained in the magic arts disturbs you or your family, you probably don't want anything to do with the books or the movies.
Otherwise, they are a fun read, a very good example of the Fantasy genre. Many adults found them fascinating.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It depends.
Some families are VERY religious, and anything to do with magic, magicians, warlocks, witches, etc. is absolutely forbidden. I once knew a kid who wasn't allowed to watch Star Wars because it had "magic" in it! telekinesis, telepathy, "The Force", etc.
If the idea of a world in which magicians and "Muggles" (the rest of us) co-exist, and children are trained in the magic arts disturbs you or your family, you probably don't want anything to do with the books or the movies.
Otherwise, they are a fun read, a very good example of the Fantasy genre. Many adults found them fascinating.

So true there was quite the outrage from the Bible Belt over the books when they first came out.
My oldest daughter who is a Christian remembers watching the Bewitched sitcom on television and knew that it had no occult effect on her whatsoever so she decided to read them before deciding to let my grandson read them. She found them delightful fun, and happily let him read them!

Old 12-25-2015, 12:44 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
We have books 1-7 and we want to give them to our 10 year old Granddaughter. We have not read them so we are wondering if they are appropriate for young kids? Do they have a any cursing in them? Are they scary? The 10 year old loves to read and is advance for her age. Thanks.

Depends on your family ethics to a small degree. Scary? Yes? Cursing? On the light side. But I read them to my 8 year old son till he pulled the 4th book from my hand and read the rest without me! . I thought Rowling did children a favor in not sugar coating them and having realistic, terrible things happen. Just like the world we live in. Wish there were more.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:35 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,155 times
I grew up with the series coming out, being excited for each new book. I think I was 8 with the first book, so ten would be a perfect age. The books kinda grow with the kids. They are still my favorite books to this day and I'm 25. I love the series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books